Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Matteo72
Getting Started

How many mails you can send from a single mail address/domain?

Hi all,

is there a limit for how many mails you can send in an hour/day and month from a single mail address/domain?

So..

If I have 4 mail addresses for the same domain donaldduck.com.

Can I send 500 mails per hour x 24 hours x 30 days from info1[at]donaldduck.com and another 500 mails per hour x 24 hours x 30 days from info2[at]donaldduck.com and so on or is there any limit for this?

Regards

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
PL281
Super User IV

@Matteo72 

There is a daily quota on the cPanel servers - I believe it's 5k emails per day (for the server) but I'm not 100% certain on that.

That being said - You are talking about 12k emails per day (360k per month) on just on email address - I would 100% tell you that NO cPanel / hosting provider would allow you to send that volume of email through their systems.

There are services like SendGrid which you would be looking at around $500/month for that volume of email on top of the server to host the programing of the emails - I would also say you would need a high performance VPS at the minimum for the resources required to generate that many emails.

Even after all of that - if you don't have a clean list of email addresses - meaning little to no bounces / spam complaints -  I can almost 100% say that your host & email service would get shut down within days if not sooner

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

@Matteo72 

So part one - blast emails - regardless of if you use MailChimp, Constant Contact, SendGrid, Amazon SES - There is a strong possibility that emails will go to the "promotions" tab or even to spam 

One way to avoid this is with an SPF record on your domain which tells the receiving mail server that even if the email didn't come from your server that it is still valid - results with this will vary - but it's one thing to do.

Part two - general email hosting - I recommend Google Workspaces, Office 365, GoDaddy's other email options, ZohoMail or one of many others - These services are designed for your daily email hosting vs the blast email.

I really don't recommend trying to blast email from your "day-to-day" email system as they aren't designed to do blast emails and you can cause your domain to get blacklisted in doing so

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

@Matteo72 

I'm glad the cPanel has been working for your email - let me see if I can explain it better

So the cPanel server itself does multiple things - Web Server, Database Server, Email Server

What most people will do is setup their WordPress website on the server and then they will setup their email mailbox(s)

I've seen a few things happen with this setup

1) Someone had their WordPress website compromised and there was a Phishing page setup - as a result the cPanel account was suspended so both the website and the clients email was down for multiple days until it could be cleaned / verified etc

2) Someone had maleware on their computer that used their email account to send so much spam the cPanel account got suspended 

In both cases because the cPanel account was suspended the clients' website and email were both down and they were stuck from a business perspective - While this doesn't happen that often - I've seen it happen enough times over the years that I proactive try to avoid this from happening.

Hi

I think I have find the simplest and more secure way to solve the issue.

Actually, I have two domains with the same name: one is .com and one is .co.jp.

The main one is the .co.jp so I can use the mail info@domainname.com to send bulk Emails that are connected to domainname.co.jp

In case the domain domainname.com gets blacklisted the main domain domainname.com would be unaffected I guess

So this way it is possible to send mail in bulk and not get blacklisted

Regards

Matteo

13 REPLIES 13
PL281
Super User IV

@Matteo72 

There is a daily quota on the cPanel servers - I believe it's 5k emails per day (for the server) but I'm not 100% certain on that.

That being said - You are talking about 12k emails per day (360k per month) on just on email address - I would 100% tell you that NO cPanel / hosting provider would allow you to send that volume of email through their systems.

There are services like SendGrid which you would be looking at around $500/month for that volume of email on top of the server to host the programing of the emails - I would also say you would need a high performance VPS at the minimum for the resources required to generate that many emails.

Even after all of that - if you don't have a clean list of email addresses - meaning little to no bounces / spam complaints -  I can almost 100% say that your host & email service would get shut down within days if not sooner

Matteo72
Getting Started

Thank you for the answer.

2000-3000 mails per day would still be totally acceptable for me

But I would like to see where are the rules and the limitations. 

I have called GoDaddy support but the person in charge does not seem to know much more than me

He told me sending up to 500 mails per mailbox per day is Ok and that if you have 10 mailboxes you can still send 5000 mails per day. 

Now you are telling me that this is not possible

I wonder if there is any clear rule about this

Regards

Matteo

@Matteo72 

I just found https://www.godaddy.com/help/hosting-email-relay-limits-27150 which says the cPanel has 500 per hour.

However from as a web developer who has managed many different sites on different servers / platforms - I would recommend 100% against hosting email on a cPanel account.

Short Answer can you - Yes

Long Answer - if you host email on a cpanel and something happens with your website then your emails could be down as well or inverse in your case if your account gets suspended due to too many emails then your website could be down.

If you need to be sending that many emails I really suggest using a service designed for high volume / bulk email

Matteo72
Getting Started

Hi PL281

Thanks again for the informative answer.

I have tried to use mailchimp for a couple of years now.

Unfortunately, while mails seem to be read, I rarely receive many replies, I assume there is something wrong somewhere or maybe most mails by MailChimp go delivered in the spam folder.

I actually do not send thousands of mails per day, even being able to send 300-400 mails per day would still be acceptable for me

If I can send up to 500 mails per day with no problem to contacts that are legitimate this may still be enough for me (15K mails per month, more than what I wish for)

Do you think that there could be any trouble if I send regularly 500 mails per day from my info@ address?

