cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

PHP 7 for Plesk

I do understand the cPanel shared hosting is already upgraded to PHP version 7. When will it get upgraded on Plesk shared hosting.

You have provided Wordpress version 4.8.1 but have you atleast checked that the requirements for this version

To run WordPress we recommend your host supports:

• PHP version 7 or greater
  • MySQL version 5.6 or greater OR MariaDB version 10.0 or greater
  • HTTPS support

I do understand that wordpress sites will work with PHP version 5.* but it does face many Internal Server Issues when you update the Plugins. Please atleast give us the plan on when will you update PHP to the latest version. Its been more than 1.8 years since PHP 7 is released but still GoDaddy couldnt update to the latest PHP till date.

20 REPLIES 20
Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

Re: PHP 7 for Plesk

Hi @vishalpinto. Welcome to GoDaddy Community! I'm not sure when Plesk will get the upgrade to PHP 7, but I'm sure it's something that is being looked at currently. However, generally speaking, Linux servers provide more robust support for PHP. If you do not need to use the functions of a Windows server (like developing or running ASP.NET), then I highly suggest considering a move to a Linux platform, like cPanel. Wish I could be more help. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
New

Hi,     
        How can i switch my existing Plesk windows hosting to Cpanel Linux hosting? Is there any additional charges are required?

Thank you.

Same question for me, how to switch from plesk windows hosting to Cpanel Linux hosting ?

Is there any plan to update PHP  to 7.2.X on Plesk hosting?

I am not concerned about move over to CPanel (just came from there). I use C# and PHP for reasons.

Is there a plan and may you please share information?

You push wordpress etc. on the Plesk hosting so I would assume you would be willing to honor the vendor's requirements for PHP and Mysql version for your shared hosting.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @dzsoundnirvana. The ability to use PHP 7 on Plesk is planned and in the works. However, I don't have a specific timeframe I can give as to when that will happen. Sorry Man Sad 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

Some word is better than no word! I appreciate the reply and information.

New

Is there any timeframe for an update to PHP7.x for Plesk servers?

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @baboss. PHP 7 will be available on Plesk accounts soon. We have begun upgrading all customers to Plesk Onyx, though that process will likely take several months. You should get an email from us when the upgrade for your account(s) is scheduled to occur. 

Hi

Please upgrade me asap 🙂

thanks

Asrin

Hi, I am using Plesk shared hosting.

Please prioritize into upgrade ... I have unfortunately taken a long term plan with Godaddy...

It kills to use WordPress at this speed..!!

Please let me know what account info you will need !!

Thanks in advance.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @techiejugal14. Thanks for reaching out. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to expedite your account's upgrade. Admittedly, the process of upgrading all servers is taking quite a while. This is due in part to our focus on reducing downtime for the servers that are being upgraded. This isn't something we can push out to all servers at the same time. Each server has to be upgraded individually, which will obviously take some time. I still don't have a timeframe as to how long updating all servers in our environment will take, but I can assure you that it is in the works. 

I'm not sure if it's something you can consider, but if you're only using the Plesk account for WordPress, you may want to look at moving over to a Linux cPanel plan instead. Our customer care team should be able to provide you with an In-Store Credit for the Plesk plan so you can move to a cPanel plan if that's something you're interested in doing. 

Hii @JesseW ,

Thanks for your reply.

cPanel is not into my consideration as I have Windows Server requirements..!!

I understand the process is time-consuming..!

How about shifting my data to that Shared server which is already been upgraded.

I will also map my domains to that new IP address as all my domains are with GoDaddy...downtime doesn't seem that long.. !! At least in the case of domain mapping !!

Awaiting your positive reply.

Thanks once again!!

Then we all would want the same thing concerning moving our data to an upgraded box.

The big issue I have with GD and their leadership is failure to plan. It isn't hard to look at https://secure.php.net/supported-versions.php and come up with a plan to keep your customers safe.

