Skip to main content
Help Center
The GoDaddy Community will undergo maintenance starting on Tuesday, August 3rd at 3pm PST / 6pm EST. Learn more
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Nubiesan
Getting Started

Do I need a SSL SAN 5 certificate for one website?

I just received a bill for almost $600 for an SSL SAN 5 certficate.  I have not been able to find any documentation on what this thing is.  I have one website but registered additional domains.  Do I need this certificate?  The additional domains do not have any content.

Why would I want something like this?  What does it do that the included certificate does not?

Thanks for your input.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ablake
Community Team

Hi @Nubiesan, welcome to the community!

If you don't have content on the additional domains, you don't need the SAN SSL. You use a single SSL to protect the website. 

The only difference between the SAN SSL and a single (regular) SSL is that the SAN protects multiple websites. Since the website content only exists on one of the domains, you shouldn't need multiple certificates even if you point the other domains to it.

That probably confirms your initial instinct. If it's within our refund policy, you can contact support to get a refund for the SAN SSL & use that toward the SSL product you need.

Angela B - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ablake
Community Team

Hi @Nubiesan, welcome to the community!

If you don't have content on the additional domains, you don't need the SAN SSL. You use a single SSL to protect the website. 

The only difference between the SAN SSL and a single (regular) SSL is that the SAN protects multiple websites. Since the website content only exists on one of the domains, you shouldn't need multiple certificates even if you point the other domains to it.

That probably confirms your initial instinct. If it's within our refund policy, you can contact support to get a refund for the SAN SSL & use that toward the SSL product you need.

Angela B - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

View solution in original post

Nubiesan
Getting Started

Thanks so much