cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Sending SMPT emails from Gmail

I don't seem able to send emails via SMPT through gmail. I have set up POP3 and that works fine for receiving emails from the server. But I want to use Gmail to send emails from my GoDaddy email address.

I have tried going into SYNC email settings in Outlook and using:

Server name: smtp.office365.com
Port: 587
Encryption method: STARTTLS

But it doesn't work. I get this error:

Authentication failed. Please check your username/password.
Server returned an error: "334 VXNlcm5hbWU6 334 UGFzc3dvcmQ6 535 5.7.3 Authentication unsuccessful [AM3PR04CA0145.eurprd04.prod.outlook.com] , code: 535"

Can anyone help?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Super User IV

@twigdip 

This is a known issue between Google & Microsoft - Below is a reply I posted just last week to someone with this same question - 

I am an end user like you - Based on the post from the Microsoft board - this is an issue between Microsoft and Google - and not one that GoDaddy can specifically do anything about.

I believe that the reason the previous threads have been marked resolved is because there is no further solution.

I know that many providers are going to web based authentication - this is where to add an account to an email client / device, you have to login via a web browser and your device / application gets a token to log in. This is being done to help prevent spam / hijacking of accounts.

From a tech perspective, I would not recommend / advise someone using Office 365 to try to send via a 3rd party system (even via SMTP) - Office has a number of things built into it (tracking / recall email / events) that are part of the Exchange server functionality that when using SMTP get bypassed / not available.

I know this may not be the answer you want, but I believe it is the only answer at this time.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

Many thanks for your help with this. That makes it really clear.

Unfortunately, as of today, I can't even check POP3 from my GoDaddy domain name email on gmail! No idea what's going on! In gmail it says: "Server denied POP3 access for the given username and password."

but user and pass is accurate.

mysterious!

2 REPLIES 2
Super User IV

@twigdip 

This is a known issue between Google & Microsoft - Below is a reply I posted just last week to someone with this same question - 

I am an end user like you - Based on the post from the Microsoft board - this is an issue between Microsoft and Google - and not one that GoDaddy can specifically do anything about.

I believe that the reason the previous threads have been marked resolved is because there is no further solution.

I know that many providers are going to web based authentication - this is where to add an account to an email client / device, you have to login via a web browser and your device / application gets a token to log in. This is being done to help prevent spam / hijacking of accounts.

From a tech perspective, I would not recommend / advise someone using Office 365 to try to send via a 3rd party system (even via SMTP) - Office has a number of things built into it (tracking / recall email / events) that are part of the Exchange server functionality that when using SMTP get bypassed / not available.

I know this may not be the answer you want, but I believe it is the only answer at this time.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Many thanks for your help with this. That makes it really clear.

Unfortunately, as of today, I can't even check POP3 from my GoDaddy domain name email on gmail! No idea what's going on! In gmail it says: "Server denied POP3 access for the given username and password."

but user and pass is accurate.

mysterious!