Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted
TheAccentShop
Experienced

MySQL version 5.6 recommended

My WooCommerce wordpress site recommends MySQL 5.6. Currently 5.5.45. I looked at this GoDaddy article but there is no such thing as in step 5 "From the Actions menu, select Details"

31 REPLIES

Re: MySQL version 5.6 recommended

Hi @TheAccentShop

The article that you are referring to is for our older hosting plans. Check out this link: MySQL Version

KayJay - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/247support
TheAccentShop
Experienced

@charminglygeeky, Unfortunately the link your provided doesn't work.

Employee
Employee
Solution

Hey @TheAccentShop - I did some research for you on this one.

All of our shared hosting products (cPanel, Plesk, Managed WordPress, Web & Classic hosting) are currently using MySQL version 5.5. There are no options to use MySQL 5.6 with shared hosting at this time, though this may change in the future.

I also did some looking around regarding WooCommerce. While WooCommerce recommends using MySQL 5.6, it is still compatible with MySQL 5.5 in most cases.

Chris Dean
Technical Writer and Hosting and Server Guru
GoDaddy Help
Organic
Novice

Thi link didn't work as it is because of garbage at the end of the link. I deleted the garbage, and it worked.

BUT... the advice was useless, because the stats didn't display the MYSQL version as promised.

Hi @Organic!

Welcome to the Community! I'm not certain what would make those steps not work for you. You may want to reach out to our support team to have them investigate further.

Heather - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
worthy
Novice

@thedean,

I have an application that requires version 5.6 in order for real time search to work.  It sounds like at this point I need to use self hosting unless something has changed in the 2 weeks since you posted this.  What other options do I have?

Thanks,

Tim

Employee
Employee

@worthy- pardon me for walloftext-ing you, but brevity is not my strong suit.

If PHP 5.6 is an absolute requirement, you have a few options at your disposal. The big thing is you would need to be in a hosting type that allows you more freedom of control regarding the server configuration. So if shared hosting isn't going to work for this project, I suggest looking into a server - probably a VPS or a Cloud server. Allow me to outline the different server products we have available to see which one would be a good fit for you:

1. VPS - Virtual Private Server - This would give you more control over the server. With more power, however, comes more responsibility. You'll want to make sure you are comfortable managing the server, because some things that are handled in Shared (software updates, monitoring, installing PHP/apache modules, security modules) - those would be up to you on a Server. If you're comfortable in your own skin with command line Linux, the budget option is a Self-Managed server. If you need a GUI control panel like cPanel/WHM, then a Managed server is probably more the right fit - this also lets us handle the monitoring, updates, and security. If you know zero about server administration and simply want us to handle all aspects of that while you focus on site development, then a Fully-Managed VPS plan would be a good fit. This does, however, come at a higher price tag.
  2. Cloud Servers - Our cloud servers are a good combination between the power of a VPS and for reducing costs by having utility billing (you're only charged for the server usage in a monthly bill for the space/bandwidth/resources you need). However, there is no managed option. I would not recommend using Cloud for your project unless you are experienced with Linux server administration to some degree, and willing to use your search engine of choice to consult software documentation for setting up your server environment exactly how you like it. We do have some high-level documentation available here, but you will likely need to consult 3rd party resources as well.

I hope this helps point you in the right direction.

Chris Dean
GoDaddy Help
kenny88888
Novice

GoDaddy shared hosting has improved significantly over the years, especially with the introduction of cPanel. However, I now require MySQL 5.6 but currently only v 5.5.49 is available with not even the option to upgrade... frustrating enough but also having no notifications when available and only inaccurate & out of date versions showing at: https://www.godaddy.com/help/software-versions-shared-hosting-897?v=1 (currently showing v 5.5.35 although currently 5.5.49)
Come on guys!

MollyBad
Novice

I completely agree! For GoDaddy NOT to be on top of the SQL versions is ridiculous! I just wrote about GoDaddy for an international magazine -- about all the perks you folks get. So, ride one of those go-carts into a manager's office and DEMAND they have you all upgrade things to 5.6 SQL!

gdchesser
Novice

...it is still compatible with MySQL 5.5 in most cases.

I can use a bike to reach my office, but I prefer to use my car... 

@thedean, your signature is saying that you are Hosting and Server Guru. Do you mean that such an experienced hosting provider with a team of gurus has a problem to upgrade the version of MySQL? Or it is just a marketing idea to push customers to more expensive plans?

I would understand marketing department but not server gurus.

Sergey

Employee
Employee

Hey @gdchesser.

Just want to clarify that I'm a technical writer here at GoDaddy and I write Help articles for all our hosting products. I’ve been with GoDaddy for many years, and have worked with customers through my original position on our advanced customer support team for hosting.

I touched base with our team to try to get an update on our plans for upgrading MySQL. They let me know that we’re actively working on an upgrade and the best way to implement the upgrade. I can’t give you a timeframe right now, but we’ll definitely come back and make sure to announce it in the Community. Thank you for continuing to bring this to our attention!

