cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

Email: x-header blows my secure identity

I just realized that secureserver.com is adding my account name to every email I send out, no matter what alias account I am using.This info is contained in an X-Sender header:

X-Sender: jones@jones.org
Reply-To: george@jones.org

The reply-to (george) is one of the mailboxes I have with GoDaddy. But what's the point of having email aliases if every email announces my base account (jones@jones.org)?

I'm paying for anonymity, and it turns out I'm not getting it. Please help me out here...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III
Solution

Re: Email: x-header blows my secure identity

@Stolypin 

I understand what you are saying and what you are trying to accomplish. I was curious so using a Google Suite account I have with an Alias (Send as) I wanted to see what happened - and I had the same results in that when I viewed the header information in the email it shows the actual account it was sent from.

As I tried to explain this is standard / accepted practice with email / aliases.

One solution you could consider is to get a cPanel server from GoDaddy and put your mail there - You are paying one price for the server and can have multiple email accounts. You can then set the "aliases" (real mailboxes) to forward to the primary one so you don't have to check multiple accounts - but you can reply from the REAL mailbox if you need to reply from something.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@Stolypin 

We are end users like you so we are not going to be able to adjust GoDaddy's system.

A couple thoughts / suggestions.

1) The average person is not going to see the header info

2) Generally speaking at least with my clients - an Alias is thought of as a 2nd email to the original mailbox like sales@ or info@ to Person@ - not a way to hide person@ just a way to get additional emails at the same mailbox

3) Have you tried send via an email client vs the webmail and see if you get the same results.

In terms of email sending / spoofing - this is being set to the actual account sending the email which is correct practice - https://cybersecurity.att.com/blogs/security-essentials/how-hackers-manipulate-email-to-defraud-you-...

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Highlighted

Thank yo for your reply, but I'm afraid that it doesn't address my concerns. Do you really mean to say that GoDaddy will not respond to customer complaints or enhancement requests? Perhaps so--they don't seem to have a support email address, and I despair of explaining this problem to some dweeb over the phone.

The way I use my forwarding accounts is quite simple: I don't want to get spam, and in some cases (e.g. social media accounts) I want to remain anonymous. So I typically make a special email identity for a vendor I buy stuff from a lot (e.g. "buy_Amazon.com"). This means that if the addressee sells my email address, I immediately know who the culprit is. I don't do this to defraud anyone; I still have to pay with my real credit card, after all. And since I'm not dumb enough to expose my family and self to retribution for things I say on social media accounts, I prefer to remain anonymous.

Some of my addresses have been targeted by extortion and blackmail schemes; it was nice to be able to simply delete such a compromised account.

The x-header however, contains my real name: the name under which I set up the go-daddy account, and it is also the "base" email account to which all mail from my various boxes is forwarded. This is the one single address that cannot be compromised, or my whole oh-so-clever system is blown to smithereens.

I'm not a business, nor am I in the business of deceiving people. I just wanted privacy. That's why I purchased my domain through Go Daddy, and am paying to have that domain's ownership obfuscated. If my identity is being broadcast with every email I send, then I am wasting my money.

Does this help you understand the significance the problem has for me?

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III
Solution

@Stolypin 

I understand what you are saying and what you are trying to accomplish. I was curious so using a Google Suite account I have with an Alias (Send as) I wanted to see what happened - and I had the same results in that when I viewed the header information in the email it shows the actual account it was sent from.

As I tried to explain this is standard / accepted practice with email / aliases.

One solution you could consider is to get a cPanel server from GoDaddy and put your mail there - You are paying one price for the server and can have multiple email accounts. You can then set the "aliases" (real mailboxes) to forward to the primary one so you don't have to check multiple accounts - but you can reply from the REAL mailbox if you need to reply from something.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thank you for your courteous reply. However, It's doubtful that I will spend more money for additional products. As you say, nobody reads the extended headers--they haven't noticed in the 10 plus years I've been doing this...and neither did I.

As for "accepted practice"...well it may be COMMON practice, but x-headers are not required by the (ancient) SMTP or any other standard I'm aware of. They are optional fields, added by the sender (in this case, GoDaddy). I still think it's not in the customers' interests to do this.

I may get creative. Seems like I used to have my own mailer set up on my UNIX box. Hmm. The GoDaddy mailboxes are only needed for receipt, after all...