cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Need Help Optimizing For Shared Plesk Environment

Just over a month ago I purchased a 2-year Windows DeLuxe hosting service for my websites. I have been hosting my sites on a homeserver over my private Internet link for a number of years and had decided that this was no longer appropriate.

A few days after I migrated the first sites to GoDaddy, I experienced a first downtime of a couple of hours and again a few days later the Plesk environment got stuck so that I could not reach the management environment any more. I called the (very cooperative) helpdesk and they got it working again after a restore of the Plesk/IIS .

I blamed the crash to myself, since I had actually been doing quite some testing and correcting during the migration so from that moment on I have been using a local test environment for debugging before I uploaded new content to GoDaddy.

Later, I called the helpdesk again and explicitly asked questions about the ability of the hosting environment to service my websites adequately, because I had some doubts if it had enough capacity to handle the load and number of files involved. The employee assured me that my websites would not pose any problems as the limits that are usually applied were far higher than what my websites demanded.

A few days ago, I migrated my last and most demanding website: HONGS.NL. Almost immediately, serious problems arose, not only for the HONGS site but also for the other sites. The sites regularly went down and I constantly had to recycle the worker process manually to get them up again. The logfiles show that this happens typically after a series of hack-attempts from the Internet that my websites are able to handle and tackle OK but clearly the IIS hosting server itself not because the logs indicated many script time-outs, ‘resource exceeded’ and ‘not enough storage’. I never had these problems on my homeserver, although hack-attempts have always been seen there too. I do use a blacklist database for IP addresses that I check with every pageload but hackers that switch IP often will not be caught by that.

After 3 days of constant problems I have decided to migrate all sites back to my homeserver again and de-activate all sites on the GoDaddy hosting.

I am now planning on cancelling my hosting account since the environment is clearly too light-weight for my sites. I have paid 140 Euro for the 2-year service and am afraid that this will be wasted money. After all the conditions claim that no refund is possible.

Still, I would like to ask the people at GoDaddy to consider if part of this fee could be refunded. I would certainly appreciate this, since the hosting environent is of no use to me, contrary to the expectations of the helpdesk.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The sales support dept from GoDaddy suggested a very good solution for my refund request. They were so kind to trade in the full 2-year hosting fee for a renewal of my .com domains. Thanks!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Community Manager

Hi @mortimer

First, thanks for taking time to post in the Community! We really appreciate your participation!

I'm sorry to hear you've had a difficult time with your Plesk account. Moving from a dedicated server environment (your home server) to a shared one can be a pretty big change. The complexity of either system could definitely be playing a part in what's happening. 

I can't really assist with your refund issue here. I would recommend speaking with support to see if the situation can be reviewed further. However, you can review our refund policy here if you wish.

Perhaps there are others in the community that have made a similar switch and have some insight. I've updated your post title to help attract attention. Thanks!

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

The sales support dept from GoDaddy suggested a very good solution for my refund request. They were so kind to trade in the full 2-year hosting fee for a renewal of my .com domains. Thanks!

View solution in original post