cancel
    Showing results for 
    Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    DataDoc
    Novice

Getting My Business Email Without Using Office 365

Right now, I have a free subscription to Office 365 (via GoDaddy) and that's where my business email (the email associated with my website) lands. However, email is the only 365 application I use and I'm not sure I'm going to keep it when my free subscription ends (October 2016). How can I get my business email if I don't have 365?

ddmd52
    31 REPLIES
    Pro Community Founder Trusted Advisor Pro Community Founder Trusted Advisor
    Pro Community Founder Trusted Advisor

Re: Getting My Business Email Without Using Office 365

Typically you receive free products from GoDaddy as bundled with another service like a free SSL with hosting or something. Have a look at the asterisk part of the free, it may be that as long as you keep that service the product continues to be free. It could also be that it was free for the first year?

There are several ways to do business email but I love Office 365, that would be my first suggestion (keep in mind I'm a Windows guy). I suppose that it depends what your need is, how many addresses, how many emails... At this point though I would not suggest any email but Office 365 as it is such a more robust offering for around the same price/same price as business email. Out of curiosity why are you thinking of getting rid of the Office 365 @DataDoc?

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

diana310
    Novice

I definitely don't want to use the Office 365 email, and would appreciate guidance on how to add email accounts to a newly purchased domain without being forced into the Office 365 version.

DataDoc
    Novice

Thanks so much. I'm a Windows person, too. I'll be honest, the main reason I was considering dropping 365 is money. However, the more I hear and consider, the more I'm coming to the conclusion that it's well worth the subscription price.

ddmd52
    Pro Community Founder Trusted Advisor Pro Community Founder Trusted Advisor
    Pro Community Founder Trusted Advisor

Yeah, the other GoDaddy plans are hovering around the same price as Office 360. Plus email is something critical to your business, is not something you want to skimp on? 

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

dpinc221
    Novice

I would like to second, and ask Go Daddy to revisit the prior post (as well as mine).

I have several Go Daddy domains. Back when I purchased some of them, there was a free email bundled, i.e., info@"domain".

The most recent domain purchased had no such offer bundled. Office 365 is being pushed as the email solution, but as the number of emails I would send/receive from the new domain/web site is likely small, the perpetual monthly charge seems unnecessarily disproportionate.

Since I primarily use AOL (and occasionally Yahoo) free email service, I would appreciate being informed as to how to utilize AOL or Yahoo as the agent(s) for email that would be associated with my new domain. So:

1. Can this technically be done, so that email queries sent TO or FROM the website that uses the new domain URL can be directed TO an AOL/Yahoo account or generated FROM the domain website, routed through AOL/Yahoo? and,

2). If it IS technically possible, could you kindly instruct HOW to do so in a way that a lay- person can follow?

I would ask that the response NOT be a push for Office 365, but rather directed at whether it is possible, and if so, how.

Respectfully,
    DP/NYC

I support this mail as I find myself in a similar situation. I feel the push to make every one accept 365 is a little too aggressive. Free market demands choices. Kindly answer this query as many more may be in asimilar quandary. Thanks

dpinc221
    Novice

Thank you, Larry. I am sure that MANY customers who have, or might, purchase GoDaddy domains are facing this precise issue. It seems unnecessarily barren to buy a domain name that is bereft of an accompanying email address -- at least ONE, like { info@"domain" } -- as part of the purchase price. In fact, I don't even really understand WHY GoDaddy is CHARGING for the Office 365 email, since it seems to predominantly be a redirect to the Microsoft servers that host the email.

Be that as it may, I am POSITIVE that I am far from alone in being confronted with this concern; and had I known clearly that there would BE no email associated with the domain purchase, as it had been in the past, I would likely NOT have made another domain name purchase with GoDaddy, and instead sought out a vendor which WOULD have provided at least one basic email account with the purchase of a domain. The info on that missing service is somewhat obscured by GoDaddy, and was only clear to me AFTER I'd bought/paid for the domain; I am now contemplating whether I should cancel my purchase and have the purchase price refunded to enable me to seek out a service that provides this basic add-on as a part of the domain purchase; and the responses by the GoDaddy team on this precise question, and others that are similar, have the distinct feel of a hard-sell push for Office 365, with a concommitant conscious choice to dance around or NOT answer questions about reasonable alternatives (which is troubling to me in its implications).

