cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
New

Code Signing Renewal - using new cert with private/CSR from previous years?

When you get a new code signing certificate after renewal how do you create a new pfx using the previous years private key? Or maybe the question is how do I create a new private key/CSR from lasts years private key or CSR - I really don't know? How to use a renewed certificate seams like something that should be more obvious, and in the standard help pages for how to use the thing you've just purchased!      

I searched for hours (as I have other years), then called support who said it was 'possible' just google pfx converter - not very helpful. Other years I have given up and just ReKeyed - but I would really like to know how to do this 'properly'

This is currently on Windows 7

3 REPLIES 3
New
Solution

Re: Code Signing Renewal - using new cert with private/CSR from previous years?

Finally worked it out... so I'll post here to help any others frustrated with this...

[1] Use the article "Converting an Exported PFX Code Signing File to PVK and SPC Files using Windows" to get a PVK file.

[2] Use the Microsoft tool pvk2pfx to use this PVK file and your new SPC file to create the new PFX - with something like:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\bin\x64\pvk2pfx" /pi oldpassword /pvk PvkFromOldPfx.pvk /spc newdownloadedspc.spc /pfx NewPxfName.pfx /po newpassword

Hi!

Thanks for posting your solution.

I am currently requesting a "Renew certificate" and it provides some value in Code signing request (I guess it is the value from the previous year, when I requested certificate). Is it ok, to use that same value for renewal (I will use certicate on the same machine as previously) or do I have to recreate that Code signing request? Perhaps you can help... since you managed to get this completed

P.S. I just don't get why there is no proper documentation for this, seems to be,  "regular" stuff... Smiley Sad And leaving responsibility to solve issues to community itself.

New

Hi, yes I just did the renew certificate, hence why you then have to go through the above method to get a new PVK file from your old PFX.

I think, if I remember correctly, that other years I had given up and just 'rekeyed' the new certificate.

Regards

and good luck