Skip to main content
Help Center
The GoDaddy Community will undergo maintenance starting on Tuesday, August 3rd at 3pm PST / 6pm EST. Learn more
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
__cz2
New

How to change O365 organization name?

Hello community,

my organization name in office 365 (O365) is wrong and I can't find a way to change it.

Problem

The current org name still shows as an old .com domain I had before but do NOT own it anymore. Also, this old domain does not appear in my list of domains.

This wrong org name can be seen in every O365 application such as MS Teams, OneDrive and Azure

wrong_org_name_everywhere.png

Going to my mailbox settings, in the section “Account Information”, I still see a reference to the old domain:

acc_info_wrong.png

This could mean that more than just the org name is wrong in my godaddy&O365 setup.

I am using the new (correct) domain for email, website/hosting & office since 2 years and everything works well.

The correct org name should be the new domain I use.

Questions

1. How to change the organization name associated with my O365 account?
  2. How to ensure the old domain does NOT show in the "Account info" and is completely removed (or "unlinked") from my Godaddy AND O365 accounts?

I do not want to have an org name for a domain that I do not own or, worst, that someone else buys in the future.

Additional information

1. I have searched online and in the Godaddy forums extensively, without finding any working answer.
  2. I was with support on chat and the solution provided did not work. They suggested changing the “Display name” in my email settings. This is not about the display name in emails, this is about the organization name in the O365 account.
  3. The often-suggested Microsoft help page Is useless, as it redirects to GoDaddy when clicking in the “org settings” link.
  4. I have a technical background so feel free to go into details.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
__cz2
New

[SOLUTION]

Hello Community,

I finally found a solution for this issue:

1. Log in to http://portal.azure.com with an admin account for your office365

01_portal_azure_com.png

2. In the top-left menu, open "Azure Active Directory":

02_azure_active_directory.png

3. Confirm that you see the wrong/old name:

03_wrong_org_name.png

4. On the left there is a list of actions. Under "Manage", scroll down till you see "Properties". On that screen, you can change the name of your organization to the desired (new) name:

04_change_org_name.png

5. Click "Save" and the new name will appear everywhere as expected with the exception of - as far as I noticed till now - OneDrive for Business (ODFB), which won't change the local folder's name unless you re-link the computer with your account.

I hope this guide (or parts thereof) can help somebody out there.

Suggestion to GoDaddy:

1. Please train better your support teams in topics related with O365 and Azure AD. There was HUGE misunderstanding in at least 2 chat sessions we had: email "Display Name" that you edit in GoDaddy's email settings is NOT the O365 Organization Name
  2. Add this solution to your FAQ with screenshots (ideally a video guide)

Thanks and success to all

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SG4101
Employee

Hello @__cz2 and welcome to the Community!

I apologize for the late welcome and response. Were you able to get this issue fixed and do you mind sharing how?

GoDaddy Support is available 24/7!

Hello SG4101 and thank you for replying.

Unfortunately, there is still no solution on sight.

Today, I googled once again "office365 change organization name godaddy" and this post was the first result. I suppose there are more people out there looking for a solution.

Here's what I haven't tried yet:

• Some technical way to set the org name (e.g. some O365 powershell module)
  • Reach out to Microsoft via call/email/twitter/...
  • Move my O365 to a new domain (say, xyz.com) and then back to my original domain (e.g. original.com -> xyz.com -> original.com). As I don't fully understand the consequences of this and I can't afford to lose access to my business website and email, I'd avoid trying this without further consultation.

If you have some ideas please share

Cheers

__cz2
New

[SOLUTION]

Hello Community,

I finally found a solution for this issue:

1. Log in to http://portal.azure.com with an admin account for your office365

01_portal_azure_com.png

2. In the top-left menu, open "Azure Active Directory":

02_azure_active_directory.png

3. Confirm that you see the wrong/old name:

03_wrong_org_name.png

4. On the left there is a list of actions. Under "Manage", scroll down till you see "Properties". On that screen, you can change the name of your organization to the desired (new) name:

04_change_org_name.png

5. Click "Save" and the new name will appear everywhere as expected with the exception of - as far as I noticed till now - OneDrive for Business (ODFB), which won't change the local folder's name unless you re-link the computer with your account.

I hope this guide (or parts thereof) can help somebody out there.

Suggestion to GoDaddy:

1. Please train better your support teams in topics related with O365 and Azure AD. There was HUGE misunderstanding in at least 2 chat sessions we had: email "Display Name" that you edit in GoDaddy's email settings is NOT the O365 Organization Name
  2. Add this solution to your FAQ with screenshots (ideally a video guide)

Thanks and success to all

View solution in original post