I would really like for someone on the GoDaddy team to respond to my query, and the thread, directly, cognizant of the exact question being asked -- and either bring the concern to the management in an effort to restore a basic email service as part of all recent purchasing of domains; or at the least, offering some alternative and practical solutions that address the concern point-blank, in a problem-solving manner.

The practice of obfuscating the issue in recent responses to similar threads I've perused in an effort to understand how to get around Office 365 if I don't feel it is a solution of which I am desirous is a BIG red flag to me; and if I am having difficulty trusting the content and method of how information about GoDaddy's services is being disseminated by management or reps, then as a paying customer, it may be more advantageous -- albeit unfortunate -- to seek a solution that fits MY needs elsewhere, from another vendor.

Respectfully,
    DP/NYC

Solution

Hey @dpinc221

Thanks for taking time to become part of the community and share your thoughts with us here today. Looking forward to future discussions we'll have together.

Regarding free email with domains, we actually discontinued these credits quite some time ago. However, we still offer free email options outside of Office 365 in some of our hosting services. For instance, our Linux based cPanel hosting plans have the option to allow you to setup email within the cPanel interface which can be used to send and receive messages. 

We also offer free email forwarding as part of your domain registration which allows you to create up to 100 alias addresses that forward mail to another email account you regularly access. However, do note that as these are not actual boxes that store messages, you won't be able to send mail from them. If you're interested in learning more about the free forwarding credits that should be available as part of your domain, check out Set up a forwarding email account

I can't promise to get the free account feature brought back, but I'll gladly pass your feedback along to the folks who can consider such options in the future. In the meantime, you are welcome to try our other mail service options or direct your domain DNS records to another mail service that you would prefer. We simply offer Office 365 services as a convenient option, but understand it's not for everyone.

Perhaps some of our members who are using other mailing solutions outside of Office 365 can provide some recommendations for you? 

CG - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
    24/7 support available at x.co/247support
    azdarts
    Novice

Hi there,

So am I to understand, that with the domains that I own, I can not set up email accounts for them without being pigeon holed into 365?? Is this correct?

Thanks

Scott

dpinc221
    Novice

Well, according to the GoDaddy rep who replied to my query above, it seems there ARE some alternative solutions.  Having GoDaddy host and setting up email through THAT, doesn't seem like a good solution; likewise, I don't want to have to use 365.  Both require additional, perpetual fees.  The other alternative mentioned was the email forwarding, allowing receipt of email to a number of "aliases" you can set up on your domain, which forward the email to an email address you CURRENTLY use.  Drawback there is that you cannot SEND email from your domain with this method.  

But that might actually be enough of a solution for me.  

My issue originally was that 365 was ABSOLUTELY being pushed as the solution in the prior queries and replies; but it seems that with some push-back, GoDaddy decided to loosen its flow of information and share the other solutions with equanimity.  Plus, they did mention that, per the thread of emails which were less than enthusiastic about being backed into 365, management would revisit consideration of a FREE email that could be bundled again with the purchase of domains.

I am actually quite happy with the response, despite having to press to get one that offered alternatives.  And I thank those who responded to the thread with like concerns about having to deal with 365 as the only solution which was being discussed.  I appreciate GoDaddy's response; and I will try the email forwarding mechanism to see if it solves my concern, and will report back on this thread as to if, and how well, it works.

Thank you,

Dion

dpinc221
    Novice

Thank you, CG.

See my post, below your response.

Dion

Hey @dpinc221

Sorry for the delay getting back to you. Glad to hear the clarification i provided earlier helped out. Apologies again for the earlier experiences you had with our support.

We always welcome additional feedback to help us improve our services, so feel free to share anything else you'd like to add here. 

amsaracena
    Novice

I wish I had read this thread before I purchased an Office 365 email account for a client. It wasn't clear at all that this was an email linked to Office 365 - we currently live and work in Laos where it's not possible to use Office 365. A forwarding address isn't really enough - my client needs an actual box. 

It's difficult enough working with GoDaddy since the 24/7 chat support no longer exists and there is no option to put in a support ticket. This is why I created a Pro account which unfortunately now seems to have exactly the same features as a regular GoDaddy account. 

We are using a managed WordPress account and if Office 365 is the only option for an actual email account (not forwarding) then it's probably time to look for another host. 

