cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Adding/removing Cloudflare SSL on godaddy host

Hello, I am having a kind of a emergency and a really bothersome problem, I am using Managed Wordpress web hosting, but a package without the SSL included, so I decided for myself to find and install a free version of an SSL, since browsers kept saying my website wasn't secure. I chose Cloudflare and proceeded to neatly install it on my Godaddy webhost, but on the path of migrating to https, images on my site wouldn't load at all. I tried all kinds of solutions, my site on general tab of wordpress settings is still http://, but I can't change that since it's grayed out. I tried using multiple plugins and solutions for fixing my images, but none of them seemed to work. I also tried turning of Cloudflare SSL and reverting back to original Godaddy settings without an SSL, but my website crashes and I get an "SSL Handshake Failed" error, and I can't log in to my website, and my dashboard at all. When I additionally revert back to old settings in Godaddy domain and host, and turn off Cloudflare completely, site gives no errors, it just keeps buffering without an end. So I wanted to ask, is there a solution for fixing images on Godaddy host using third party SSL, or turning off the third party SSL and reverting to custom godaddy host settings without an SSL and without attempting to crash my website further. Thanks you very much in advance!

13 REPLIES 13
Super User III
Super User III

Re: Adding/removing Cloudflare SSL on godaddy host

@contrubius 

In theory using the Cloudflare SSL "should" work, as it actually caches the site, however, I think part of the issue here is that unless you have the GoDaddy SSL installed on Managed WordPress, it doesn't activate port 443 and therefore some of the traffic may actually be blocked. 

Here is what I would recommend 

1) Disable the cloudflare caching / ssl (you may have to click on the little cloud icon to get it to go bypass cloudflare

2) If you can get into the admin of the site do a flush cache (you can also try accessing the site with /?nocache=1)

3) Assuming you can get into the admin and flush the cache, I would then switch the DNS settings back over to GoDaddy

If you can't get into the site (#2 above) you will have to call into support as they have some tools from their side of things to flush the cache / reset the permissions with the site.

Hope this helps

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Ok, I logged on into the Cloudflare account, I thank you very much for your fast reply, but could you be a bit more specific, as I don't want to crash my site again.

1) Where here exactly do I disable caching caching.png

2) For a flush cache, I go "Purge everything"?

and under 1) did you mean this cloud icon located in the DNS settings of cloudflare? cloud.png

Super User III
Super User III

@contrubius 

1) Yes there is the flush cache in Cloudflare - but I was actually talking about the flush cache in Managed WordPress - via the Managed WordPress menu

Screen Shot 2019-07-23 at 7.10.02 AM.png

2) Yes right now because the cloud is "orange" with the line going through it it means that the website is being processed via CloudFlare 

If you click on it you will get a grey cloud and the line going around meaning that it is bypassing cloudflare.

Cloudflare is a helpful platform when you don't have caching already configured on your site / server - otherwise you are "double caching" which can cause issues / delay content changes from being displayed

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Thank you once again for your thorough answers and time, I can't even express how much it means to me. With that being said, I am troubleshooting on the web, but without much luck, how to revert my DNS back to godaddy, as I tried it once, and my website was down with an SSL handshake error, or simply buffering infinitely with no errors when I attempted to switch DNS back to godaddy from custom Cloudflare settings. I just want to doublecheck if I'm doing things right. So:

I am able to login to my wp admin, I flushed the cache once to test, and I did so successfully

- I still didn't disable the Cloudflare cloud as I want to doublecheck all the steps I'm supposed to take:

-Godaddy DNS: This is my current DNS setup, I tried reverting it back to Godaddy once from Cloudflare, but as I explained, it just crashed my site, however, I might have done it wrong, as I just completely disabled Cloudflare and simply tried reverting back to Godaddy DNS (with no successs) Could you please guide me what am I supposed to change in the DNS settings?

Screenshot_15.png

Once again, thank you very much for your time, I can't even imagine how confusing or tiresome this might seem to you, but resolving this issue means a world to me, as I tried dozens of solutions with no success....

Since my previous image got blocked, this is my current DNS setup 

It can't display my DNS information since it isn't managed by godaddy

and my Nameservers are currently custom cloudflare nameservers, how do I  go about changing that without crashing my site, getting SSL Handshake errors or infinite bufferings...

Screenshot_1.pngScreenshot_2.png

Super User III
Super User III

@contrubius 

What you need to is change from the custom servers back to default and then right away update any of the IP address settings to match to your current settings in cloudflare.

