• Marketing Your Business

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Deejerry
    Novice

What is "invalid Title tag characters?"

I am trying to  use the Optimize SEO and on the checklist under "optimize web page titles", it says the above statement. I don't see any unusual characters. It also says 2 pages have "stop words in the titles". Again, I don't see anything unusual and I don't know what that means. Can anyone offer any insight?

5 REPLIES
    GoDaddy Pro Proficient
    GoDaddy Pro Proficient

Re: What is "invalid Title tag characters?"

Without seeing the actual title tags, I'm not sure about the "invalid title tag characters message," however if you have multiple non-alphanumeric characters in your title, perhaps that's what it referring to.  That's merely a guess though.

As far as the so-called stop words, this site has an extensive list of them.  You should avoid using as many of them as you can in your page titles, because search engines routinely ignore them.

For the invalid title tag characters, if you would feel comfortable sharing the title tag found on one of the pages it's complaining about, maybe we can figure that one out.

Best of luck!

Community Manager
    Community Manager

Hi @Deejerry. Welcome to GoDaddy Community!

I would agree with what @jvanderb said for the most part. My only suggestion would be to make sure you're typing in the titles rather than copying and pasting them. Sometimes invisible formatting characters get included when you copy something. Microsoft Word is infamous for this. If you really don't want to type them, you can paste them into a plain text document first to remove any formatting and then copy/paste them again. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Moderator | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
    Deejerry
    Novice

Thanks for your input. I am going to look it over again, if I still have issues I will share it here.

DiySEOguy
    Experienced

Hello

An invalid title tag usually involves adding a symbol or item not allowed in Google or the search engines.

For an example you can use - , & : | to separate keywords, company name etc.

But if you use exclamation or other symbols, this will cause an issue with invalid title tag characters, especially in PPC

Good luck in your continued online success!

Chris
    Need SEO help? DiySEOguy.com

may i know the error code “tags with invalid characters”. actually i handle this site https://www.indiascoupon.com/ , and i have got 150 + page of title tag error how to i overcome from this error . and if i did not solve this problem then it reflect for our seo or not .