Hey @amsaracena

First, let me just clarify that our Live chat teams have never been 24/7. Live chat is on Mon-Fri at 5AM - 6PM Arizona time (UTC-7). When available a session can be started through the chat buttons on the top or bottom of this page.

Our phone teams on the other hand are 24/7 and will be more than happy to discuss with you your best mail options available. They should also be able to help you cancel and request a credit for the Office 365 plan since you can't use it in your area.

Nuseerz
    Novice

aveRe: Getting My Business Email Without Using Office 365

I have the domain name I want purchased through godaddy. For now I just need e-mail, until the website is designed. I absolutely, positively, will not use the Office service, and absolutely have to send and receive from the e-mail service.

No Office 360 , must send and receive. Godaddy domain .  What will work?

Solution

Re: aveRe: Getting My Business Email Without Using Office 365

Hey @Nuseerz

Welcome to the Community! Smiley Happy

The domain by itself only has an email forwarding account credit available which redirects messages sent to the address to another existing email account. This won't allow sending and receiving from the address as there's no actual mailbox. 

Did you have a hosting plan or other site service purchased with your domain? Some of these include other mailing options such as Workspace or cPanel email accounts you can setup.

Hi 

I have the same problem. I naively thought that in minimum one email address still comes with the purchase of a domain. That this isn't the case is really disturbing. I will avoid GoDaddy in the future as this is clearly not user friendly at all.

Thanks

Mathias

After having mistakenly bought the domain at GoDaddy, the domain can be transferred to services that provide a free email address to the domain. Because I need just an email to the domain, that's what I have to do now. Next time I know better and will save also this effort.

Thanks and best regards

Mathias

I also will be cancelling my purchase as I don't need the additional expense of the outlook fro MS. I'll be purchasing the old outlook for my computer and then getting the domain elsewhere. Sorry GoDaddy. We'll keep the original version for the original company but going forward you lose.

Has anyone found any good alternative options? I have no idea what to do when my free basic workspace domain email boxes expires with my next domain renewal with GoDaddy.com. I'm thinking about trying Zoho Mail (https://www.zoho.com/mail/) as they seem to offer a free domain based email box for up to 10 emails.

Scammed
    Skilled

I don't want Office 365 email - had it at one time and it was terrible. Just went into my renewal section and see Office 365 email was given to me free with my website builder. Not happy about that being in there. I tried to check automatic renewal for my website builder package and it won't let me check just the one makes me check Office 365 email to get automatic renewal on. So I had to leave it unchecked until I can call support. I did not order it and I do not want it and I will not use it so I am not going to pay $56.00 for it when my renewal comes up. This is a scam on GoDaddy's part. This need to be fixed and I will be calling support. I was with Office 365 before I came to GoDaddy and that is why I came here so I could get away from Office 365. You need to make the renewals separate so you can check what you want. NOT have them all light up when you check just one item.

Scammed
    Skilled

I called support and got a very nice gentleman and he was very helpful and fixed the problem. Thank-you Sidney.

KRSAN
    Novice

How did he solve it?? I'm on the same boat. Should have know earlier, would have chosen a different hosting company.

CallYouOUT
    Novice

Re: Getting My Business Email Without Using Office 365-GODaddy RipOff

I want to know why my office 365 essentials plan from GODaddy is $4.99/month for 5G of space, and i am redirected to Microsoft. When i could go direct to Microsoft and get the 365 email 50G of space for $4.00/month!!! https://products.office.com/en-us/exchange/compare-microsoft-exchange-online-plans 

20% more $ and 90% less space!!! Way to rip us off GODaddy!

#GoDaddyRipOff #365GoDaddyEmailScam

dave14
    Novice

For me office 365 doesn't have enough functionality in terms of filing emails. I want to go to the desktop outlook program

cpm73
    Apprentice

agreed, very deceptive.  What appears to be a 'hey look you can even try this email 365 out" turns into "if you don't then you cant have email hahahahaa suckers"

Meh,  I'll deal, lessons learned. 

Terrible Performance

It seems like several times a week, at least when I check, that the site that I paid for is performing terribly. It takes 40 seconds to load the about page, just moving tabs on the site.

There aren't any special javascript effects, or animations, or even content. This is a basic text only site. This is completely unacceptable.

