cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted
New

How do you stop an IMAP Server Alert

for the past several days I continue to get an IMAP server alert "Email is too large, limit size to less than 30MB.

I have not sent any emails this large.  It started after I sent a 10MB file, and I receive another alert every 2-3 minutes non stop. 

How do I stop receiving this message?

9 REPLIES 9

Re: How do you stop an IMAP Server Alert

Hey @hbedal,

First let me say welcome to the community! Smiley Happy

That's an usual alert. Generally this only occurs if the email client is actively trying to send out a message with large attachments. Have you checked the outgoing folders of your client to be sure there's not a saved draft with such files being stored that might be trying to go out automatically? 

Beyond that, I think we may need some more details such as the type of email account and the email client you're trying to sent out messages through so other members of the community can help offer a suggestion on how to address this? 

CG - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/247support

I am getting the same error. I am on Windows 10 with Outlook. The IMAP error message started when I tried to send an e-mail with several large attachments. The e-mail did not go through and that is when I received this first email. Now I receive that same error message on every email I sent even if it is just a simple text email with no attachment.

What is also weird is that many of the email messages I have sent after the first error message show size as "0" bytes in my sent e-mail folder in Outlook, even though they had attachments from a few hundred K to a couple MB.

I confirmed my IMAP error settings are correct in my Outlook client (they have not changed), and also deleted all messages in my Deleted Items folder in Outlook and on GoDaddy's e-mail client, and confirmed there are no e-mails in my Outbox on any client.

I have the same error.

were you able to find a solution?

We are getting the same message, but have not tried to send a large file, and there is nothing in our outbox.

we spoke with a tech this morning, and he hadn't heard of this problem. IT'S DRIVING US CRAZY!

how do we make it go away?

New

Same here ... it pops up every 5 mins!

Employee
Employee
Solution

1. Go to Outlook and run an Advanced Find. (Click in the search box and a new menu “Search” will open – you will see the button for Search Tools and then Advanced Find).

2. In the new window “Advanced Find” – on the first line, click browse, and check all the folders (and subfolders) in the email account (You might be able to click the Search Subfolders dialog box, but it didn't seem to work for me so I checked all the boxes). Hit OK

3. Go to the second tab “More Choices” and only click the radio box that says “Only items with one or more attachments”. Do NOT click or add anything else.

4. Click Find Now (on the right).

5. When all the emails have been displayed, sort by SIZE. You are only interested in the emails that show up with a size of 0 (ZERO!). Open the emails and you will probably see that these emails have attachments that add up to over 20MB. Delete them – and then delete them again from the trash bin.

6. Close outlook and reopen it. Run Send/Receive All Folders and it should run without the error message.

Note: You can delete from this file list and you will get the error message on every "delete". When you delete an item from the folder, it immediately pops into the Trash folder. Just immediately delete the item again from the Trash folder. - OR - Better Yet

1. select all items which have 20MB and above, (by holding Ctrl or Ctrl+Shift).
  2. hold Shift while you click on the 'Delete' button, it will delete it permanently.

Re:

I am having trouble with my email I keep getting this notice but it does not tell me what folder has the problem.

Message: Your IMAP server wants to alert you to the following: invalid folder name

I need help.

Thank you,

Maria

Follow this format and it will work, Make sure you click every folder and Sub-folder or it will not work and do it for every email account, i.e. (Adam@xyz.com, Eve@xyz.com). Thank you for giving me my sanity back GDRachael. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Go to Outlook and run an Advanced Find. (Click in the search box and a new menu “Search” will open – you will see the button for Search Tools and then Advanced Find).

2. In the new window “Advanced Find” – on the first line, click browse, and check all the folders (and subfolders) in the email account (You might be able to click the Search Subfolders dialog box, but it didn't seem to work for me so I checked all the boxes). Hit OK

3. Go to the second tab “More Choices” and only click the radio box that says “Only items with one or more attachments”. Do NOT click or add anything else.

4. Click Find Now (on the right).

5. When all the emails have been displayed, sort by SIZE. You are only interested in the emails that show up with a size of 0 (ZERO!). Open the emails and you will probably see that these emails have attachments that add up to over 20MB. Delete them – and then delete them again from the trash bin.

6. Close outlook and reopen it. Run Send/Receive All Folders and it should run without the error message.

Note: You can delete from this file list and you will get the error message on every "delete". When you delete an item from the folder, it immediately pops into the Trash folder. Just immediately delete the item again from the Trash folder. - OR - Better Yet

1. select all items which have 20MB and above, (by holding Ctrl or Ctrl+Shift).
  2. hold Shift while you click on the 'Delete' button, it will delete it permanently.

It has worked for me!!

After some researches with the mentioned method, I have found the blocking file, and after deletion, everything started working again, immediately!!

Thanks