cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Is GoDaddy Filtering Incoming Mail?

Hello, I'm intermittently missing emails coming from a given address (Not GoDaddy). I'm positive about that since these were mails I did send myself: Most of the time they go through, sometimes they don't. Searching community posts returned several complaints about the same kind of issue. Is GoDaddy filtering incoming mail in any way?
3 REPLIES 3
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Is GoDaddy Filtering Incoming Mail?

Hi @obrie234 - Thanks for posting. It's possible that incoming messages would be filtered out. Usually, if this happens, the sender receives a rejection notice. If that's not happening in your case, then you may want to reach out to our customer care team. Our advanced support team can check the mail logs to see if there is any information on our end as to what is happening to the messages.

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

@JesseW wrote:It's possible that incoming messages would be filtered out. Usually, if this happens, the sender receives a rejection notice. If that's not happening in your case, then you may want to reach out to our customer care team
I'm afraid I didn't receive any notice, since if I had I wouldn't have wasted your time, and everyone else' in the community by starting this thread.

The customer care team had been contacted some years ago, for the issue has been persisting all that time. To no avail.

Again, according to several posts on the same topic, I'm not the only one having to endure a situation that, most often a mere annoyance, could nonetheless have dire consequences for a business.

You admitted that
it's possible that incoming messages would be filtered out.
Would you please explain for everyone's benefit the reason(s) of such filtering and under which circumstances could it happen?

Moreover, when it does, how come a rejection notice would only usually -as opposed to systematically- be sent to the addressee?

Thank you. Regards.
Community Manager
Community Manager

@obrie234 - The tools available to our support team have changed over the last few years. I'd encourage you to connect with them again. If a message has been prevented from being delivered in our system, there should be something in our mail logs explaining why, unless the filtering is occurring before it reaches our system. Most often, rejection occurs when there is an issue with the sending mail provider's reputation or the content of the message. 

As for why messages would be filtered, it would be done with the intent of protecting our customers and our mail system. As I mentioned above, if the receiving mail server has a reputation for sending spam, messages can be blocked or rejected. The same is true for situations where the content of the message seems questionable. To clarify, this is done by an automated system using multiple technologies, as is common practice by most email providers. 

As for why notices of rejected/filtered messages are not passed on to recipients, I'm not sure. My guess would be that it could turn into its own form of spam. If we provided an email notification every time we blocked a bad message, it could end up generating more messages than customers would want to receive. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.