cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Email Forwarding - GMail "Send mail as"

Hi!

I own a domain without any hosting plan and i successfully. I easily setup and tested email forwarding. The problem is I want to send emails from GMail with my forwarded email address.

Here is what I am doing:

1. Go to GMail
  2. Go to Settings
  3. Go to "Accounts and Import"
  4. Click "Add another email address you own"
  5. Fill in "Email address" with my forwarded addres
  6. SMTP Server: smtpout.secureserver.net
  7. Username: My forwarded email address (<mail>@mydomain.com)
  8. Password: My GoDaddy password
  9. Port: 465
  10. Everything else is left with it's default value

The error message is "Authentication failed. Please check your username/password.
[Server response: 535 Authentication Failed for mail@mydomain.com code(535) ]"

Is there anything i am doing wrong?

38 REPLIES 38

Re: Email Forwarding - GMail "Send mail as"

Hey @yordanivanov,

Glad to have you join us! Smiley Happy

Since you mentioned this being an email forwarding account, what you're attempting to do is not possible. Email forwarding addresses are specifically designed to forward mail to an already existing mailbox. Because of this, they don't have an actual mailbox to receive or send messages from. That's also part of why you're encountering the authentication errors indicated when trying to send through our SMTP relay. 

In order to send from the same address, it needs to be setup like a regular email address

CG - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/247support

I don't think this is entirely true. I have a forwarded account and was able to set up Send mail as. I came to this thread because I didnt remember how I did it wanted to set up another email. I would be glad to share any information needed to verify this...

New

I agree, I'm having the exact same problem. I'm using the forwarding as well and I have done it in the past (I currently have three emails using Gmail) and I got married and I'm trying to change my name and I can't! I also wanted to add another one. Not sure what I'm doing wrong this time or what changed.

Employee
Employee

@sie7e @blakstallion

Hi Folks!

Because a forwarding address isn't a functional email address, you can't add it to Gmail (or any client) as a POP3 address that you can send from. Specifically because there's no password for this address, so it can't be added to a client. If you were able to setup your address to send mail in a client before, you may have had a real email address you were setting up to forward somewhere else. I'd recommend reaching out to support so they can have a look at your account and confirm which it is that you have so you know how to set it up. 

Heather - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/247support
New

I did this, and was in a chat for a long time going in circles being told they couldn't help me because it was not a "paid full email account". Even though I already have several others that are ONLY forwarded and are working just fine. Not very helpful.

New
Solution

This actually can be done - you receive the email through forwarding and then send through the smtpout@secureserver.net but you must setup an email that actually exists on workspace. 

setup an actual email box for sales@mydomain.com - then have a copy sent to the gmail account. Use the autopurge on the inbox by right clicking and choosing autopurge. then choose 1 day or whatever and you can use a free account (if you have one) to handle this function. 

So for example I forward sales@mydomain.com to myemail@gmail.com

then it can log and send messages. 

Something has definitely changed on Go Daddy to make this option not functional anymore. I had 5 free forwarding email accounts that were forwarding to Gmail and I was able to send from these accounts in Gmail but now it is giving me an Authentication error with all 5 accounts. Nothing changed on my end but something has changed on Go Daddy for sure. Very upset by this and hope they correct it soon.

Solution

I spent some time looking for a solution because I too had done it before. The steps have to do directly with gmail. 

Here´s the link: 

https://support.google.com/domains/answer/3251241?hl=en

Scroll down, and go to: 

Sending mail from your forwarded email address

You´ll find the steps. 

I just got off the phone with tech support, and they said it is NOT possible with e-mail forwarding to do G-Mail "send as" so that it looks sending and receiving e-mail looks like it's coming from one address. 

I'm going to transfer my domain to Google and see if that works. 

That wasn't how I didn't it previously. But that technique definitely worked. Thanks davelar7

New

THANK YOU! 

This worked for me too! 

Gmail Forwarding

Hey,

i recently got a new go daddy account with email.

I have created an email account via the outlook 365 platform

Josh@XXXXXXX.com

I would like to link this to a gmail account i have-- and set it up to forward all messages to that gmail account and be able to respond from gmail as that email address.

When i go to sign in via the the link email address page it says my password is wrong and "Authorization failed check server settings"

it is the right password....any insight would be great.

thanks!

Josh 

Hi, I have successfully set up my forward email account using free points, while setting the same id at gmail account for receiving it is asking me for password which i have not setup anywhere creating that id. I am not sure which password to use. Kindly help.

Hi - glad that worked for you. What does it mean to transfer your domain to google? You don't have it at godaddy any longer? thanks! (I'm struggling with this problem right now too...)

Thank you, davelar7. The instructions you mentioned worked.

Solution

I have finally found an actual working solution to this.

Just set up the email using gmail's smtp servers instead.

Full instructions here:

https://tjkelly.com/blog/gmail-godaddy-email-forwarding/

New

This worked like a charm davelar7!! Thanks!

