cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted
New

updating DNS records with public ip address

I have a residential broadband Internet connection which has a dynamic ip address, which occasionally changes. It can change due to a prolonged router reset, or a power outage, etc. My idea was to retrieve the current public IP address using a stun client (RFC 3489), perhaps once an hour under normal conditions and potentially even every 5 minutes if there is a failed check, backing off to 10 minutes, then 20 minutes, etc, if there is still no response. I can get an email alert giving me a heads up that something may be happening to the IP address. That alone will be a big help because I currently average around 12hrs to 18hrs between finding out there is an issue, and resolving it.

Is there a way for godaddy to supply an API key and then have a way through a REST call to update DNS records? I would basically be updating certain DNS records with a current IP address, and also updating some records with a text hostname address as well (a reverse DNS lookup). This automation would be helpful as I currently have to input these updates manually through the web interface.

2 REPLIES 2
Super User III
Super User III

Re: updating DNS records with public ip address

@vexh5 

Personally I would recommend https://www.noip.com/remote-access - they have a free version - This uses a client side utility that monitors your public IP and updated the DNS as needed - you can also add traditional DNS records (MX / TXT / CNAME) that are static as well

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

New
Solution

Re: updating DNS records with public ip address

Thank you, I actually had a noip account already and even had the paid service for a period of time. I ended up activating/re-configuring it again today. Previously I had it installed on a Windows workstation however it was only running part of the day, so at times it wasn't that effective. 

I ended up putting together the stun client script which sends me an email alert at the moment. I still think godaddy could implement an API of some sort so that advanced users could have the ability to push DNS updates as needed. For example the python language has a requests library, and a developers guide could be put together with examples to make everything work.