cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
New

Asking GoDaddy, MS Office 365 and Norton 360 the same issue about my Outlook 365 not catching phish

I am asking GoDaddy, MS Office 365 and Norton 360 the same issue, as so far I have not had a reasonable answer on this. Since I really don't know where the issue arose, I'm just sending to all of you.
Using Window 10; N360 v22.16.3.21; Outlook 365; Pop3 port 110; SMTP port 465 and setup according to basic instructions from GoDaddy; Rebooted computer, no joy.

The issue: A) moves only about 10% of spam to NAV Folder automatically; B) the other 90% have the same email subject/body/name but different <address> (phishing?) so they never get marked as [Anti Spam] and always get stuck in Inbox. Makes the whole system pretty useless. I need both N360 and O365 and I am a LONG term user of all three (GoDaddy, Symantec and MS Office). If there is not a fix, is there a reasonable work around?

GoDaddy: As for not getting Office 365 from GoDaddy, I needed the entire Office 365 suite and did not know at the time that GoDaddy was in the offering. I'm already committed to both O365 and N360 for there full suite services. However, if GoDaddy's O365 is very inexpensive and will guarantee it will not cause Norton 360 or Office 365 to cough up blood, I may just replace MS Outlook 365 with GoDaddy's version.

7 REPLIES 7
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Asking GoDaddy, MS Office 365 and Norton 360 the same issue about my Outlook 365 not catching ph

Hi @ace393. Thanks for being part of GoDaddy Community! If I understand what you've said correctly, it sounds like you have email service with Microsoft directly, but are using the office Microsoft suite offered by GoDaddy. You also are trying to integrate your email client with Norton anti-virus. If messages are not getting properly identified as spam, it would be an issue with the filtering, which is handled by the email provider. If you have O365 through Microsoft directly, you would need to work with them on this. I'm not familiar with the Norton service, so I can't advise on how that should work, but you'd want to connect with them if their software isn't working as intended. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
New

Re: Asking GoDaddy, MS Office 365 and Norton 360 the same issue about my Outlook 365 not catching ph

Thanks JesseW.

I appreciuate your rely and thoughts.

Just to be on same page:

- I have purchased Office 365 from MS.

- I have not purchased nor am I using Office suite from GoDaddy. I have just now used the Office Setup Tool that you provide to reset my Outlook 365 settings.

- For the last several years the settings have been Pop3: 110 none; SMTP: 3535 SSL. I've also recently tried SMTP 465 SSL.
While these have always worked with previous Outlook and Norton Plugin versions, they have caused this issue with the latest combo of Norton 360 and Outlook 365.

I had a remote support session with Norton yesterday, and when all said and done, he said

"I'm afraid to inform you that, Norton Anti-Spam feature will work only on POP3 server and the outgoing server number should be 25. Since the email is configured under IMAP. I suggest you to contact the email provider and inform then to configure the port to POP3 and reach us again. We will help you in fixing the issue.".

When I changed SMTP to 25 None, the Test Settings fails on the outgoing email test.

One last rinkle on Norton's Support website is this quote:

"The Protected Ports option lets you configure Norton to protect the incoming POP3 ports and outgoing SMTP ports of your email program.

Norton automatically protects the default POP3 and SMTP ports to protect your email program from viruses and other security threats.

Norton supports all email accounts that use non-SSL POP3 and SMTP communication protocols and does not support SSL-encrypted email ports. Norton also scans all incoming and all outgoing email messages. To ensure email protection, Symantec recommends that you check the POP3 and SMTP port numbers for your email program. If your email program does not use the default port numbers, you must manually add the port numbers to the Protected Ports window to protect your email program. Your Internet service provider (ISP) provides you the port numbers for your email program.

".

I don't profess to understand all the ins/outs of SMTP/Pop3/IMAP, but if you see anything in all this that may give a clue to a solution, I would greatly appreciate it. 

