Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTTP error uploading pictures to wordpress

SOLVED
Go to Solution
Novice

HTTP error uploading pictures to wordpress

[ Edited ]

I am starting to get frustrated with this error.  I have yet to be able to load one pic to my site.  I have tried all the methods through Wordpress and currently am running the most up to date version of wp. Can anyone please give me some insight?

Thanks

29 REPLIES
GoDaddy Pro

Re: HTTP error loading pictures to wordpress

It could be any number of things.  For starters, I'd check to make sure you're running php5.  I'd imagine you probably are, but an incompatible version of php is a common source of that problem.

I'm assuming the error is just the "HTTP error" when you're trying the upload?

Mike
Web Developer at BOLDelite.com
Novice

How do I check the version of php5, this is a brand new hosting account and yes it just says http error when trying to upload image.  I have tried the multi-file and browser version

GoDaddy Pro

[ Edited ]

@coloradod, honestly, I'd be surprised if you aren't on php5, but to see what version you're running, create a phpinfo page.  I've written up a quick tutorial for you here.  If I need to clarify any of the instructions on that page, please just let me know.

If you find you're running php5, I might try disabling all your plugins and see if that resolves the issue.

Did you install WordPress on the server yourself, or is it a prepackaged WordPress deal through GoDaddy?

Mike
Skilled

HTTP error loading pictures to wordpress

I am having http://errors trying to upload visual/text editor not working just swirls and times out

Skilled

HTTP error loading pictures to wordpress

I have called numerous times trying to get helpnoone can fix the problem im paying for something i cant you i am using wordpress managed sites with the dashboard i have tried uninstalling plugins changing browsers internet connections trouble shooting plugins and because i do not have permissions i need the plugins do notwork i keep getting http errors and visual to text editor not working im going to lose my mind
Skilled

I am really new at all of this so let me check out the instructions and I will let you know thankyou soooo much!!

Skilled

I have a wordpress dashboard and sql is that different?

GoDaddy Pro

Yes, those are different.  SQL is essentially a database language, which is used to store the data that powers your WordPress site.

Can you try to describe your issue in more detail?  It's hard to say exactly what you're running into.

Also, in future, you should probably start a new topic when you have a new problem like that.  I don't know the specific community rules regarding that here, but in general, you don't typically add a new problem to an existing topic like this.

Mike
Skilled

mysql 5.7

Novice

I am having the exact same problem. I am currently using the hosted Wordpress package and oddly all of the other 4 or so WP sites I have work fine... but this one site keeps coming up with HTTP Errors on media uploading. I've erased and reset, reinstalled WP innumerable times, cleared cache, diabled plugins... but the problem is its not easy to get onto this thing with an FTP because its a prepacked WP hosting. No CPannel backend.

Anyone?

Re: HTTP error uploading pictures to wordpress

[ Edited ]

@neuronyc22

I was getting an http error and FINALLY found the solution. This is a known issue in WordPress 4.5, but has to do with Imagick.

Here’s the official thread for 4.5. https://wordpress.org/support/topic/read-this-first-wordpress-45-master-list

Here’s what fixed my issue:https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/36534#comment:7

and here’s WordPress’s official patch.https://core.trac.wordpress.org/.../ticket/36534/36534.diff

I did all of them and it worked for a minute, then it went kaput again. This was several weeks ago.

I'm still trying to figure out a true fix, but if this works for you, at least one less person is frustrated.

WP 4.6 is slated to fix this, but it hasn't been officially released yet.

Novice

I've got the saaaaaaaaaaaaaame issue. Been trying to deal with this for days now. I'm a photographer and I got hosting with Godaddy (and a Wordpress template) in order to put photos online. Now I can't upload any picture larger than about 120kb. It just says "HTTP Error." 

Apparently the way to solve this was to disable FastCGI but I've been told that Godaddy was aware of this issue and, for some reason, changed their setting so that users can't disable FastCGI. 

I don't know if anyone has dealt with this, but nothing is working right now. The template I have is designed for photo galleries, so I really doubt it's an issue with the WP.

Novice

This is frustrating, also have deleted and reinstalled and can't upload any images.

I lost all my content when I deleted , I can't believe they offer this solution and yet it doesn't work.

I know it's just $1 but would've rather used that dollar for something that actually works.

@Reed@msada,

Actually, I believe both of your issues might be related to a specific alert we have on one of our servers that is affecting image and theme uploads within Managed WordPress sites. I can't verify from here, but you can reach out to our live support so our hosting team can review each of your sites and confirm the server/IP you're both on. 

If it is related, they'll get you added to the example list our admins are already working on to get this resolved for you. 

CG - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/247support

I'm having this issue as well, only I'm able to upload from an old laptop but not the desktop PC on which I edit and store all of my images (I'm a photographer) - this issue started a couple days ago, and I've made no changes to anything on my machine since I was last able to upload images on Wednesday.