Could this problem be solved by simply created a specialized mail address on a different site to be used just to send emails?

As for your comment "I would recommend 100% against hosting email on a cPanel account." I am not sure what you mean by this..

I have all my mails in my cPanel account and I do not know if there is any other way to set up mail accounts rather than using a cPanel

@Matteo72 

So part one - blast emails - regardless of if you use MailChimp, Constant Contact, SendGrid, Amazon SES - There is a strong possibility that emails will go to the "promotions" tab or even to spam 

One way to avoid this is with an SPF record on your domain which tells the receiving mail server that even if the email didn't come from your server that it is still valid - results with this will vary - but it's one thing to do.

Part two - general email hosting - I recommend Google Workspaces, Office 365, GoDaddy's other email options, ZohoMail or one of many others - These services are designed for your daily email hosting vs the blast email.

I really don't recommend trying to blast email from your "day-to-day" email system as they aren't designed to do blast emails and you can cause your domain to get blacklisted in doing so

Matteo72
Getting Started

Hi PL,

thank you and noted for the MailChimp thing.

As for the day-to-day system I still do not get what you are saying here

My mails are created on C-Panel but I then use Thunderbird to handle them day-by-day

I have used this system since 2014 and it works like charm (more or less)

Regards

Teo

@Matteo72 

I'm glad the cPanel has been working for your email - let me see if I can explain it better

So the cPanel server itself does multiple things - Web Server, Database Server, Email Server

What most people will do is setup their WordPress website on the server and then they will setup their email mailbox(s)

I've seen a few things happen with this setup

1) Someone had their WordPress website compromised and there was a Phishing page setup - as a result the cPanel account was suspended so both the website and the clients email was down for multiple days until it could be cleaned / verified etc

2) Someone had maleware on their computer that used their email account to send so much spam the cPanel account got suspended 

In both cases because the cPanel account was suspended the clients' website and email were both down and they were stuck from a business perspective - While this doesn't happen that often - I've seen it happen enough times over the years that I proactive try to avoid this from happening.

Matteo72
Getting Started

Hi..

as far as I know there is no way to by pass the Cpanel entirely. You need to create the mailboxes in your Cpanel and then you can configure them using an external software. I use Thunderbird but you can use any other one. If you meant write directly Emails from the Cpanel, then yes I do not do that either 

As for the phishing and other malware problems, I think it should be Godaddy responsibility to avoid that, so why should the user get blacklisted for problems on the server?

Just for the record.

During the past week I sent out a newsletter to about 3000 people using Mailchimp, I got (according to MailChimp) severahundreds of visualizations but no a single reply.

Yesterday I sent out about 200 mails from my personal address, same list as the one above, and I got already two replies.

I suspect that there is something in the batch mail sender systems that simply does not work, is it the fact that they all and up in spam or that they are seen as spam? No idea.

I will try to send mails to about a couple hundreds of addresses of my list per day, from now on

This goes up to 6000 mails per month, this would be just enough for me

Sending, say, 200 mails in 10 batches of 20 addresses each should fly below the spam radars I hope.

This is well below the 500 mails per day limit of Mailchimp

Matteo72
Getting Started

Hi..

this week I did a new test.

I sent about 300 mails from my info@ account not using any mail batch system like Mailchimp

Usually, using mailchimp I receive no reply and few visits sending out 3000-4000 mails in bulk, something I have done in the past 4-5 years.

Sending out mail directly I got 7 customers interested replying to me on 300 mails sent.

The problem is then squarely to be blamed on MailChimp.

Mailchimp is trash and I have decided to stop using it

From now on I have decided I will not send many mails, maybe as little as 150-200 per day, but out from my info addresses.

I will create more than one

I doubt I will be blacklisted after sending out 10 mails per day to 15-20 customers each

At least I will try

@Matteo72 

I'm glad it is working for you - While mailchimp doesn't go to spam - very often it will go to "newsletters" or "promos" of filtered email systems.

I sounds like the individual sending is working for you - just be aware that your domain can be blacklisted - and more importantly can trigger CAN-SPAM violations - 

https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/can-spam-act-compliance-guide-business

Matteo72
Getting Started

Hi,

thank you again for the informative answer.

I agree that there is a (hopefully) slight risk that I could get in trouble by sending lots of emails by my info addresses, but if I keep the mail count low (say, no more than 1 mail per mailbox sent to 20 customers, and 10 mail boxes per day used for a total of 200 customers contacted per day) I hope I will fly below the enemy radar.

Even considering that I will support a strong unsubscribe option and that the total is much less than the allowed by Godaddy.

I do not send spam emails, just newsletters about the Japan market to customers that may be interested 

This said, I am willing to try.

If anything goes wrong, I hope I will receive a warning and not a blacklist of my entire domain, which would be quite bad for me

Regards

Matteo

Hi

I think I have find the simplest and more secure way to solve the issue.

Actually, I have two domains with the same name: one is .com and one is .co.jp.

The main one is the .co.jp so I can use the mail info@domainname.com to send bulk Emails that are connected to domainname.co.jp

In case the domain domainname.com gets blacklisted the main domain domainname.com would be unaffected I guess

So this way it is possible to send mail in bulk and not get blacklisted

Regards

Matteo