cancel
    Showing results for 
    Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    damouk23
    Proficient

Meta Tags

So, I am building this website and I've created all the <head> tags stuff, such as meta tags, stylesheets, etc.  And I would like to know if there's a way where I'm able to check if my meta tags are perfect for the search engines, such as Google.  I think they are correct, but I'd just like to be doubly sure that it's right before I let the search engine bots loose on the poor website!!

Damo

"Man is still the most extraordinary computer of all." - John F. Kennedy

4 REPLIES
    GoDaddy Pro Journeyperson
    Solution

Re: Meta Tags

Meta tags have little value anymore. You can literally rank #1 without even using them because the search engines don't factor them into ranking (with the exception of the Title tag, which isn't usually considered a meta tag).

Focus on building quality inbound links rather than meta tags. The Moz Guide to SEO may shed lots of light.

damouk23
    Proficient

Wow, thank you for that.  I really didn't know that.  I guess that it has been a while since I've done any web dev, so I'm having to relearn everything so I'm so sorry for asking the question.

Thank you again,

Regards,

Damo

No need to apologize; things do continually change with SEO, but thankfully some factors are tried and true such as:

• Doing good keyword research
    • Using keywords in title tags
    • Creating great content

And speaking of meta tags, while a Meta Description won't help much with rankings, it can help with conversions as it will allow you to suggest what copy the search engines display in the search results snippet that can entice people to click on your ad over another.

damouk23
    Proficient

DocTony wrote:

No need to apologize; things do continually change with SEO, but thankfully some factors are tried and true such as:

• Doing good keyword research
    • Using keywords in title tags
    • Creating great content

And speaking of meta tags, while a Meta Description won't help much with rankings, it can help with conversions as it will allow you to suggest what copy the search engines display in the search results snippet that can entice people to click on your ad over another.

I think that I have created a great content, and definitely used keywords in the title tags.  The first one, I haven't as of yet, but I will.  I'm going to look at my competitor and see what I can nick from them!!  Lol.  But, seriously, I am definitely confident now that the website will be appearing on Page 1 of Google and the other engines!

Damo