cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Skelmo
Novice

POP Email not working with Outlook.com

Is there an issue (starting 9/25) with connected accounts to outlook.com?  My godaddy email address has been connected to outlook.com via pop for many years and it stopped working yesterday.  When I check settings at outlook.com it just says update in progress.

I use POP to outlook.com so I can use IMAP with my outlook clients on my machines.  settings are:

Capture.JPG

24 REPLIES 24
rmcmanamy
Skilled

Workspace POP Email not working with Outlook.com

When trying to setup my Outlook.com account to use my Godaddy Workspace POP Email I receive an error in the Outlook.com Connected Accounts Setup of "The POP Server doesn't support features needed to download Email" and it won't connect to the account.  I can connect to it using GMail and other programs and had no problems connecting to our old Email Server on our old server company so it's something between Godaddy and Microsoft but neither wants to resolve it.  Has anyone else successfully connected their POP based Godaddy Workspace to the new Outlook.com that Microsoft has recently released?

Here's a basic overview of the settings I have tried in Outlook.com and I've used every combination it seams both with SSL and without.

Display name: My Name

Email Address: myemail@company.com

User name: myemail@company.com

Password: ********

Import into existing folders: Checked

Create a new folder: unchecked

Leave a copy of message on server: Checked

Incoming (POP) server: pop.secureserver.net

Incoming Server Port: 995

Outgoing (SMTP) server: smtpout.secureserver.net

Outgoing Server Port: 465

Authentication: Basic

Encryption: SSL

Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Workspace POP Email not working with Outlook.com

Hi @rmcmanamy

I was able to import email from a test Workspace Email account into a test @outlook.com account. If you're still having trouble, I'd suggest posting more details about the steps you're taking to duplicate the error. That may help others understand exactly what you're trying to do and where the difficulty may be coming from.

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
rmcmanamy
Skilled

Thanks I'm guessing it was an IMAP Workspace Email account that worked for you and not a POP based account?

We have a POP based Workspace Email Accounts because of some client software out Sale Manager likes that doesn't support IMAP unfortunately so we are stuck on the POP based accounts.

Rhigg
Experienced

I recently had email issues with the email service and this is what i found.

Godaddy is phasing out this product and will be moving to office 365.  

There are no bounce back notifications for unsent mail

Your IP is potentially blocked without knowing so you need to escalate this with support. 

It would be great if Godaddy warns users that they're removing the email service from their portfolio and that you may experience issues.  It would also be great if they would provide bounce back notifications or notifications about your IP being blocked.  

Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: POP Email not working with Outlook.com

Hi, @Skelmo. Thanks for being part of GoDaddy Community!

In looking at your screenshot, it seems that Outlook is looking for IMAP settings specifically. If this is how the field looked previously, maybe Outlook has updated something on their end that enforces the requirement for the connection to be IMAP. I wasn't able to connect to a test POP account either. My suggestion would be to reach out to Outlook support to see if that is indeed the case. If you find out something from them, it would be great if you could follow up here so others can benefit from what you find out.

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
Skelmo
Novice

Looks like I'm not the only one with the problem and I agree with your diagnosis.  Take a look at the the last entry on this post: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_outlook/cannot-send-email-from-a-connecte...

I tried to override the return of an IMAP server, by mis-entering my password, but even when forced to POP via open or SSL, it returned that the POP server doesn't support it.  I set up the same POP setting in the outlook desktop client and it worked fine, I tried every combination with no avail. Big MS issue.