But it seems in typical GD fashion this is an opportunity for them to advert. VPS all the while stomping about SSL yet failing to realize the underlying infrastructure is vulnerable. As a GD customer for over 14 years, it has become very concerning. 

There seems to be something amiss with the company or those that make the decisions based on cost and risk. Simple things like expired FTP certs. on their servers fail to get resolved in a timely manner (gen on 5/13/2014, expired on 5/13/2015 and regen on 3/12/2019).

The only solution I see for those that have invested to a point you can't move on is to wait. GD has done the right thing from a business perspective. They've lowered the barrier to entry.

If you aren't new to GD Win hosting then you should remember that they fired off a message about upgrading plesk to Onyx around 11/6/2018. This kinda raises a question about what version of PHP do they intend to upgrade it on (5.6, 7.1, 7.2, 7.3)? I hope they upgrade the PHP ver. on the Win hosting to 7.3 given the EOL for 7.2 but when they mentioned the upgrade for Win hosting, 7.3 was not out. So, seems like we will end up with 7.2 and an EOL of Nov/Dec 2020.

hi @dzsoundnirvana 

no worry on EOL of php 7.2  etc

I just got upgraded to Plesk Onyx.

Guess what is php version?!

Its php 5.6

Being a Godaddy Customer we are bound to stay outdated

Also, our new Plesk itself highlights on our main page besides php version..it says "(Outdated)" that too in RED.

This will be shameful if we open Plesk in front of clients!! OUTDATED in RED.

Also, Godaddy has removed "Tools & Extensions" section..so we cannot automize backup with Google Drive extensions in plesk.

Also, let's encrypt SSL certificate option is not there.

& it's obvious, How will GoDaddy earn by selling their backup plans & how will they sell their SSL certificate.

yet speed of Wordpress, even after this update, still """""""'KILLS""""" 

Unfortunately, I still have approx 11 months to stay outdated I mean to stay with GoDaddy, as I had taken long term plan!!

@JesseW  Let me know if I am wrong somewhere!! 

Solution

My instance got updated and there is 7.3 on there. So, see if you see the same by doing this:

1. log in and get to the plesk

2. Click "Websites & Domains" in the left nav

3. Look for "Hosting settings", it is a small link right under the domain or sub-domain names name

4. Scroll down to "Web scripting and statistics" and you should see a dropdown....

Attached is a football play for you to smile at. Hope it helps some.

Now, for the sub-domains that I set to 7.3 the red outdated does not show so, this means you will have to go and flick the switch on the sub-domains you need to.

Hope it helps a little.

GDPHP73_29MAR19.PNG

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello everyone. I just wanted to explain a few things. Currently, all customers that have been upgraded to Plesk Onyx should now have access to PHP 7.3. When we started doing the upgrades back in November, we elected to skip PHP 7.0 and 7.1 per the information here, and instead planned on PHP 7.2 (as 7.3 was not in a stable release just yet)  However, a few months ago, an issue with PHP 7.2 was discovered in the Plesk environment (see here). The suggestion there was to roll back to 7.1. Unfortunately, that wasn't an option for us. We've been actively working on the issue and were able to update to PHP 7.3 just today.

The process of upgrading all Plesk accounts to Onyx is still in the works. 

Thank you for the update.

One thing you might want to check up on are the password protected dirs. I found all of mine unprotected and exposed to the world (not good). I tried to support chat about it but that was fruitless and .... I'll leave it there.

Community Manager
Community Manager

@dzsoundnirvana. Thanks for the additional feedback, we are looking into it!

Hi 

we bought deluxe hosting for windows for two websites and we can not install a plugin or any plugin at all. it gives internal server error. And it seems after made research that we need to upgrade php7. 
So since we bought them less that 2 to 3 weeks why we did not get latest php7?

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @EnergyPetro. When a new hosting account is purchased and set up, our system chooses a server to create the account on dynamically. However, there is no guarantee that your account will be set up on one of the servers that have already been upgraded. Until all servers have been updated to Plesk Onyx, situations like yours may arise. Sorry Man Sad