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

@ace393 Based on what the Norton documentation you relayed says, I'd guess the problem is in using an outgoing connection that has encryption. I'm not sure why that would have an effect on incoming mail, but perhaps it's not able to set up correctly due to the SSL port, and therefore isn't working at all. I'd double check the SMTP server you're supposed to use for normal, unencrypted SMTP email. It's hard to say why it was working before with those settings. If you're using the right settings but it's still failing to send, you'll want to contact Microsoft support for Office 365. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
New

@JesseW wrote: I'd double check the SMTP server you're supposed to use for normal, unencrypted SMTP email. 

The Norton guy said that the SMTP port should be 25.

Maybe I need to focus on my settings and be specific.

Currently, I've followed the direction at GoDaddy for my settings, including the pop3.secureserver.net and smtpout.secureserver.net servers. All suggested settings worked perfectly ... until I attempted to use port 25 without encryption (keeping with smtpout.secureserver.net) - which fails the send test. Every place I've been to says that 25 is the default SMTP unencrypted port.

Note: even though port 80 works fine for sending email, Nortons does not support it because it's used as the default for other typical apps.

So my questions are:

Why does unencrypted port 25 not work with smtpout.secureserver,

even when Norton is out of the picture?

What exactly would be the server to use for normal, unencrypted email?

Community Manager
Community Manager

@ace393 In our previous discussions, you've mentioned Office 365 email with Microsoft. Do you also have GoDaddy Workspace Email? If so, are you using a different domain for each service? It's not possible to have email for the same domain on different providers, so that may be part of what you're dealing with. If you don't have email with GoDaddy at all, you shouldn't be using our email servers to try to connect to Office 365. 

New

Yes, the server in question is my GoDaddy Workspace Email, which is my personal email address. I always use the Secureserver server for both pop3 and SMTP. This has always worked with previous Office versions of Outlook.

I guess I don't yet understand the nature of Office 365 -  hadn't thought that Office 365 would be an email server! My Workspace is all I've used for 20 years.

So let me see if I am closer to understanding.

- I need to have my main Outlook account (using personal email) going To/From secureserver.net as normal?

- I need to CREATE a new Outlook account for Outlook 365 (using my Microsoft email) going To a Microsoft server (MS Exchange or whatever) and From either Microsoft server or secureserver?

If that is the case, I can understand that. I may have been confused by the fact that I use my personal email address to sign into some aspects of MS Office, and thought that Office email would somehow forward emails to my secureserver server - if that makes sense. 

Please let me know if this is how I should proceed, as I have not seen this explained anywhere on Office or GoDaddy support.

Please also tell me, if you will, would all of this go away if I bought GoDaddy Outlook 365 - I was confused thinking that this is a full version of Outlook - which would be totally redundant for me. What is it, what does it cost and what would it do for me in my situation, if anything?

Thanks again for your help.

Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

@ace393 - I see. This all depends on whether or not you have your domain set up to have email service via Microsoft. Microsoft does sell versions of it's Office software without email service, if that's what you have, then it should just be a matter of having the right settings. However, if your domain is pointed toward Microsoft for email service, that's probably why you're running into trouble. Providing your domain name would be helpful so we can see the DNS your domain is using, which indicates where it's pointing for email service.

If you are using a US Workspace Email plan, these are the settings you'll want to use to connect using POP3:

Field What to enter...
Password Workspace Email address password
Username Workspace Email address
Type Select POP
Incoming server Enter pop.secureserver.net
Outgoing server

Enter smtpout.secureserver.net

Incoming port

Outgoing port

25, 3535, or 587

A few other things to remember;

• Do not check the "use SPA" option. This is not supported in our system.
  • DO access "more settings" then on the Outgoing Server tab, check the box for "my outgoing server requires authentication". Fill in your full email address as the username and its password. 
  • Use the Advanced tab to update your incoming and outgoing ports according to the information above. 

If the above information does not help, please provide screenshots of all of your Outlook settings.