My work around is to just forward a copy of all emails to outlook.com.  Works fine now, but ticks me off that I spent 1/2 a day working through this.

swimsesc
Novice

Here is what I received directly from MS Support about this issue:

"I see. To begin, GoDaddy supports POP and IMAP account. POP is the limited account and IMAP is the unlimited one. I apologize but we do not support POP accounts for now. It's something we may consider supporting in the future. You can also send your vote to add this feature by going to: Settings/HelpandFeedback/SuggestFeature. Our developers will definitely take a look at your suggestions. We appreciate you patience for the meantime. Have a good day"

swimsesc
Novice

Here is what I received directly from MS Support about this issue:

"I see. To begin, GoDaddy supports POP and IMAP account. POP is the limited account and IMAP is the unlimited one. I apologize but we do not support POP accounts for now. It's something we may consider supporting in the future. You can also send your vote to add this feature by going to: Settings/HelpandFeedback/SuggestFeature. Our developers will definitely take a look at your suggestions. We appreciate you patience for the meantime. Have a good day"

mosgath
Novice

Outlook.com Stopped Syncing emails with POP email account

I had my Outlook.com setup with connected accounts to two of my Go Daddy email accounts through POP.  They have been working for at least the past couple years.  Suddenly, on September 24, it quick syncing the emails.  I have one email from that date that worked and another that didn't.  It hasn't synced since.  I verified my settings and even reset my password to try to get it to work on those two accounts.  Unfortunately, it does not work.  I tried adding a third account that had not previously been setup on Outlook.com and get an error that POP server does not support required features.  When I check the status of the sync, it just says it is syncing.  But no new emails will come in.  I was able to send an email from outlook and have it show up in my webmail on Go Daddy.  Chatted with Microsoft support and they say it is a Go Daddy issue.  They did say something about my account being migrated and it not being available for 5-7 days.  That seems invalid since I am able to get to the account and goes against normal Exchange migration practices.

I have seen others on here have similar issues.  I may have to switch to use GMail instead of Outlook.com. 

johnrg
Novice

I am having the exact issue and have had a 2 pop accounts for years using outlook.com. Now I cannot connect to my pop account from GD. I can connect to a pop account at Cox but trying to make the other pop and not imap it simply refuses to process it and reverts to imap. Tried removing the account multiple times to no avail. So it's certain vendors pop services and outlook.com.

On 2 devices I have had to set up independent accounts to work around. I have depended on outlook to consolidate accounts but only working with one of mine and it is a pop. Only GoDaddy is having issues connecting through outlook.com. I chatted with support at GoDaddy and he verified my mail account was simply pop and that they have received no updates from MS.

Hoping for a remedy soon.

johnrg
Novice

Re: Outlook.com Stopped Syncing emails with POP email account

Same issue. The 24th I stopped getting mail that had been working for 7 years!. I still connect to a pop server at cox on outlook.com but it does not allow me to configure the godaddy server. GD support said they have no updates on the issue as of yesterday. I have had to workaround with separate accounts in my devices or just use webmail in a browser. Why would GoDaddy or MS abruptly change something without notice. I never saw important emails for close to a week due to this.

I posted a thread on Microsoft's "Community" and awaiting any info.

Phynal
Novice

Having this same issue.

I deleted my email accounts from Outlook.com and tried to re-add them. Without asking, Outlook sets them up as IMAP accounts. The only way I can get the option to set them up as POP3 accounts is to misspell the email address when first asked, then correct it later. Then I get the "does not support required features" error.

I think this issue is on the Microsoft side. I searched and found similar issues back to December 2015 on the MS support board. The issues seemed to first hit with Yahoo email accounts - a lot of tickets from June 2016 onward mention this. MS techs have no idea what is going on, they just abandon many discussions.

When setting up email in Outlook 2016 as a separate account GoDaddy email works great. But that means the email can't be accessed everywhere I need.

For now, I have deleted my Outlook Connected Accounts and set up my GMail account to receive all my POP3 accounts. Works great as a standby, but I hope MS gets their act together soon.

shaun007
Novice

we are having the same problem  - asked GD if we could change from POP to IMAP for our email account and they said no problem - there's a fee...of course there is...but it did fix the problem.