Thank you for posting this. It worked flawlessly.

I originally thought it worked for me too. The new me@mydomainname.com now shows up as a new account. But I cannot verify it!  The email (me@mydomainname.com) is a forward that is already going to me@gmail.com and that is working fine, but I cannot verify the account to be able to use it as a Send As.  Any thoughts?

TIA!

Kathy

Thank for the solution. Works great!

New

This is THE answer.  Thanks tjkelly for taking the time to post this... and your tutorial.  I'm back in business (literally).

New

@mustang_sarah wrote:

I have finally found an actual working solution to this.

Just set up the email using gmail's smtp servers instead.

Full instructions here:

Bravoo!

New

It works, thanks Smiley Happy

Thank you, worked nicely.

GoDaddy, if Google could do this, so can you!

Please consider adding this feature.

Question about setting up an email forwarding account.  I have a client who wants to continue using his existing gmail account, but wants his new myName@mydomain.com email address with it.  So 2 questions:

Does the forwarded email show as being from the original sender? Or does it actually show up as a forwarded email from the GoDaddy account?

If the email account is specifically setup as a forwarding account, can you still connect to it and use the smtp server to "send as" the GoDaddy account? While I want the email forwarded to his gmail account, I want him to be able to reply using the GoDaddy account. 

I have this all setup with a normal GoDaddy email account (not a forwarding account), and it works great, EXCEPT for the fact that Gmail only checks the account about once an hour.  So I'm looking for an alternative, and it seems like pushing the email rather than pulling it is much quicker. Any advice would be much appreciated.  Thanks!

i think there is something wrong with the process of using a godaddy full email account for this simple process of smtp forwarding.

none of the instructions work - i tried them all, tried every port, everything.  still authentication problem.

but the instruction in the following article DID work.  a bit wonky, having to temporarily enable 2-step authentication on your google account, but by god, it worked as advertised.

Hi,

I have setup a email forwarding from a gmail account. Each email comes with the security notice mentioned. The auto-reply email also comes with the same notice.

I read in one forum that this is not a big deal but the problem is the clients who will see the security notice may end up having a negative impression.

I have already purchased  SSL certificate for the domain I have used. Is there any way I can use that to get rid of this notice.

This is not true. Gmail allows you to set up an application password to over come this problem. I have 3 forwarding emails that I use with Gmail.

Thank you so very much!!! As I had already set up two emails previously this way and couldn't figure out how to do it again.  Again, thank you so very much for sharing, I can continue to do my business looking professional thanks to you!

New

Davelar Thank you so much this totally worked!

] https://support.google.com/domains/answer/3251241?hl=en

This is great

New

Whew- thanks sooooo much! This has been driving me crazy! I have 8 other addresses that I reply from that are forwarded addresses and just couldn't get number 9 to work.

and just today i had to use this technique again with a client - so confirming that it still works.

interestingly, the client said "it just stopped working" a few weeks ago - and i noticed in his google account that he did not have any apps defined with permissions.  i asked him if he remembers getting an email or popup from google asking him if something about permissions was 'still valid' - and he said he did recall something like that.

INFO / REMINDER:  when you give an app like that permission to do things, google will occasionally ask you to confirm that you still want it to do whatever it is set to do.  if you say "no" it will remove it - and the 'send mail as' will stop working.  to most people, that app permission (and the required 2-factor authentication) is so foreign that they won't remember doing it or even what it means.  especially when you are doing this for someone else - they may not even realize it was even done at all. 

New

This works!

Thanks @davelar7

Hold Up!!! 

davelar should be hired by godaddy for this one..

i mean the fact that go daddy hasn't put out support with this article in it yet is beyond me.. possibly because they want you to pay for email.. lololol but thats no joke.  well thank you google gods. and davelar for playing messenger of the gods.

Man, you just made my day.  Thanks so much for sharing the link!  

Highlighted

Hi There.

My Issue is:

-I had a web developer previously hosting my domain name on GoDaddy.

-He had set up for me, a situation where I had a gmail email that used my domain name.

-We did a domain transfer yesterday, I purchased an Ofiice 365 email package - and set up the email hosting at the same domain name.

-However, all my incoming mail is now going to my Office 365 account and my Gmail mail has stopped receiving emails (note: both the gmail and the Office email have the exact same name i.e. me@domainname.com

-I have tried adding the Office 365 account to my Gmail account - it will not accept (I suspect because they have the same name)

-How do I fix this?

-I want to read and send all my emails using my GMail platform.

Thanks so much in advance.

Super User I Super User I
Super User I

Is it your intention that email go to both your Office 365 and Gmail? I've not seen that particular arrangement because Office 365 is usually the email client. Your MX records should now be changed so your previous settings would no longer pull emails. Check your Gmail settings to make sure they are current. I hope that helps? 

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head