Skip to main content
Help Center
The GoDaddy Community will undergo maintenance starting on Tuesday, August 3rd at 3pm PST / 6pm EST. Learn more
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
RustyAuxier
Getting Started

Is there a way to improve the performance of the cPanel email?

I like (need) to have multiple email addresses for my domains (ie office@blah.com, sales@blah.com, ar@blah.com et all) and the Microsoft Exchange works well; I just set it up a day or two ago for one of my clients) but having pay may monthly for each and every email address is ludicrous...

Is the ANYTHING that can be done to improve the performance of the email server associated with my Cpanel?

Thanks

Rusty

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
PL281
Super User IV

@RustyAuxier 

This is a little bit of a loaded question - and also comparing apples and oranges - Exchange is an enterprise mail  solution whereas cPanel email is POP/IMAP basic email. On top of which on a cPanel server it is competing for resources with everything else going on with the cPanel account (Web Server / Database / etc)

This isn't just a GoDaddy thing but EVERYONE that runs cPanel

My suggestion if Exchange is overkill / too costly is that there are many standalone email hosting providers.  Some of these range in the $1-$5/month/mailbox. There are also some that just charge a flat fee per month regardless of accounts but rather based on storage space.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

@RustyAuxier 

One piece of information you and and anyone else reading this thread - GoDaddy does one thing different than most other cPanel providers in that all of the mail is routed through a relay server.

To explain this (as non-techie as I can) - it is to protect the GoDaddy network and servers - if let's say someone on a cPanel account with another provider starts spamming - the IP address can be blocked thereby affecting hundreds of cPanel accounts that share that IP address

GoDaddy has a relay server so that the emails flow through that server and if the relay server detects spamming it can stop the mail before it leaves the GoDaddy network so that it doesn't affect 100s or 1000s of customers. The downside to this is that outbound email can be slowed down depending on how much traffic there is at any point during the day.

This along with not liking to co-mingle the web server and email processing is why I recommend not hosting email on a cPanel account - regardless of the hosting provider.

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

3 REPLIES 3
PL281
Super User IV

@RustyAuxier 

This is a little bit of a loaded question - and also comparing apples and oranges - Exchange is an enterprise mail  solution whereas cPanel email is POP/IMAP basic email. On top of which on a cPanel server it is competing for resources with everything else going on with the cPanel account (Web Server / Database / etc)

This isn't just a GoDaddy thing but EVERYONE that runs cPanel

My suggestion if Exchange is overkill / too costly is that there are many standalone email hosting providers.  Some of these range in the $1-$5/month/mailbox. There are also some that just charge a flat fee per month regardless of accounts but rather based on storage space.

Thanks for the reply! I had JUST moved my hosting from SiteGround and the Cpanel email was way more responsive...not perfect of course...

I will check into 3rd party email servers...Thank You!

Rusty

@RustyAuxier 

One piece of information you and and anyone else reading this thread - GoDaddy does one thing different than most other cPanel providers in that all of the mail is routed through a relay server.

To explain this (as non-techie as I can) - it is to protect the GoDaddy network and servers - if let's say someone on a cPanel account with another provider starts spamming - the IP address can be blocked thereby affecting hundreds of cPanel accounts that share that IP address

GoDaddy has a relay server so that the emails flow through that server and if the relay server detects spamming it can stop the mail before it leaves the GoDaddy network so that it doesn't affect 100s or 1000s of customers. The downside to this is that outbound email can be slowed down depending on how much traffic there is at any point during the day.

This along with not liking to co-mingle the web server and email processing is why I recommend not hosting email on a cPanel account - regardless of the hosting provider.