MadValley
Novice

I just started having this problem yesterday. Talked with MS "support" today and was told it was due to a server migration. Apparently this is an ongoing thing. I was told to delete my accounts and re-add them but after reading this thread decided to try the add first. And, as mentioned, POP no longer seems to be available as an option. I'm not using the Outlook client but Windows Mail App is having the same issues as it is more tightly coupled with Outlook.com. Both of my connected accounts have been showing a status of "Update in progress" since yesterday. My guess here is that MS hasn't quite figured out where they screwed the pooch which is why we're getting BS for answers. 

drte
Novice

I am having the same problem as others reporting here. My outlook.com Server settings do still show my GD account as a POP account though - not IMAP.
rmcmanamy
Skilled

JesseW here's all the steps and a bunch of information for you and anyone else at GoDaddy that might be able to help.  I would have to think that as a programmer one could pretty easily create a test account on both and try to setup the account and then look at the error log on the server to see why it failed.  It appears to get past the email and password steps and then failing while it's interogating what the POP server supports.

This should walk you through how you need to setup the connected account and again it has to be a GoDaddy POP based email account.  The IMAP ones appear to maybe work.

http://www.cadzation.com/microsoft/outlookcannotconnecttogodaddypop.htm

rmcmanamy
Skilled

This is really a bug in the Outlook.com code but Microsoft says it is also GoDaddy's fault for not fully supporting the POP RFC standards. There is nothing that we as users can do to get it working until GoDaddy and/or  Microsoft make the changes on their ends.

I'll include a link to all all the steps and a bunch of information for anyone else at GoDaddy that might be able to help.  I would have to think that as a programmer one could pretty easily create a test account on both and try to setup the account and then look at the error log on the server to see why it failed.  It appears to get past the email and password steps and then failing while it's interogating what the POP server supports.

This should walk you through how you need to setup the connected account to test it not working and again it has to be a GoDaddy POP based email account.  The IMAP ones appear to maybe work.

http://www.cadzation.com/microsoft/outlookcannotconnecttogodaddypop.htm

JoeSA
Experienced
Solution

I would try two things

Change:

1. Outgoing port from 25 to 587

2. Authentication to "none"

To see the outgoing server as smtpout.secureserver.net seems strange... I would have thought that it should be smtp.secureserver.net (you can try changing it but I thing the above changes should do the trick for POP3)

Cheers

Johann

nzmike
Novice

I too am getting this issue.  I am on a Windows 10 Mobile (Nokia Lumia 950XL) and have my own domain hosted by GoDaddy.  I stopped getting emails around a week ago on my phone.  When I log into GoDaddy I can see all my emails but when I log into Outlook.com and use the webmail I can't see any emails since 15th October.  If I look at my email account status in outlook.com it says ":Migrating" but I have never had a single email from either MS or GD advising me this was happening or what happens next, what I need to do ,etc.

So what do we do now?  I want my domain email on my phone but if MS are waiting for GoDaddy  and GoDaddy can't/won't do anything I am stuffed.  I have had my domain for over 20 years and I am not changing to some poxy MS account or gmail for anyone.... I just don't know what I'm mean to do now to get my GD email on my phone.  I may have to ask around to see if other hosting companies are still able to sync with MS/Outlook.com and leave GoDaddy.

nzmike
Novice

I also have this exact issue and spent 2 hours with MS on a support chat today with no result.  They have now they have escalated it to a senior tech and I will be having another session tomorrow but it sounds like this will simply never work as GoDaddy can't or won't make the necessary changes for their POP3 server to work with outlook.com.

I am going to look into how much it costs to upgrade to an imap account but if it's more than a few more bucks a month I will move all my domains and email hosting to another host who actually cares.  This is appalling service from GoDaddy!!!!

This had been working for a few years and was recently broken by a change that Godaddy made since I have other hosted POP services and they are still working.  It would be great if Godaddy would address the issue.

DavidFC
Novice

pop email not working with legacy eudora client all of a sudden. Is SSL now required?

My POP email stopped working this week. I had it set up for no ssl. Did that change this week or are there problems with the pop servers? It is not connecting and times out.

plamondone
Novice

On the page https://ca.godaddy.com/help/troubleshooting-problems-connecting-to-email-in-outlook-express-318 it says to try port 80. It did the trick for me.

Bigbacon
Skilled

Same here. My windows phone has worked great for 3+ years and 3 or 4 weeks ago, I can no longer get my godaddy email on any windows device.