Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Unable to access SSH

I'm using mac to access. I tried to ssh to the system, but failed.

I tried:

and used my username and password for godaddy.

After a few tries, seems like the server blocked me. I received:

ssh_exchange_identification: read: Connection reset by peer

Can someone help me?

Re: Unable to access SSH

Hello there,

I use a program called, "putty", for ssh access . Not sure if I ever used that handy little button g/d gave us........

Hope this bumps your question up in line......

Mrsroadrunner Photography

Hey @cinsiong,

First let me say welcome to the community! Smiley Happy

Sounds like you might be using your account login information for the customer account and not the one specified for your hosting plan. Those are usually separate. Just in case, you might try a reset

If you're still seeing an issue with SSH access after trying this, you may want to reach out to our live support so our hosting team can look at the account directly to see what's preventing access.

CG - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at

None of any reply helps!

I am having the same problem. After several times try. My server blocked me, since I can access SSH from another computer. I consult a lot of godaddy support, they are totally not helpful. I am now trying to back up all files from my server and restart over it. Godaddy didn't write everything clearly and we have to figure it out by ourself!!!! (On gateway page, settings, you can restart your server.)

Also, I am not sure whether that way would help. If I restart over the server and everything screw me up again, I will hit my glass!

Yeah, I agree with you Ricky, I am having the exactly same problem and I tried a few times to speak with the support team and they don't know what to do, they just say it will be investigated for one of our engineer and after that the issue still there and they didn't do anything. Also, one time they told me that ssh won't be necessary, if I have access to the FTP which it is a totally wrong answer from a support guy.

I also, tried to explain them that the issue is not with access to the control panel or FTP,  the real issue is because the server for some reason after you fail 3 times to access though ssh, it blocks you.

So they should be able to  verify the firewalls o iptables and remove our IP from there and add our IPs to a white list.

Another one having the exact same issue.

I speak with GoDaddy and they blame my ISP. I speak with my ISP and they blame GoDaddy.

Very frustrating.

CG is correct, but the problems I ran into is that it was not obvious what user I was supposed to be using. I always logged into godaddy with my account information and I never used the login info that you are apparently supposed to use for ssh.

But the account info you are supposed to be using is the Special FTP Account. CG is right about how to reset the password, but you have to go here to find the username.

But you'll probably still have to call and get your IP unblocked if you are getting the "connection reset by peer" error

i am also facing same problem. how do you solve this

+1 same problem here 

Nothing helps.. not even ssh keys

Yes! use Primary ID user can access ssh without problem now! 

I had exactly the same problem yesterday and was on a 'chat' with support for about 2 hours.

I was using Putty as my PC client.  I use cPanel on godaddy.

In short what I did (some with the direction of support)

- Activate SSH (cPanel->SSH Access)

- Create a public key for SSH

- Change Settings (Manage my account -> Setting button)

- Select Password tab

- Change the Password for the account (I took over the site from someone else and he didn't have the site's password)

- Identify the username for the account

- cPanel -> Files ->FTP Accounts

- The username for the site is under Special FTP Accounts  It is under Log In column and has a path pointing to your home directory

- Obtain site's IP address (cPanel->Website(s) IP Address)

- Using Putty:

- IP address in the Host Name (or IP address)

- Port 22

- Connection Type SSH

Hope this helps.

In the last few days I've started getting an error message from ssh and sftp when I try to connect to my GoDaddy-hosted Web site: "Unable to negotiate with port 22: no matching host key type found. Their offer: ssh-dss"

So I looked that message up and found which says

1) the "right" answer is for the host to upgrade its encryption to something stronger than ssh-dss, but

2) if you can't wait for that, you can add "HostKeyAlgorithms +ssh-dss" to the relevant host entry in your .ssh/config file

I did #2, and am now able to get into my account again, but it sounds like somebody at GoDaddy Web Hosting would need to take care of #1.

I had the same problem. I use the Mac 'Terminal' to log onto the server with:

I found a solution here. By doing this it worked:

"ssh -oHostKeyAlgorithms=+ssh-dss".

Unable to access SSH

Hi , 

I have purchased new server and created server on 13-feb-2017 , I was able to login using username ,

but now I am unable to login it is asking every time,'s password:

even if I i give correct user and pwd , its not working.

01. I am able to access from (WHM)

02. I enabled root access on my account

03. I restarted my server couple of times 

please help.

I also had this same problem after upgrading my server for more resources.  Now, I am unable to login via SSH.

1. Why post your ip for every hacker to see?

2. You got a New server eh?

3. if yes, then reprovision it, ez fix.

4. if no, then you did something to it.

5. a Managed server would have more help available from GD

Git remote add origin GoDaddy

im trying to modify the code of my websites online from my laptop using git but i have the next error

Unable to negotiate with 5x.xx.xx.1 port 22: no matching host key type found. Their offer: ssh-dss
fatal: Could not read from remote repository.

Please make sure you have the correct access rights
and the repository exists.

The repository exist and i did the conexion...
git remote add origin

dont know if this is correct or not

anyone can help me to sort this out once and for all?.

thanks a lot

I am having same issue.  I am unable to get WinSCP working.  I created a key pair, and am using the special FTP name without a password.  I cannot get in.  Am I doing it wrong or is there something GoDaddy is doing that makes this not possible?

problem with connecting Putty via SSH

I have been trying to connect Putty via SSH as I require composer to develop my Drupal site. 

I have set up my FTP accounts and have been using Filezilla with one account so it is working. I have also set up another in the process of trying to get this to work.

I now try and connect to the same account using Putty. I use the website I.P and leave the port at 22 (when I change port to 21 which matches the FTP config it will not connect) to connect then at the prompt I enter the correct FTP account name and then the correct Password. Then it tells me access denied. 

I have not had to use SSH access before and I am finding this rather confusing and hard to get help from the help desk on. It is slowing my whole project. Anyone have any possible solutions. Thanks.

Hi @CMG_Webmaster, what type of server are you using, and are you getting any particular error message?

I am using a linux server. 

Could you please explain the steps to setting up this connection using Putty.

I require the use of Composer for development of my Drupal sites.

Unable to access SSH

Unable to access my web site and also unable to ping it.

Thanks for posting your message, it helped me.  

I was able to ssh to godaddy from work.  I called tech support for the 5th or 6th night in a row, and insisted they were blacklisting me.  I talked to Armando and he was able to fix it quickly.  

The first few calls, the godaddy tech would ssh in themselves, from godaddy (a white-listed ip address) and reported no problems.  So the test itself was misleading.  They concluded it was a problem on my end but it wasn't.

I asked them to add that to the help system, that "Connection reset by peer" means that

(a) godaddy is terminating the connection, not the client.

(b) it may mean the user tried to log in too many times badly, and was blacklisted.

It sounds overly sensitive, 3 strikes and you're out.  So be careful with those passwords!!!