cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Visual Studio - Publish a **bleep** Project on Godaddy, possible?

Hi, I think this is a Joke. 
I'm about to give up on GoDaddy because of this. 

I used Visual Studio, made a Website, and now want to Publish it on GoDaddy. And faces So Much Difficulty. First of all, I have no clue how to Publish it.. If its even possible or not. 

Visual Studio isn't small. Its a very big IDE for web development. 
And GoDaddy is a good Hosting Service So Why are they so distant from each other? 

I tried looking it up on Google - Searching "Godaddy - Visual Studio - Publish" I end up with a very bad Indian Video from 2010 and afew posted guides from 2011 and earlier. 

How Come? This is actually an Outrageous thing. Why isn't there a Guide for this sort of thing? 

Publish in VS is the easiest thing. You make a profile, type your account details and press "OK" that is it. But to find the right settings for GoDaddy is near impossible. I only found something called "Plesk" that should be connected to VS Publishing here. But I couldn't find that in "hosting services". 

Can someone please help me how to Publish VS projects (with database) on GoDaddy? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @stephyswe, yes, I understand you. Believe me.

I'm sorry to tell you but in Linux shared hosting, there's no Plesk. It's only available in Windows hosting. Here you can see the shared windows hosting plans.

If you just purchased your hosting plan, you can ask support to give you a refund.

In my case, I never had a problem with refund.

Regarding the guide, you are right. Maybe GoDaddy has to make a guide on how to publish directly from VS to your hosting account.

Hope it helps!

If you find my replies helpful, give me a like or kudo 🙂
And if I solved your issue, mark it as solution 😄

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Helper VI

Hi @stephyswe, sorry to hear that 😕

What plan are you on?

Plesk is a control panel for windows servers. So in order to use plesk, you need a windows hosting, either shared, VPS or dedicated server.

Hope it helps!

Picture yourself in my situation, Jpablo. 

You made a site in Visual Studio. You really want to Publish it Online. But You can't find information on how to do that on your hosting service: GoDaddy.com. 

And to answer.. I'm on Economy Linux Hosting with cPanel. 
Does Linux Hosting work for this kind of publishing, or not?

Thanks for the detailed information what Plesk is.. but I'm still unsure where to find and how to use Plesk (if its possible with my current hosting service). 
Can you (or someone else) please be kind and Help me Track down where Plesk is.. and How to use it for publishing visual studio projects?

It's not just for me. Its a Community Service as well, as there isn't a Good Guide easily found on how Visual Studio Projects works in co-junction with GoDaddy hosting. 

And I will give you kudo but not a solve mark. Because I wish to actually Publish my Site on GoDaddy, when I can do that I will mark that answer as Solution. 

We all need to walk in order to run. So please don't run away. 

Hi @stephyswe, yes, I understand you. Believe me.

I'm sorry to tell you but in Linux shared hosting, there's no Plesk. It's only available in Windows hosting. Here you can see the shared windows hosting plans.

If you just purchased your hosting plan, you can ask support to give you a refund.

In my case, I never had a problem with refund.

Regarding the guide, you are right. Maybe GoDaddy has to make a guide on how to publish directly from VS to your hosting account.

Hope it helps!

View solution in original post

Jpadlo . Can you stay alittle while longer or reply later this weekend? 

I'm very grateful you found this. I'm also starting to understand this. 

1 months Windows Hosting with Plesk cost 70SEK, that is very OK!
I'm also just sign up for 3 months on Linux so for me its OK to have can have both running 
After I sign up how do I access Plesk? And does Plesk help me to
access and publish my Visual Studio Projects? 

OK.. So I purchased Windows Hosting. I'm not sure how to continue.. ? 

@stephyswe I have never used Plesk, but I will help if I can.

I have found this guide, which uses Web Deploy in Plesk to publish a site directly from VS.

And found that one user had issues with that, however it looks like @JesseW got it working, as you can see here.

Hope it helps!

@stephyswe I just see that you edited your post.

So, now you should be able to access your Plesk account, from your "My Products" page.

Then you should follow the guide I posted in my last reply.

EDIT: there's also this guide, on the community made by a fellow member. 

Hope it helps!

Hi, I still have issues with VS studio and GoDaddy. 

So.. re-cap. 

1. Bought Windows Hosting with Plesk 
2. Started Plesk Acccount

3. Downloaded "Web Deploy Publishing Settings" from Plesk Account.

- a file called: ww.stephaniie.com.publishsettings
4. In Windows, Started VS 2017, opened Project, pressed Publish.
5. In Publish(VS), Imported downloaded "web deploy settings" and clicked the button "Publish".
5b. Used your Jpablos tip about JesseW method (I think if you accept and save the certificate, you shouldn't see the warning any more. ) .
6. Output showed:

2>obj\Release\Package\PackageTmp.
2>Start Web Deploy Publish the Application/package to https://ww.stephaniie.com:8172/msdeploy.axd?site=ww.stephaniie.com ...
2>Adding ACL's for path (ww.stephaniie.com)
2>Adding ACL's for path (ww.stephaniie.com
2>Publish Succeeded.
2>Web App was published successfully http://ww.stephaniie.com/
========== Build: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========
========== Publish: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 skipped ==========

7. Started my homepage : ww.stephaniie.com - got this message. 

Server Error in '/' Application. Security Exception

Description: The application attempted to perform an operation not allowed by the security policy.  To grant this application the required permission please contact your system administrator or change the application's trust level in the configuration file. 

. Now sure how to continue .. 

@stephyswe from the error page, it says that there's a problem with the version between your app manifest and the referenced file.

I looked a bit into it, and found this and this, which may help you.

Hope it helps!