Chris Dean
GoDaddy Help
rsawyer6003
Novice

this would be great since I can't install the latest version of magento on your hosting.

coderX
Novice

Hi goDaddy,

I am having the same problem.

Could you please solve this ASAP as these updates are impacting us as our services are now down.

Thanks!

Ede
Novice

Is there any update with the 5.6 version update ?  looking to change my account to other provided as WP woocomerce recommends me to do ...

"If your host doesn’t support PHP 5.6 or higher, we recommend you find a host that does. We have a list of WordPress hosting solutions we recommend and all support PHP 5.6 or higher. If you contact another host, be sure to ask them on which PHP version your website will run before purchasing." 

https://docs.woocommerce.com/document/how-to-update-your-php-version/ 

arijitm
Novice

Hello, I am in the same situation. Need PHP and MySQL 5.6. Please announce the planned release timeline for the same so that appropriate decisions can be made.

Ankz
Novice

I am facing the same issue, where the minimum version required is 5.6. When is it going to be resolved? Days, weeks or months?

Last employee answer was a month ago - any changes?  I (along with several other people here) am having the same issue.  I'm using WooCommerce and need MySQL 5.6.  Please update us! 

mramos
Novice

I am in the same boat! An update would be nice.

utmosis
Novice

@thedean,

I am in the same situation. The latest WordPress requires MySQL version 5.6

And the current version 5.5 is causing the new site I'm building to break catastrophically.

Can you please accelerate this upgrade, GoDaddy?? There's no reason people shouldn't be able to run the latest, most secure version of WordPress on a shared hosting plan.

Thanks in advance.

amblerake
Novice

On my php dump I'm seeing the following:

MySQL 

Active Persistent Links0
Active Links0
Client API version5.6.33

Does this mean that the Mysql version has been updated to 5.6? or is it just the API?

Thanks,

earRe: MySQL version 5.6 recommended

Dear GoDaddy Community Forums Members,

Wondering how one may achieve MySQL 5.6 upgrade.

Regards,

Anthony Brian Mallgren

DeanPolley
Novice

Re: earRe: MySQL version 5.6 recommended

The current Server version is 5.5.52.

I wanted to install Magento but the installation failed because 5.6 is required. Spoke to support and they recommended I go for WooCommerce, however WooCommerce requires 5.6 as well.

This issue was raised in August, how come we are still asking for the same thing more than 3 month later?

Deweyf16
Novice

I hope Godaddy is getting the point that holding up the upgrade of MySQL to ver 5.6+ is a totally unacceptable position.  Many of my requests with this organization are met with "well, you need to upgrade your service."  I will upgrade my service, but trust me, it won't be with Godaddy!

doitsimple
Novice

I am in the same boat! An update would be nice. please!

Deweyf16 wrote:

I hope Godaddy is getting the point that holding up the upgrade of MySQL to ver 5.6+ is a totally unacceptable position.  Many of my requests with this organization are met with "well, you need to upgrade your service."  I will upgrade my service, but trust me, it won't be with Godaddy!

tomfig
Novice

If my customers want anything other than a generic WordPress blog, I have to host them someplace else. Not having the latest versions of MySQL and PHP means that sites designed on other servers can't be transferred to GoDaddy because of SQL compatibility issues. REST applications developed on PHP7 and MySQL are useless on GoDaddy shared server. Can I build my site on legacy software, yes. will it be competitive on speed and flexibility, NO. Woocommerce may work fine on older versions of MySQL Now, but what happens at the next Woocommerce update. Can I afford to invest the resources in a site that may go down at anytime and embarrass me and cost my customer sales.  GoDaddy has lost my respect. They need to reach into those deep pockets and spend some money on research. 

tomfig
Novice

GoDaddy says sign up for their WordPress hosting package, it has 5.6

JSiverson
Novice

Is this still the case?  I cannot install Magento using YOUR TOOLS due to the lack of MySQL 5.6, I am still showing 5.5.52.  This was started 6 months ago, and I need this.  I will have to go elsewhere soon if something doesn't change.

Please hook a brother up!

cleobaby74
Novice

Managed hosting has really low resource levels and no way of upgrading them.  Anything that would require 5.6 would outstrip those resources quickly and you would be powerless to do anything about it.  Just FYI.

GrafixNana
Novice

Its now November 2017, and we are still at MYSQL 5.5 with no chance of upgrading to a recommended version of 5.6?  I have been a loyal customer for many many years...  looks like time to change hosting providers.

Hey @GrafixNana,

Currently our WordPress and cPanel shared/business hosting plans support MySQL 5.6.33. If you're on an older hosting plan, you'll need to switch to cPanel hosting to have this current version of MySQL available. 

CG - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
mwindsor
Apprentice

Hi @CG 

I just switched to the cPanel business hosting plan, but my WooCommerce status page shows that MySQL version is still 5.5.43.  Is there something I need to do to upgrade to MySQL 5.6.33?

Thanks,

Mary