cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

After gereating CSR, do I just wait?

I purchased a UCC bundle of 5 certs from Godaddy and successfully installed one of them on one of the domains I have in my Godaddy Enhance business product. But I was still getting security warnings in browsers when visiting the site at that domain. Upon checking the status in c-panel I saw it said it is a self-signed cert, which will cause this.

I have followed all of the instructions I found so far, including generating a CSR (certificate signing request). This thread from another post on this forum was very helpful, but it must be locked because I cannot post my question there as a reply.

https://ca.godaddy.com/community/SSL-And-Security/SSL-certificate-installation-CPanel-Self-signed/td...

My question is, after I generate the CSR, what next? I copied all the code it generated into a txt file, but am I supposed to paste it somewhere, such as to replace what's in the original CRT window? Or is generating the CSR the final step, and I just have to wait the 24-72 hours for my cert to be signed?

14 REPLIES 14
Super User III
Super User III

Re: After gereating CSR, do I just wait?

@springtide 

So once you generate the CSR you would have to go into the certs are of GoDaddy to apply the CSR to the certificate bundle you purchased  - which in turn should allow you to download the cert and install it for the additional domain

https://www.godaddy.com/help/add-or-drop-subject-alternative-names-from-my-ucc-certificates-4649

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Thanks. I just tried following the instructions in the article you linked to, but I got the error "You can not add a SAN that is the same as the domain you are already using."

To clarify what I had already done...

I successfully installed one of the certs in the bundle to a domain I had previously added to my account. This domain is not the primary domain in my account. The primary domain is protected by a different cert that came with my product bundle and that one was automatically installed by GoDaddy.

But apparently the new cert for this additional domain is "self signed", so browsers still display the security warning when someone visits the site. What I am now trying to do is get the third-party validation so it's no longer self signed. I thought that's what generating a CSR is for. After all, the acronym stands for "Certificate Signing Request".

You said I need to "apply the CSR to the bundle." I am guessing it involves copying some of the code the CSR generated and pasting it somewhere, but I do not see any obvious places to paste it, nor are there any instructions for what to do once the CSR has been generated. Thanks for helping.

When I use the certificate checker tool, I get "val is undefined" just below the field where you enter the domain. In Certificate Chain" I get:

Certificate chain is incomplete, missing intermediate(s)

Super User III
Super User III

@springtide 

Can you by chance post a screen capture from the cPanel certs area to show what is there as well as the certs area in GoDaddy - this is one of those things that is much easier when seeing it 

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

certs1.pngcerts2.png

Super User III
Super User III
Solution

@springtide 

You want to delete the self signed one as you have the GoDaddy one installed as well

Aha! So I deleted the other self-signed certs that were shown there, as there was a GoDaddy one for the primary domain (training.ara.bc.ca) too. There was also a self-signed cert for one of the other domains I  added a couple of months ago (natacanada.ca) for which I never even requested a cert. Go figure. Anyway, this looks a lot cleaner now:

certs3.png

Hopefully this resolves the problem (and now I know what to do next time!)

I'm sure you have better things to do with your time, so I really appreciate the help!

Highlighted

Nope...still not there yet 😞

Do I now have to install the certificate? When I try, it does not populate the private key area. When I paste the private key it says it doesn't match.

Or now that I deleted the conflicting certs, do I just have to wait 24-72 hours again?

Super User III
Super User III

@springtide if you select install it should auto populate everything and then be good to go

It populates everything except the private key window.

certs4.png

When I go to Private Keys and click Edit for that domain's key, copy it, and then paste it into the Private Key window in the install screen, I get this:

certs5.png

Super User III
Super User III

@springtide 

I believe the private key should be in the zip file you downloaded with the certificate

Okay, I used the one I downloaded when I started this process, and I no longer get the mismatch error. Now, when I use the Godaddy SSL checking tool, I get no more errors. However, I still get the security warning in the browser when visiting the site. maybe now I just have to wait out the 24-72 hours? Fingers crossed. And thanks again.

Super User III
Super User III
Solution

@springtide 

Try restarting your browser https://arfi.ca/ works fine for me no errors

Ah, simply refreshing did not work in Firefox. Restarting did.

You're awesome - thanks!