cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
New

Office365 email migration: all old email (2800+ mails) on server is duplicated as new mail

My email setup was godaddy pre-Office 365. I never, well hardly ever, logged in and used the web interface. My local setup was my Android phone and my desktop Microsoft Outlook. The phone was basically read-only unless I was on the road. My desktop Outlook had a retention policy of Keep mail on server 100 days.

After the 365 migration every message on the server appeared at my end as new mail. My phone said 'you have 999+ new messages'. That sucks.

I logged in to the web interface and marked all messages in my upstream inbox as read.

When I finally went to my desktop Outlook and hit Send and Receive all folders it downloaded the last 100 days of my mail, that's 2800+ duplicate messages, as new mail and sprinkled them throughout my local Outlook folder scheme.

I called the helpline and the associate ('Michael', a nice enough and knowledgeable guy, with roosters crowing in the background) and his advice was to manually go through and delete the duplicate messages. Godaddy could offer no compensation for the inconvenience at my end.

This will cost me a few hours of my time searching a few hundred folders for duplicate messages and deleting them. As crappy as that sounds I'll probably do it to keep my local Outlook intact. Needless to say, I'm not thrilled.

Godaddy did not exceed my expectations in this instance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Super User 2020

If there is no duplicates showing in the webmail... You can just create a new Outlook profile which that new profile should only reflect the email from the new place.

Very Respectfully,

Drew Davis
Navy Veteran and Entrepreneur | GoDaddy Pro user | "Proud to be serving others!"

*** Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Please feel free to give me KUDOS on this topic/discussion; mark my comment as ACCEPTED SOLUTION if you believe I've helped solved your issue. Thanks! ***

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Super User 2020

If there is no duplicates showing in the webmail... You can just create a new Outlook profile which that new profile should only reflect the email from the new place.

Very Respectfully,

Drew Davis
Navy Veteran and Entrepreneur | GoDaddy Pro user | "Proud to be serving others!"

*** Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Please feel free to give me KUDOS on this topic/discussion; mark my comment as ACCEPTED SOLUTION if you believe I've helped solved your issue. Thanks! ***

View solution in original post