cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
51MPLYR3DD
Novice

SSH Connection Failure

I realize that SSH is covered extensively, but after reviewing the threads and help topics my problem persists after several days of trying to solve the problem on my own.

When I navigate through cPanel to my SSH settings it asks me to enable SSH as laid out by the instructions here:

https://www.godaddy.com/help/enable-ssh-16102?v=1

As a note: every time I go to SSH settings it asks me to enable and the setting does not seem to hold.

I have created and authorized a key. I attempt to log in using the method prescribed here:

https://www.godaddy.com/help/connect-to-your-server-or-shared-hosting-account-with-ssh-4943

I have verified that the password I am using is correct by setting the password multiple times using the instructions here:

https://www.godaddy.com/help/reset-your-ftp-password-16011

All that being done, when I attempt to connect using PuTTY I get the error:

PuTTY Fatal Error

Network error: Software caused connection abort

I have attempted to connect using PowerShell to get more information and get the following:

PS C:\Users\XXXXXXXXXX> New-SSHSession -ComputerName XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX -Port 22
cmdlet New-SSHSession at command pipeline position 1
Supply values for the following parameters:
New-SSHSession : Server response does not contain SSH protocol identification.
At line:1 char:1
+ New-SSHSession -ComputerName XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX -Port 22
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : SecurityError: (Renci.SshNet.SshClientSmiley FrustratedshClient) [New-SSHSession], SshConnectionExcep 
   tion
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : SSH.NewSshSession

I have talked to customer support, who directed me to the help files and to search for YouTube videos to ensure I am not missing a step. Having read them, executed the steps, and watched the videos I can not see anything they are doing that I have not done already.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

8 REPLIES
Pro Community Founder Mentor Pro Community Founder Mentor
Pro Community Founder Mentor

Re: SSH Connection Failure

Are you able to connect via sftp like winSCP?  The most common problem I encounter using ssh is getting locked out.  Call support again and make sure that your IP is not black listed due to multiple failed attempt.

~Jan Mykhail Hasselbring Web Administrator @ wwwR.us
Email:support@wwwr.us Phone:4435-WWW R US or (443) 599-9787

Smiley Very Happy

LOL
51MPLYR3DD
Novice

Yes, I am able to connect using WinSCP without issue. I will try to contact support about the IP address. Thank you for the input.

51MPLYR3DD
Novice

Correction, I am unable to connect via SFTP, I was thinking FTP via SSL/TSL.

When attempting to connect via SFTP I get the same "Software caused connection abort" message as with PuTTY.

Solution

Ok, your next move would be to make sure that your IP is not blocked...

Smiley Very Happy

LOL
51MPLYR3DD
Novice

After about 45 minutes on the phone they figured it out and got my account unblocked. Thank you very much for the advice.

No problem, btw, you should take a look into passwordless ssh.  Doing a passwordless ssh has 2 major benefits, 1 - Convenience, you want have to type your password every time, 2 - Secure - if you disable password login and only allow passwordless key, you will prevent hackers from brute forcing your VPS.

Smiley Very Happy

LOL
tws
Novice

I had similar issue and switching public IP address helped me to login into GoDaddy using SSH

https://youtu.be/RwV_JxA-AYI

weygold
Novice

I'm having this same problem and the only thing that's helping is that I can change my ip address through a vpn app.