cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
New

Power BI and Godaddy

Hi,

I am trying to try the free version of Microsoft Power BI.

I have successfully downloaded the application and built some models. However when deploying them it asks me to sign in, I sign in with my Office 365 account which is purchased from Godaddy and get a message "Your IT Department has turned off signup for Microsoft Power BI". 

Has anyone knowledge on how to resolve the issue?

38 REPLIES 38
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Power BI and Godaddy

Hi @leviya. Thanks for being part of GoDaddy Community! 

That message suggests that the feature has been disabled from the version of Office 365 that we provide. Unfortunately, if that's the case, you wouldn't be able to use the account you have with us to sign up for that product. Man Sad

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

This is an issue that one of my power users brought to my attention yesterday. Discussions (and strong feelings) about GoDaddy "locking out" our users after we've purchased our Office 365 subscriptions from GoDaddy.

Can anyone from the company give me a plausible explanation why this isn't available?  Subscriptions from Microsoft for this service are (I've been told) $9.99/month.

I'd hate to migrate our thirty-odd users out of our GoDaddy accounts into another vendor's service.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Speakeasy. Thank for reaching out. After doing a little more digging, I was able to confirm that all ad hoc subscription services are disabled by default on our Office 365 accounts. There are many such services out there, many of which we can not guarantee their functionality. However, there is a way to enable this on accounts hosted with us. I won't be able to provide the instructions on how to do that here but if you reach out to our support team, they can go over this information for you. Hope that helps. 

@leviya Just wanted to make sure you saw this too since you originally asked the question. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

A week ago, prompted by your post, I spent some time online with mid-business support, JesseW and they say it MAY be possible, but Justin with mid-business support said he'd dig and would get back to me with some word.

I've sent him three emails in a week and no response.

If you DO have access to anyone in support who might help me with this (and confirm what you're posting here) I'd appreciate it.

Otherwise, I think this is a bust, and those of us who want to USE Microsoft BI are going to have to move our Office 365 subscriptions (we have 33 of them) to another provider.

So until I hear otherwise, I'm giving this response a thumbs down.  Thanks.

Employee
Employee

GoDaddy Office 365 customers are unable to add PowerBI as the ad-hoc subscriptions is disabled. GoDaddy customers use the GoDaddy login system and the risk with enabling ad-hoc subscriptions is that neither GoDaddy nor Microsoft would be able to support customers who need help with these products such as PowerBI. GoDaddy can enable ad-hoc subscriptions which will allow a customer to add the free Power BI product, but customers would be unable to upgrade to PowerBI Pro without moving to another Office 365 provider. 

Hi @harish, so does this mean that you will enable an ad-hoc subscription for Power BI (only)?

If not, it defeats the key objective  of me signing up with GoDaddy.

Also renders the Microsoft Power BI Reporting course I just bought pretty useless as even their lab wants an actual business logon.

Thanks

Scott

Helper I

A lot of gibberish... 

"neither GoDaddy nor Microsoft would be able to support customers who need help with these products such as PowerBI".... It is a Microsoft product????

"GoDaddy can enable ad-hoc subscriptions which will allow a customer to add the free Power BI product, but customers would be unable to upgrade to PowerBI Pro without moving to another Office 365 provider. " Sooooo a GD O365 account is not a real O365 account????

Will someone at GD give us a clear answer!!! PLEASE!!!

All,

I was promised 4 Months ago that Godaddy would look into this for me and get "right back to me", well still nothing. I only have 18 Users, but I now have full access to my ERP system direct with using PowerBI. Now I need to get BP up and running on in Office 365 online so I can have reports automatically directly sent to staff daily, weekly, months...

I am at the same WALL. either Godaddy finds a solution (IN ONE MONTH) or I pack my bags and move. 

Oh yea I will get messy about it also on social media that "Godaddy can not even provide the FREE products a company needs to grow..."

So Godaddy I am calling you out. Please work with your partner Microsoft and find us a solution or start loosing customers. I will make it a personal task to embarrass you on this point.

I mean its the FREE version I am looking for (HELLO)....

Ed South (COO) GoSwimmingClub 

Helper I

Maybe this is the reason....

In the last year Graves' organization has ramped up 900 users on Tableau...

Graves said GoDaddy also considered Microsoft's Power BI when it was looking at new platforms, but found that it was not as intuitive to use.

https://www.informationweek.com/big-data/software-platforms/godaddy-revamps-bi-tools-to-enable-self-...

AGAIN...

GoDaddy please listen to this...

This is a Microsoft product that can ONLY work with O365

Get on board!

