Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
WAS2021
New

How much of a vulnerability would a hacked email account be?

My Blog Domain at GoDaddy was apparently hacked, resulting in a slew of Malware being installed. I have since purchased the Standard Web Security package and activated the firewall. Also, pursuant to GoDaddy Tech Support recommendations, I have changed my Password for:

• my GoDaddy account;
  • MySQL Database;
  • and my WordPress portal.

However, I believe they also recommend changing the Passwords for my E-Mail Accounts w/ the hacked Domain. In addition to the headache of having to concoct new unique passwords, I have three (3) e-mail addresses for the Domain, and use them on three (3) different OS platforms on two (2) different computer boxes. Thus, I prefer to avoid going through this time-consuming process if possible.

If the E-Mail Passwords were extracted during the hacking does this possibly provide a "backdoor" into the Domain to permit further hacking? Being a novice on this question, I'd appreciate advice from more knowledgeable people on possible susceptibility.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JesseW
Community Manager

Hi @WAS2021. Thanks for posting. Sorry to hear you had to go through all that ☹️

The short answer to your question is that you should change your email passwords if you believe they were compromised. Here's why:

• A compromised email could used to send spam, which could ultimately hurt your domain's reputation, if not cause other issues for you. 
  • It could also be used for phishing information from your blog subscribers or website users. 
  • If you used any of the emails in question for setting up services with other providers, it would also be easy for them to gain access to your accounts there as well. 

The above list isn't exhaustive but I think you get the idea. Hope that helps! 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give likes.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
JesseW
Community Manager

Hi @WAS2021. Thanks for posting. Sorry to hear you had to go through all that ☹️

The short answer to your question is that you should change your email passwords if you believe they were compromised. Here's why:

• A compromised email could used to send spam, which could ultimately hurt your domain's reputation, if not cause other issues for you. 
  • It could also be used for phishing information from your blog subscribers or website users. 
  • If you used any of the emails in question for setting up services with other providers, it would also be easy for them to gain access to your accounts there as well. 

The above list isn't exhaustive but I think you get the idea. Hope that helps! 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give likes.

View solution in original post