Everytime I call in about this, the support staff denies there being an issue. Or is unwilling to fix the issue. I get the impression that Godaddy's main concern is "solving the problem on the first call" aka dismiss your issue. That is why godaddy doesn't provide an email for continued communication on a problem.

Completely useless service. I am totally going to Azure as soon as my contract here is up. Complete waste of money, complete joke.

I bet they host 1000 other sites with your site on a single core vm with throttled internet. And they wonder why you can even load a **bleep**ing page. Horrendously ridiculous. Burn in hell.

kwestprint
    Novice

I have a small business and I have my own domain name for my website and hence all my emails are under my domain name.  

What I use for email is the Go Daddy web-email.  I also have my email coming in via outlook also.  I find that some times one or the other can "see" or "read" and email due to the platforms they are on, but I use the web-email 99.5% of the time and have used it for over 13 years.  It allows me to access my email anywhere via the web.  I can also get it via my Android phone, but that program is not the same as using the web, so if I send and email via my phone, it is not to be found on my web-email later, but can be found on my phone.  I chose to use it because I was unable to access my email, unless I was on outlook at the time.  I have no regrets about staying with it.

MissyS
    Novice

I was very interested in this message string since I, too, bought a domain and was guided by the Sales Rep to buy the 365 Exchange mail for it.  I tried the 365 Exchange mail for a few weeks, but was not pleased by some of the exchange specific features of 365.  I buy 365 for my small biz, but it is not the Exchange version.  Paying for two versions of 365 mail and being forced to use a version I didn't like left a bad taste.  So, before the 30 day mark, I exercised my guarantee and notified that I would be shutting down the email and looking for a different domain hosting service.  At that point GoDaddy came forward with a suggestion that I use Workspace Email.  I bought a bundle of 5 webmail accounts with calendar options and unlimited storage for a bit less than I was paying for two 365 Exchange accounts.  I connected them to sync with my individual Outlook account and... Voila!  I have exactly what I want.  I now have email accounts for internal and external communications for two people, plus one that will become a Help mailbox for customer service.  They sync with our computers, or we can access them via the internet if so needed. This is perfect for a small business (or, in today's lingo, a tiny business).  

Long message - but the bottom line is that GoDaddy does have the right product.  Clearly they are trying to brand their business on the Office 365 configuration. However, if they pay attention to the unhappy customer stories posted here, they may see that there is a space for the simplified email service that Workspace Email provides.  If a small percentage of these clients expand to require Webhosting, on-line marketing, and then move to the 365 Exchange client when they bring on a few employees... It will reveal that giving them a simple product for a while is a really good idea.  They need to embrace the "tiny business" model that helped them get where they are today.  Just my opinion....

MissyS

RHTRIO
    Novice

Received telemarketing call from Godaddy sales telling me that they will be phasing out the Workspace email program and that I need to switch over to Office 365. The Rep said that I could either have Godaddy migrate the archive email over at $100. per email box, or do it myself by backing up the email boxes as .PST files and importing them in. I opted to do it myself, Rep stated that I would be saving money by switching over to office 365. I spent two days and countless hours on the phone with customer support trying to migrate my email boxes over, never worked! After experiencing many rude customer support reps, I was told that I lost all my email archives and since I didn’t pay GoDaddy $400. to do the migration that it was my own fault! Long story short, I finally was able to switch back to Workspace and found out that my email archives were still intact. If GoDaddy is phasing out Workspace within the company why are they charging customers to migrate? I was totally scammed!

Little bit of a late reply on an old thread... but for those who are still looking for answers to this...

If you do use Office365 email that is bundled with your GoDaddy domain, you can only use the Outlook app on Android phones. if you don't want to use the Outlook app, you can attempt to add the email account in another mail app but it will ask you to give the app permission to DELETE YOUR ENTIRE PHONE!

The Outlook app sucks, Microsoft sucks, and I'm certainly NEVER giving any app the permission to factory reset my phone, delete and change my lock screen PIN, and all sorts of other stuff that no sane person should do.

I would say to call GoDaddy Support and see if you can create a Workspace email account. It is non-Microsoft and should work with any mail client, desktop or mobile. They will certainly try to dissuade you from doing this since GoDaddy is apparently deep in bed with Microsoft. I may just move my entire domain simply because of this spurious association with M$.