• Office 365 From GoDaddy

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

What's the difference between Workspace and Office 365 email?

I'm trying to figure out which one works best for me. What do you use and why? What's the differences between the two products.

19 REPLIES 19
    Pro Community Founder Pro Community Founder
    Pro Community Founder

Re: What's the difference between Workspace and Office 365 email?

I was using workspace email and it stopped working with my Apple Mail client. I switched over to the GoDaddy Office 365 email plan and I love it. It was very easy to setup and get going and i was able to export all of my existing email and import them into my new account.

Freelance Web Designer
    Pro Community Founder Artisan Pro Community Founder Artisan
    Pro Community Founder Artisan

I've use office 365 but not fully integrated into my GoDaddy services.  Will have to give it a try!

Not Just Pretty Sites, Pretty Doggone Smart Sites
    Solution

Workspace is free and you get what you pay for -- and technology that GoDaddy claims is "outdated" (which I don't get -- email is email is email) and not really supported. Got that from the horse's mouth. 

You can have a POP account (Point of Presence -- meaning you go to the e-mail box (via Webmail) or download it to your device of choice.  Workspace also offers forwards.  Forwards are addresses that forward to another account.

365 is a professional e-mail platform.  https://www.godaddy.com/help/search?q=office+365&topic=&pg=1 (https://www.godaddy.com/help/search?q=imap+vs+pop&topic=&pg=1), Has many more organizational tools and system features than just an e-mail box or forward like Workspace.

I've used Workspace for over a decade without issue.  All I needed was an e-mail box and forwarding, nothing fancy. Then it just stopped working with e-mails being queued/delayed for days at a time. Several of my clients on GoDaddy have experienced the same. Today one of the forwards I've had forever just delivered e-mail from a week ago.  Most forwards are now experiencing between 3-5 days delays in receipt.

After several hours on the phone with GoDaddy support and no one being able to figure out (or admit) what the issue is/was, I just gave up and paid for 365 even though I don't need all the features. 

Bottom line is if you need reliable e-mail, 365 is the way to go!

HTH! ;-)

Judith
    "I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Hi Muse!

Very interesting!  I was beginning to wonder if I was in some sort of email time warp because of dates receiving/sending!  I've been planning to checkout the GoDaddy version of Office 365 and see if it is any different from my current Microsoft subscription.  Do you happen to know of any differences?

Thanks for this post!

James

Hey, James:

I don't believe there is a difference.  You are just purchasing "through" GoDaddy as the interface which directs you over to the Microsoft Office 365 servers where all the functionality is. 

Since I don't know what you have subscribed to over there I can say for sure if there is a difference.  Microsoft also has free e-mail @live.com and @hotmail.com - which are their versions of GD's Workspace -- free.

HTH!  ;-)

Judith
    "I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Thanks for the info!  No need to change anything then!!

James

grandmah77
    Novice

I know this is a little bit of an old post, but I had the same question.  By the way, why is someone from GoDaddy asking the original question and more importantly, why hasn't GoDaddy actually provided a clear answer?

Anyway, I think I have figured out that Workspace email and Office 365 email have fundamentally different mail servers.  Office 365 email is (more or less) based on the Microsoft Exchange email server.  I don't even know if you can configure IMAP or POP protocol on it.  As far as I can tell, Workspace email is not based on the MS Exchange platform.  I assume it is a Linux email server (and from the other post comments, I assume that GoDaddy is trying to drive people away from Workspace email...).  And as far as I can tell, Workspace email can ONLY support IMAP and POP and it cannot be setup to use the MS Exchange protocol if that is what you want.  So it really depends on what kind of email you prefer.  I have always used IMAP through GMail and Yahoo mail, but my switch to 365/Exchange-based email with Outlook desktop and mobile apps has worked pretty well.

As far as the Office 365 product offered by GoDaddy, I am not sure if GoDaddy hosts the actual email server or just re-sells the product that you can purchase directly from Microsoft (ditto for the OneDrive storage space).  The obvious difference is that you can configure your own email domain name through GoDaddy, whereas with MS you would have to bring your own "@outlook.com" or other free email address.  And it seems that GoDaddy has an exclusive version of the MS product line that has only email support (Outlook online) - when you log into your MS Office 365 account settings / control panel, all of the settings for other Office 365 products have been disabled.

Anyway, hope that helps.

Hey @grandmah77,

Glad to have you join us! Smiley Happy

First, my apologies for any confusion on this discussion. I believe it was originally started as a test post before we finally launched the Community to the public here, that's why it was started by RachelM.

Seems like you have a solid understanding of the differences between the two services already, so we appreciate you taking the time to explain it from your viewpoint. The only thing I'd like to clarify is we still offer Workspace Email as a free service on some of our shared hosting plans. It wasn't or intent to drive away people from Workspace, but we have discontinued selling stand-alone Workspace plans for some time as Office 365 is a much improved service. However, we understand this isn't for everyone, which is why Workspace is still included as an option on our Hosting. 

Look forward to any more feedback you'd like to offer on this. 

CG - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
    24/7 support available at x.co/247support
    RonnieB
    Novice

With GoDaddy's Office 365 plan, you must pay in advance for your term selected. Direct through Office 365 you can pay in advance or pay $5.00 monthly with a one year commitment or $6.00 monthly with no commitment

RichGraz
    Novice

I pay for my workspace email from godaddy for (I.E. email@mydomain.com) how are you getting this free

I want to know where the real free plan is, too. I read somewhere that it was unlimited for $7.50.  But I can't seem to find that option. The free one I received is only 100MG and that's nothing.  I am reading so many different prices. It's a bit confusing.  However, it seems more cost effective to go with Office 365 since Workspace charges for "Calendar" which I didn't realized until last night after setting up some free email accounts on Workspace.  Is Office 365 the way to go?

Hi,

I have read over these emails and still a little confused. I'm very inexperienced here. I have my own free Hotmail and Gmail accounts but I would like to set up some email accounts that specifically reference my domain. Can someone please let me know what the best option for me is? I have currently set up the free forwarding option but if that is not very reliable and will take ages for the emails to hit my other accounts, what's the point?

Regards

Angie

Mukeshsoni
    Novice

I have use office 365 mail with I want workspace webmail what's the differences between workspace and office 365 email how can switch office 365 to workspaces?

Seek
    Novice

How can i create work space Webmail 

RobWR
    Novice

I just signed up for "email" with a new domain I purchased. I did not realize I was getting Office365. The plus is that Office365 seems much more reliable and more secure. The minus is that I absolutely hate the UI and the limited choices I have for displaying.

To the point made earlier, I would really like to try the webmail with IMAP but when I try to log in with my email address and password I get an error.

Can someone at GoDaddy jump in on this?

satpal2670
    Novice

Kahud48
    Novice

I would like to know how to totally find a way to uninstall everything there is in my PC that is Workspace but can't find it in my control panel, but I am finding it everywhere in notepad on my system

Can someone help me?

s-b
    Apprentice

Thanks. What is a way to migrate to another service along with the domain and email. Godaddy is an exclusive reseller. It will be better to go to someone who promotes choice and offers seamless transition to and fro, more transparently. 

JayBarry
    Novice

Doesn't POP stand for "Post Office Protocol"?   Where does this Point of Presence phrase come from?