Attention Mrs. Sharon Graves.

You need to re-think your position.

I have used both PowerBI and Tableau. Both work very well. I actually find PowerBI easier to use. (but I started with it first.

I do see Tableau can work with larger data sets better but your business model (Godaddy) is for small to mid size business. Well that is what PowerBI is great at. Oh and works flawless with Office365...

Oh and is FREE where Tableau you have to pay for..

If you don't re-consider allowing the FREE PowerBi use the you will start to loose customers and as I said earlier I will make it a personal mission to call out how Godaddy is limiting the FREE use of Microsoft BI Tools.

This is in reff to: https://www.informationweek.com/big-data/software-platforms/godaddy-revamps-bi-tools-to-enable-self-...

Ed South COO GoSwimmingClub

New

unbelievable that godaddy doesnt allow a free service. im already lobbying to leave godaddy. 50+ users.

New

*duplicate

Employee
Employee

As I previously mentioned, GoDaddy Support can enable ad-hoc subscriptions so that our Office 365 customers can add PowerBI to their tenant. Please call support if you need to add the free PowerBI product to your account. 

The reason why I stated that neither GoDaddy nor Microsoft would be able to support PowerBI for these customers is that GoDaddy doesn't sell/support PowerBI (as we don't offer it) and it would be difficult for Microsoft to troubleshoot any issues that a customer may have with PowerBI as GoDaddy Office 365 customers login with GoDaddy credentials versus Microsoft (AAD) credentials. I should have mentioned that Microsoft should be able to provide basic support on the PowerBI product, but it may end up that they require to access the account itself which they would be unable to.

Helper I

per SwimSuzhou "I was promised 4 Months ago that Godaddy would look into this for me and get "right back to me", well still nothing."

Seems like GD dropped the ball if it is as easy as harish EMPLOYEE says.....

I will give it shot tomorrow, calling support during business hours, and report back my results to this thread

stay tuned.......

User: va8,

How can I join this group to push Godaddy to support Power BI or leave? I have 18-19 users...

Ed south (GoSwimmingClub) domain @Suzhouyoyo.com

Employee
Employee
Solution

We've received a lot of feedback on this topic and we're listening! We are reviewing the Ad Hoc subscriptions for the services we offer and are looking for the best solution. Keep an eye out for updates on this topic.

@pcoxcould you give me an aprox. time line on solution?? I have already run out of patience on this issue.

Ed South 

COO GoSwimmingClub

(domain:@Suzhouyoyo.com)

Helper I

I spent 20 minutes on the phone yesterday. I had to quote 3 times

"GoDaddy Support can enable ad-hoc subscriptions so that our Office 365 customers can add PowerBI to their tenant. Please call support if you need to add the free PowerBI product to your account."

He finally got it and said he was referring it to "Advanced tech support"

Let see what happens...

Helper I

Tuesday and no response... who would of thought... EVERYONE!

I did find this

https://www.godaddy.com/community/Office-365-From-GoDaddy/Microsoft-Power-BI/m-p/64659/highlight/tru...

@pcox @harish Are you listening????

Helper I

Enough is enough GD. What is the verdict? What is the hold up? We are waiting!

sewing@godaddy.com

@SwimSuzhou

@pcox

@harish

@scottshanks

@Speakeasy

@JesseW

@mhunmann

@va8

Hello Godaddy staff and/or support,

Do you have a clear way to solve this or any special "code words" for us to say to your help team when we call in?

I (as others) are at a "breaking point" I have my "Press Release" finished up to start posting on all the main social networking platforms.

This will state facts about how slow Godaddy is to solving issues and how Godaddy restricts free Microsoft Software(PowerBI) due a head VP (BI gal to be named) is still associated with Tableu and keeping Godaddy customers from having the free access to PowerBI when you purchase Ofice365 with them. Then I go into how all should switch or never buy Office365 from Godaddy as it as a sham and only a knock down version not even real with very limited abilities. Godaddy is only a place to buy Domains "that's it" they fail at all other thing (including customer service).

Godaddy if you don't want me to start posting my article (oh and I will daily). Then I (as all who is following this) need a clear solution to how to solve ASAP. Not days I mean hours!!!!!!

Ed South

Domain: @Suzhouyoyo.com 

Helper I

Phone call #2 with 

Alex Tamer 

atamer@godaddy.com

His answer was GD will not turn on adhoc subscriptions for 3rd party products. I answered it is not third party, it is a Microsoft product. He answered we are Godaddy and it is a 3rd party to us.