Is the issue with GoDaddy or WP? Because if it's GoDaddy I'll switch hosts right now.

Hello @SoundboardMag!

Welcome to the Community! Looks like @futuremrsvines posted an accepted solution for this issue. Were you able to review and try her suggestions?

Heather - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/247support
Novice

This remedy does not work!!!!!! Cannot upload anything , cannot change  or update anything on my website. Can not download any pictures! It's basically dead in the water. What the hell am I paying for here. It's been this way for almost a week. All I get is "Will working on it". Great then pay me all the time I have been screwing around with this nonsense. Fix the **bleep** problem that's what we're paying godaddy for  GOOD Hosting. It's never worked ever since I've got it. Smiley Sad. It's 2 o'clock in the morning I'm tired I've done everything I possibly can to fix this problem and it just will not go away..  Please fix it everybody's having this problem just not me.  Okay I think I've got this off my chest I'm going to bed hopefully this will be fixed. 

Novice

[ Edited ]

I've been dealing with this for over a month, and my website is primarily photography-based...so to say it's irritating is putting it mildly.  Why am I paying for this???

I've upgraded to 4.6.1, all my plugins and themes are current, and it happens with every. single. photo.  (When it first started happening, I could get one or two through.)  Ugh!

And all my photos are 2-3 MB, so all well within the limit.

Novice

has anyone found a solution to this issue? I am running WP 4.6.1 and have tried all available solutions over the Internet, nothing helps. I created a brand new test site on my GoDaddy hosting and issue exists there also. So I do not think there is any plug-in causing it. It has to be either at the hosting level or at the Word Press level. Need help!

Skilled

Look for the " Default to GD" wordpress plugin. Install and activate it. That should fix this issue.

GoDaddy Pro Artisan

Hello ....

This same issue I'm facing now. Your executive says that you'll need an expert solution and need to pay for this.

Already it's working fine with all other website I have on Godaddy and also those all are on same Hosting Plan. (Starter Linux With CPanel - Purchased separably for each websites.)

Also I've gone through many article's online including form "wordpress.org" and even it's not working.

I'm losing customer due to these so please help me urgently.

Please give it a +1 and also click "Mark As Accepted Solution" if you find it satisfactory. Thanking You With Regards | Harry Parmar
Pro Community Founder Journeyperson

I can confirm that this fix does not fix the HTTP error upload we have. WP 4.6.1 being used on Managed WordPress with php 5.4.45. We were still encountering this problem. Here is the sample JPEG which breaks WP which is only 2MB in size but 3600 px across as a test image.

Here's the smaller one that worked without any edits to the WP configuration.

I tried to increase memory size in user.ini with no luck.  I also tried the .htaccess directive:

SetEnv MAGICK_THREAD_LIMIT 1

That didn't do anything either.

For me, the only thing that actually worked is reducing the size to 1800 px across (halving the resulting image).

I can also confirm using the GD library using this piece of code fixes it and even the larger image is uploaded. I popped this code into functions.php and GD is used now, which is a bit slower at creating thumbnails but it does work.

So there are a lot of combinations of issues on various hosts but for us on GD ManagedWordPress only using GD fixes the issue.

Alex Sirota, PMP - NewPath Consulting - Schedule some time with Alex
"At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
GoDaddy Pro Artisan

Hi .... it's good to here that you've fixed it.

Anyways the process i carried out worked for me on Shared Hosting so I suggest those who are using a Shared Hosting must try this as these is something which saves lot's of time and if these works, then it's well and good.

Please give it a +1 and also click "Mark As Accepted Solution" if you find it satisfactory. Thanking You With Regards | Harry Parmar
Novice

After doing some digging and research I found in my situation the problem was the PHP has a setting called "max_execution_time" and it defaults to 30 seconds. Some of images where taking longer than 30 seconds to upload and process by wordpress.  So I as able to edit the php5.ini file on my GoDaddy hosted site and set the the timeout to 240 seconds and that solved my problems.

@ckeller2791can you describe the physical dimension (in pixels) of the image files that were failing for you? Can you confirm that images greater than 3000px in width can be uploaded and thumbnailed using the 240s max_execution_time?

In many situations your solution still does not seem to fix the problem. 30 seconds to create thumbnails is more than necessary so changing this max_execution_time to a longer value must have a side effect.

Some experience much larger images (not in file size, but in actual pixel dimensions) are causing the HTTP error and only switching to GD seems to fix this. There is a bug outstanding that can be monitored. This bug appears to have been introduced in WP 4.5.

"At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Novice

The dimensions of some photos are 3888x2592 and others are 5948x4236

Yes this is a consistent part of the issue -- very large images in terms of dimension size (rather than actual file size) cause the timeout issue. Thanks for sharing this information.

The consistent fix i have for this is from the thread above

https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/36534#comment:25 means editing functions.php in individual themes.

Novice