cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Helper I

Friendly URLs for site collections?

I recently opened an Office 365 Online Essentials account with GoDaddy. I am very familiar with Office and my employer's locally-hosted SharePoint 2013. However, I am new to Office 365 and Sites.

I have only created one site collection just for familiarization purposes. I have not attempted to create and external site collection.

I am finding the automatically-generated URLs somewhat dumbfounding (as well as the general organization of Sites). The URLs all start with netorgft#######.sharepoint.com or netorgft#######-my.sharepoint.com.

Is there any way to change the URLs into something more friendly, e.g., mydomain.sharepoint.com or some such thing?

7 REPLIES 7
Super User I Super User I
Super User I

Re: Friendly URLs for site collections?

For those new to the GoDaddy Office 365 experience this link is a good place to start. As for your original query @NellieNobody I believe the answer can be found here Online Public Website address to use your custom domain.

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

Helper I

Thanks! I'll take a look!

Helper I

I had already set up my email addresses, so that first link was not helpful.

My Office 365 Admin Center does not match the instructions shown in the second link. When I click the closest link to the one indicated in the instructions, it just takes me back to the GoDaddy website.

Super User I Super User I
Super User I

I apologize @NellieNobody, I have not actually used the GoDaddy Office 365 offering. Perhaps someone can point you to better instructions or speak to your specific issue?

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

Hello,  Were you ever able to solve the friendly Sharepoint URL issue?  I am experiencing the same problem and are actively looking for answers.

Thanks!

me too!  This has been driving me crazy.  I've been going to the Microsoft Tech Support forums to try  and find some answers to sharepoint issues, and my admin panel doesn't include many of the options that native microsoft users have.  I am the global administrator for my organization, but I can't see the admin centers for the various apps (sharepoint, exchange, etc)  Only the general office 365 admin center.

Anyone have any tips?

Has anyone found a resolution's for this?

I believe the only answer is to migrate to Microsoft directly.

It comes at a loss for us, as we have a long term subscription.

I have played with a login from Azure Portal, and you almost feel you can out smart them nerfing the settings, but they have set traps to make sure you cannot use their services fully.