cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

GoDaddy Business Email: SPF record not recognized by Google/Gmail

Hi all, 

Question here. I've configured my external DNS (on a Linode VPS) according to the GoDaddy rules outlined in the Business / Setup for mail destination (MX, etc). 

Recently, Gmail users stopped being able to send to my domain. When I run the Google MX tool, it indicates the SPF record is not correct/workable, though it's set according to GoDaddy's recommendation: v=spf1 include:secureserver.net -all . 

Google seems to need this to be set to: v=spf1 include:_spf.google.com ~all

Right now, I've tried doubling up - v=spf1 include:secureserver.net include:_spf.google.com ~all - which is against best practices. 

GoDaddy - recommendations here? 

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Super User III
Super User III

Re: GoDaddy Business Email: SPF record not recognized by Google/Gmail

@akiraplt 

The Google SPF is only needed if you are SENDING as your domain from Google

The SecureServer.net SPF record is for outboard email from you domain using GoDaddy's servers.

So I guess my first question is where is your email hosted

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Hmm. I'm using GoDaddy's Business E-mail, but the services are routed through my provider/domain's DNS. Settings are below (over which I have total control). The settings are pulled directly from GoDaddy's setup guide. 

So, if I change it back to the default (remove the Google line) I do get an error from Google's MX checker (and also get bounces when e-mails are sent from Google). 

Current DNS settings (only relevant ones to save space):

MX Record
Mail Server Preference Subdomain TTL  
mailstore1.secureserver.net

5 minutes

smtp.secureserver.net

5 minutes

CNAME Record
HostnameAliases toTTL 
imap imap.secureserver.net 5 minutes
smtpout smtpout.secureserver.net 5 minutes

Hostname Aliases to TTL  
imap
imap.secureserver.net
5 minutes

smtpout
smtpout.secureserver.net
5 minutes

TXT Record
Add a TXT Record
Hostname Value TTL  

v=spf1 include:secureserver.net ~all
5 minutes

SRV Record
Add a SRV Record
Name Domain Priority Weight Port Target TTL  
_autodiscover._tcp
grokvibe.com
autodiscover.secureserver.net
5 minutes

Google MX error:

SPF record must be in the correct format.

The SPF string can not be parsed, do you have any typos in it?
Decision permanent error in processing
Explanation SPF Permanent Error: No valid SPF record for included domain: secureserver.net: include:secureserver.net
Record v=spf1 include:secureserver.net ~all

Google bounce notice:

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software. A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed: support@grokvibe.com  No Such User Here

Super User III
Super User III

@akiraplt 

Ok - So you are using the WorkSpace email - so your secureserver.net in the SPF record is correct.

You can see that here - https://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=spf%3agrokvibe.com&run=toolpage#

The checker you were using from Google is for when you are using the Google Suite.

The error message is saying that you don't have an email account called support. GoDaddy has 2 different email offerings one is on their own servers (https://wcc.godaddy.com) is where you see / manage accounts

The other is actually using office 365 so you would need to configure things to point to that.

Hope this points you in the right direction

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

@PL281 

It doesn't, unfortunately -- if I send to the existing (and working) account support@grokvibe from other providers, it works. So, @gmail.com seems to be the only provider not working and/or resolving. That's what I'm trying to troubleshoot here. 

Any thoughts about what would prevent @gmail from identifying the account while other providers do?

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III
Solution

@akiraplt 

I just tried to email to the support account from my business email (Google Suite) and my personal email (Google Mail) and neither one has bounced yet.

It's possible if you just recently updated the DNS / MX records that it just hadn't propagated yet when you sent your message which generated the error