cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

"This domain is already in use" Managed Wordpress Hosting

So here's my problem: 

I purchased the Managed Wordpress Hosting and had a friend of mine transfer my domain name "generationzee.com" from his godaddy account to mine. I had been using that name for a custom site that he had built for me. But now I wanted to work on it myself with Managed Wordpress. The transfer was successful. I launched my managed wordpress site with the free domain 'ziadsaiba.com' that I got with it temporarily just so I can obtain the site's IP address and use it to edit the A record of generationzee.com DNS so it could point to the site. It's been 48 hours since the changes and everytime I try to "ADD DOMAIN" generationzee to my managed wordpress, it tells me "the domain is already in use". I've killed myself researching all about DNS servers and changes and have no idea what else to do, and I need the site to be up and running for my work. I'm willing to share my DNS settings here if they would help. Please and thank you. Screen Shot 2018-04-24 at 11.05.17 AM (2).png

3 REPLIES 3
Super User II
Super User II
Solution

Re: "This domain is already in use" Managed Wordpress Hosting

@cuthbert22 wrote:

So here's my problem: 

I purchased the Managed Wordpress Hosting and had a friend of mine transfer my domain name "generationzee.com" from his godaddy account to mine. I had been using that name for a custom site that he had built for me. But now I wanted to work on it myself with Managed Wordpress. The transfer was successful. I launched my managed wordpress site with the free domain 'ziadsaiba.com' that I got with it temporarily just so I can obtain the site's IP address and use it to edit the A record of generationzee.com DNS so it could point to the site. It's been 48 hours since the changes and everytime I try to "ADD DOMAIN" generationzee to my managed wordpress, it tells me "the domain is already in use". I've killed myself researching all about DNS servers and changes and have no idea what else to do, and I need the site to be up and running for my work. I'm willing to share my DNS settings here if they would help. Please and thank you. Screen Shot 2018-04-24 at 11.05.17 AM (2).png

@cuthbert22 I'm assuming its because your friend has the domain added to his hosting account. He'll need to delete it since a single domain cannot be in/on two different accounts.

---

@justingodfrey Upon transferring the domain name to my account, it was deleted from his, so I don't think that's the problem. Could it be because the managed wordpress plan I purchased only allows for one domain name (in this case, the free domain i obtained with the plan and not the other domain in question) and I would have to delete the free domain so the transferred one can work? 

Super User II
Super User II

@cuthbert22 wrote:

@justingodfrey Upon transferring the domain name to my account, it was deleted from his, so I don't think that's the problem. Could it be because the managed wordpress plan I purchased only allows for one domain name (in this case, the free domain i obtained with the plan and not the other domain in question) and I would have to delete the free domain so the transferred one can work? 

@cuthbert22 I still don't think that's the issue because you can add other domains in "add on" domains. The domain's hosting isn't deleted from the hosting account when you transfer it to another account. I would check with them to ensure they deleted it.

---