cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gif files in signature

I want to have an animated .gif file as my signature, or perhaps a footer. Should be simple. Doesn't seem possible. Why?  "Because" is not a good answer.

9 REPLIES 9
Super User I Super User I
Super User I

Re: Gif files in signature

Because is an answer but I suppose that depends on the question?

Do you mean in your GoDaddy Community signature? Did you try:

<a href="https://www.godaddy.com/community/s/uniib84584/attachments/uniib84584/Suggestions/188/1/Swiss%20Champ.gif" />

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

No, sorry for not making it more specific, I meant my signature on outgoing emails in the GoDaddy webmai

@rd wrote:

Because is an answer but I suppose that depends on the question?

Do you mean in your GoDaddy Community signature? Did you try:

<a href="https://www.godaddy.com/community/s/uniib84584/attachments/uniib84584/Suggestions/188/1/Swiss%20Champ.gif" />

l client. 

Super User I

Are you talking about from the online email interface or are you using a phone or something? Do you have HTML emails turned on? 

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

@rd wrote:

Are you talking about from the online email interface or are you using a phone or something? Do you have HTML emails turned on? 

Yes, in the online email interface. In the composition panel I don't see a selection for HTML (as there is above for this message, which I have selected.) I see only "Rich Text", Plain Text" and "greeting Card". "Rich Text" is selected. If I go to Settings/Personal Setting/Signature/Insert Image/Choose File, I can insert any .JPG image, but selecting a .GIF image produces an error message reading "File is not in a known image format." This seems unnecessarily restrictive and could/should be allowed by a few lines of code. Doesn't seem to work here either, even with HTML composition mode selected. When I inserted the HTML you provided in your previous message, I received the following error: "Your post has been changed because invalid HTML was found in the message body. The invalid HTML has been removed. Please review the message and submit the message when you are satisfied." (BTW, "Preview" doesn't work either.)

Super User I

I suspect the upload error is because the file type is indeed not allowed? Typically I would just say you could "fake" out the system by changing the extension from .gif to .jpg but that does not seem to work in this case. HTML will also not work in your case (that was for a Community signature). Looks like you could add some text or links as a signature or even a .jpg under 1MB but no .gif image. You could consider connecting with something like Outlook (or the software of your choosing) to collect and send your email, that might give you additional flexibility? Sorry that I couldn't help more.

@rd wrote:

I suspect the upload error is because the file type is indeed not allowed? Typically I would just say you could "fake" out the system by changing the extension from .gif to .jpg but that does not seem to work in this case. HTML will also not work in your case (that was for a Community signature). Looks like you could add some text or links as a signature or even a .jpg under 1MB but no .gif image. You could consider connecting with something like Outlook (or the software of your choosing) to collect and send your email, that might give you additional flexibility? Sorry that I couldn't help more.

I don't wish to appear ungrateful, but how does this qualify as "solving" the OP? You have simply confirmed that the issue/bug/feature is indeed present. Are the site administrators uninterested in providing a better experience for site users? 

<Bump>

Super User I

RedDawgEsq wrote:

I don't wish to appear ungrateful, but how does this qualify as "solving" the OP? You have simply confirmed that the issue/bug/feature is indeed present. Are the site administrators uninterested in providing a better experience for site users? 

No problem @RedDawgEsq, I don't know who marked it as solved or their reasoning but I'll take a go at it. Seems like you are trying to fit a round peg into a square hole and you are questioning why it won't fit. This is not an issue or a bug but indeed a feature. Why is the limit 1MB? Why does the system check underlying file type? Why does it only allow .JPG? I suspect it all has to do with email security? I might know a guy that can make an awful nasty bug, call it a .JPG, upload it, add it to a signature and make people very unhappy. There might actually be people like that? There also might be those who would unwittingly upload corrupt files to the system and infect their whole email list? Seems like a "Protect me from me" or "Protect others from me" kind of a thing?

The purpose of the Community is to provide answers and now when someone is looking for ".GIF in my email signature" they will hopefully find this post and know that it cannot be done. Not allowing you to upload a .GIF file is probably the best experience for you and others. Seems like great coding and security on the part of GoDaddy. Hope that helps? 

Hey everyone

Not sure what happened with the resolution getting marked, but I had that removed for this discussion. Sorry for any mix up that caused. Smiley Sad

So I can't personally speak for the specific reasons for some of the limitations in place with signatures or footers in the webmail interface, but I believe @rd does make some good points. In regard to 1 MB sizes, I believe this was a security decision. The system should also be checking the underlying file type so if the  

MIME doesn't show .jpg or .gif, it's not going to allow the upload. 

With that in mind, a .gif file should be working. In testing of our webmail interface, we actually were able to use multiple .gif files including one animated file. The regular images uploaded with no issue, while the animated image was flattened. This is a typical behavior as most clients will do the same with animated files (or so I've read).

Our initial testing was primarily done in our new webmail interface. If you're using the classic view, it sounds like a bug that our developers are looking to have fixed in a future update as both views should be treating .gif files the same. I'll pass along feedback about allowing animated .gif files, but (being honest) this may not happen as these type of files are at risk of being easily flagged and getting your address marked as a spammer. Probably not the best result you want when sending out messages. Smiley Wink

Course, I could be wrong. If any other member has had experience using animated image files for email signatures without any issue, feel free to share your experience here. 

CG - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/247support