WAIT they are selling a Microsoft product but another Microsoft product is 3rd party?? Redundant answer 

Step up to the plate GoDaddy and fix this 

atamer@godaddy.com

sewing@godaddy.com

@SwimSuzhou

@pcox

@harish

@scottshanks

@Speakeasy

@JesseW

@mhunmann

@va8

Helper I

Going on the third week and no response. I guess they do not care. That is sad. Considering the amount of interest in business analytics today I am not sure what they are thinking.  

atamer@godaddy.com

sewing@godaddy.com

@SwimSuzhou

@pcox

@harish

@scottshanks

@Speakeasy

@JesseW

@mhunmann

@va8

Adding to the pile, I'm a new startup with a focus on analytics for the health care industry - using power bi and microsoft azure.  Have been using go Daddy for 0365, but may need to move out if this doesn't get resolved.

I have been able to set up power bi free - by adding the license through Microsoft Azure - enabling power bi free... but I need pro and I'm on a 60 day trial (22 days left) that will expire and I'll have to get out of GoDaddy if this doesn't get resolved - no other way.

New

I would also like to use services like Microsoft To Do, which I cannot enable, or find the toggle to do so. Why even bother sticking with godaddy if we can get better service directly from Microsoft?

Solution

To everyone here,

I recently received an update from our Office Teams that we can now assist with enabling Ad Hoc Subscriptions to your account. If you're still needing this, please reach out to our live support so we can help complete this update for you. 

You can contact our 24/7 phone support team for immediate assistance at any of the numbers listed here. If you don't wish to call, you can reach out to our chat support team. They are available Monday – Friday, 5 am to 6 pm (GMT/UTC -7) on our US Help Page.

CG - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/247support
Helper I

Good news for all!

BTW there is a new menu in the ADMIN site, left toolbar bottom, that links out to other ADMIN pages like Azure, Sharepoint

Happy that there is progress

atamer@godaddy.com

sewing@godaddy.com

@SwimSuzhou

@pcox

@harish

@scottshanks

@Speakeasy

@JesseW

@mhunmann

@va8

Hi mhunmann, not seeing this link?

Helper I

see the post from the moderator about a week ago

also you have to call the "Productivity" dept at 480-463-8719 and they get in 6:30am west coast

Helper I

see the post from the moderator about a week ago

also, you have to call the "Productivity" dept at 480-463-8719 and they get in at 6:30 am west coast

Helper I

TO ALL... IT WORKS!!!!

I have legit access to Power BI desktop and web

atamer@godaddy.com

sewing@godaddy.com

@SwimSuzhou

@pcox

@harish

@scottshanks

@Speakeasy

@JesseW

@mhunmann

@va8

I spent a useless 40 minutes on the phone with support and they told me that they could not do this. They lied. They can, and so can you. Here's how.....

Download sign in assistant and install from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=41950

Then install the following two modules from a Powershell (opened as admin) console by running these commands:

Install-Module MSOnline
Install-Module AzureAD

Once they have installed run the following command:

connect-msolservice

This command will open up a sign in window so sign in using your credentials if you are an admin.

Once signed in (the pop up window will close), run the following command....

Set-MsolCompanySettings -AllowAdHocSubscriptions $true

And you should now be able to sign up to the power bi portal using your Office 365 account provided by GoDaddy (I assume it has to be one of the more premium ones).

Train your staff, GoDaddy.

Helper I

A solution but not for anyone not comfortable getting into the weeds or not a ADMIN computer type

I spent about 15 minutes and he took care of it. I did need to reiterate a few times that it is available and he needed to get more info on it

You have to call the "Office" support number I listed. 

Fair enough. I'm in the UK so maybe that information has not trickled down to the customer support people here. I was told that they categorically would not do it and so I put this here to help others who were told this.

Godaddy!

You need to correct the issues around this. I regret using you at all and will never purchase anything through you again. The support has no clue what they're doing and there is no reason at all for you to block our ability to add services. 

I assumed that it would be simpler to just add email and office services at the same time I registered the domain. Was I ever wrong!

This is unacceptable.

Helper I

@ jkraggen, It is available now, see the post from 3 weeks ago

you have to call the "Productivity" dept at 480-463-8719 and they get in 6:30am west coast

Paul - 

Thank you for the detailed description. This worked perfectly for me. Appreciate you taking the time to write it up!

Malcolm

New

Thanks to all who petitioned and pushed GoDaddy to open up this functionality. I'm based in the UK and tried several months ago to get Power BI added but gave up!! However yesterday I called the US number provided by @mhunmann and got ad-hoc subscriptions enabled without any issues.