I will try changing in a bit of time, I am still hesitant as I saw that it takes a lot of time for godaddy DNS to come back (up to 24 hours) and I can't really afford my site being down. So, I just match the IP information of godaddy when I revert with the ones located on the DNS cloud on cloudflare site?

PS. I just used site whynopadlock to troubleshoot and lock down my problem, does this help in any way to pinpoint the problem even more, since everything else is green, except for this part, or is my problem still changing the DNS settings?

Screenshot_16.png

Hello, as I still haven't resolved this issue and I tried the solutions from the above, but my site still won't load or redirect my HTTP pictures to HTTPS and therefore won't show them on the browser at all. I tested my SSL in wordpress, and after a test I get this message:

This page checks to see whether WordPress can detect HTTPS.

Tests completed.

It looks like your server is behind a reverse proxy. The recommended setting for HTTPS detection is HTTP_X_FORWARDED_PROTO.

Your server environment shows this:

Array
(
    [PHP_FCGI_MAX_REQUESTS] => 0
    [GD_PHP_HANDLER] => 
    [WPAAS_SITE_ID] => ........
    [REQUEST_SCHEME] => http
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@contrubius 

So I went to your site and it appears you are still going through cloudflare.

It also appears you have a couple of images that are not converting to https so you are getting mixed content.

1) I still recommend bypassing cloudflare as you have the potential for double caching

2) I'm not sure if you have one of the versions of Managed WordPress that includes the SSL from GoDaddy - if so you should be able to just install Really Simple SSL and the plugin will find the settings that are still referencing http vs https  

If not you may have to look in the database as that is why you are getting the script error because there are a couple of references (like to the logo) where it is HTTP vs HTTPS

Hello and thanks for the fast reply, as usual, I'm amazed at how fast you reply!

1) I disabled Cloudflare caching and reverted Godaddy to my default domain holder and set it as my primary domain, but when I turned off custom domains from cloudflare and set it back to default and reverted everything back to godaddy, the site wouldn't load to anyone except for me on my computer until I would revert back to Cliudflare domain caching and custom domain names.

2) My Managed Wordpress package does not contain SSL certificate in or protection in any form, I have installed Really Simple SSL and a bunch of other plugins for redirecting HTTP to HTTPS, but none of them seem to work, with that being said, my site on general settings is STILL under http instead (of) https, but I'm unable to change it to https as Godaddy is not my primary domain now, and I can't change the site name at all, it's grayed out. Also, in my Really Simple SSL, 301 .htaccess redirect is currently disabled, it recommends me to enable it in order to gain a better conversion of http to https, but there is a chance it can crash my site when I enable it, so I currenty have it disabled as I'm having some issues in logging to my FTP  account if I need to change .htaccess if my site goes down once I enable it. Don't know if any of these two could potentially resolve the issue if I took a (BIG) risk and change them, which I would probably need to do anyway.

Super User III
Super User III

@contrubius 

You sort of have a chicken / egg thing going on here - given that you don't have SSL from GoDaddy you should NOT have really simple ssl as the the SSL certificate from CloudFlare is a proxied one - it sort of works differently.

There appears to be 2 images causing the issue (at least on the home page)

1) is the logo - it has to do with the responsive sizing of the logo

2) Poll loading image - you maybe able to edit the plugin to get it to reference the https  I usually accomplish this by changing http://  to  // so that the browser decides

As I mentioned by using cloudflare you have to watch that GoDaddy has something cached AND cloudflare does as well. 

This is really not the recommended method but I can understand why you would do this - Personally I would recommend purchasing the SSL from GoDaddy so it would resolve this all together - also then the certificate would be in the domain name vs shared via CloudFlare

So if I were to purchase the godaddy SSL, would I first need to somehow turn off the Cloudflare one, or do anything about the Cloudflare SSL in order to activate the Godaddy SSL, or the purchase takes care of that for me? This seems to have been to only safe solution left, but I don't want my site crashing in an SSL conflict or anything, and Godaddy Customer Support is nonexistant in my country anyway.

Super User III
Super User III
Solution

Here is what I would do - 

Step 1) Change the name servers back to GoDaddy from CloudFlare and make sure your DNS is all setup in GoDaddy

At this point your site should still be loading fine over HTTP - but not just yet over HTTPS 

Step 2) Purchase the SSL Certificate from GoDaddy - The basic Domain Validation for one site should be all you need

If the certificate does not auto install - once you purchase it - there is a section in the certificate manager that says re-key / manage -> Change site -> then you select the Managed WordPress site from the list - click save and click submit saved items - then it will install and you should be good to go

In theory this shouldn't take that long - make 20-30 minutes for everything - you may want to wait until the evening (your local time)