cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
New

When to set up email during site development

I have a domain on another hosting company that I am in the process of transferring to GoDaddy using the Ultimate Windows Hosting with Plesk.

Let's say that domain is stuff.com. For development, I have added an A record to the domain registration site to point to test.stuff.com on GoDaddy and I am tuning the site there. Once the site development on test.stuff.com is complete, I will change the A records to point to the GoDaddy IP address.

My question is when should I set up the Office365 email? Can I set it up for stuff.com domain even though it won't point to a GoDaddy IP until the site development is complete and the A record is changed? Or should I wait until the transfer is complete for stuff.com on the GoDaddy IP?

Thanks.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Super User IV

@John30 

Email and the website are 2 different things - As such using office 365 involved updating your MX record which you can do at any point regardless of where the site is hosted. 

Just be aware you can only have email hosted in one place - in other words - if you have email on plesk you can't use both plesk and office 365 for your email hosting at the same time.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

A belated thank you. I finally realized that and I now have everything up and running!

2 REPLIES 2
Super User IV

@John30 

Email and the website are 2 different things - As such using office 365 involved updating your MX record which you can do at any point regardless of where the site is hosted. 

Just be aware you can only have email hosted in one place - in other words - if you have email on plesk you can't use both plesk and office 365 for your email hosting at the same time.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

A belated thank you. I finally realized that and I now have everything up and running!