Skip to main content
Help Center
The GoDaddy Community will undergo maintenance starting on Tuesday, August 3rd at 3pm PST / 6pm EST. Learn more
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ibuild
Getting Started

Contractor- Construction and Paint

Hi community! I am a small business owner of a construction and paint company. I plan to post some helpful tips for small business owners. I'm also looking for helpful tips. Take care and be safe everyone.
7 REPLIES 7
rd
Super User I Super User I
Super User I

Hello @ibuild and welcome! A construction contractor with @ibuild as a name? Good choosing!

I don't have a problem saying painting is not my strong suit. I tend to not be patient enough to tape and I do not have that smooth cut in brush thing that the pros all seem to possess. Plus those easy cut in tools and painting supplies you see on infomercials never work for me "As Seen on TV". 

You are in the right place to both give and receive great tips! Again welcome and I look forward to your contribution.

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

ibuild
Getting Started

Hi @rd @superuser! I feel welcome, thank you!

Hopefully you feel better knowing that those as you seen on TV gadgets don't work well for the pros either. Though, I must say I have been fortunate enough to find one gadget that works well for cutting the base trim edges. Really there is no shortcut to painting only diligence and the right paintbrush.

Maybe I'll post tips on getting perfect edges.

rd
Super User I

What? You mean "As Seen on TV" is lying to us all @ibuild? That is actually reassuring.

When it comes to painting (as with other things) the right tools do make things easier. I don't have occasion to paint often so I'm usually using the cheap single use things and I know that hinders me. Basically I'm the tool that fails me! That is why I tend to leave it to the pros like you.

I build websites as a business and when people tell me their expectations then say "I'm doing it myself" I probably have the same smirk as you do? The reality is that is why professionals exist! I don't try to bake my own wedding cake and I have learned about doing my own painting. I to really well with the Home Depot Workshops but other than that? I'll pass and that is usually the best thing.

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

ibuild
Getting Started

Yes, @rd well to their credit I think those infomercial non stick pans work really well but that's not my field. You're right about pros we exist because we do well in our element.
If you check out my website KingsMenPros.com you could probably tell that I built it. I mean, I'm an excellent builder just not of websites.
We all come to a crossroad when we ask ourselves to turn to a pro or not to turn to a pro that is the question.
As a pro I understand why DIYs exist. You either pay what it cost or you do it yourself. There's a number of times the do-it-yourselfers called me to come fix what they could not and further broke. My website isn't broken per se but I'm not sure that it would pass your professional expertise inspection either. If you check it out I'd like to know your honest opinion.
rd
Super User I

Your website skills are better than my painting skills @ibuild. No worries there. I'm going to start using you as an example when I say "Using GoDaddy Website Builder + Marketing is just answering questions. You can do it!" I think that people worry a bit too much about giving it a try... and it's free to try.

Here's the deal I've managed to slap some paint on some stuff. I know that it's not a professional result but it worked for that birdhouse (that is too see the birds don't seem to mind). When I grow into doing more than a birdhouse, a rocking chair or the occasional toy box for the nephews and that's when I call the pros. Generally if I need a ladder I also need a professional when it comes to anything home. I say that to say your 'birdhouse' is REALLY example worthy, kudos to you.

There might come a time when you need a 'ladder' but your off to a great start. I'd say that you are a classic example of who and what Website Builder was conceived for.

ibuild
Getting Started

I held my head up and stuck my chest out, thank you @rd. The GoDaddy website builder template was easy to follow. I think there's a couple of webpage features that would help make it even better. When visiting a business website I'm more likely to go with that company if their site answers all of my questions, looks professional and is user friendly. Hence why I selected GoDaddy as my platform. Though, there are two features I would like to see improved and that is the 'Request Appointment' page and 'Photo Gallery' page. Maybe through time and feedback is items will improve. Other than that call GoDaddy is doing a great job!
rd
Super User I

I don't know what pictures you are planning to have in your gallery but I'll offer you this. Try to use generic pictures over specific ones. I'd suggest only changing pictures maybe once per quarter. In the summer I would add outside projects and winter I'd replace them with something more seasonal. Don't create extra work for yourself by trying to constantly update website images (use social media for that). I'm sure you have a ton of project before and after pictures but try to limit that if can.

With regard to the appointment, there is indeed a lot to discover with that. I think you should your a look at the booking module and rather than "Request Appointment" I would go with "Request Consultation". You could set your availability and do them via video, conferencing or phone (they can set their preference when they request). I find that it is always best to prospect clients before you go into a full meet. Keep it easy on yourself and make your availability when most convenient with you.

Check out How to Use GoDaddy Website Builder Online Appointments to get your feet wet and if you have questions there are tons here already answered so browse a bit. If you don't see what you're looking for then please create a new post and ask away!