Skip to main content
Help Center
The GoDaddy Community will undergo maintenance starting on Tuesday, August 3rd at 3pm PST / 6pm EST. Learn more
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
raypow
New

Frustrated with managing hosting and SSL certificates

Ive about had it!! I have had my subscription including business hosting through c panel. Ive got a website plus ecommerce package. And its just sitting there useless! Oh ive spent hours and hours on here trying to get things right. For example the last one, Possibly the straw that broke the camels back so to speak, dealing with this stupid self signed ssl certificate. Ive read and reread everything and i dont get this [removed] at all. Godaddys award winning team thats there 24-7 to help? I dont want to talk on the [removed] phone im already mad! The chat just sitts there and loads. Community suggests getting a third party app or something to make the certs work,for three months. Screw all that, Theres enough on here i have to do to maintane the [removed] site without adding stupid ssl maintanance. Ive had it.I dont even want to try to learn it now.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@raypow 

So I'm still a little confused on which products you have

1) https://www.godaddy.com/websites/website-builder/plans-and-pricing 

This is GoDaddy's DIY tool which is the Ecommerce Websites + Marketing I think you are referring to - this comes with an SSL certificate as part of the site so there would be nothing else you need but to point the domain to the site

2) https://www.godaddy.com/hosting/business-hosting-plans

This is the "Business" Hosting - These are higher performance cPanel / shared servers - the plans "should" include free SSL certificates as you can see from the link

You DO NOT need both 1 & 2 - you would need / want #1 if you are using the DIY builder and it meets your needs, you would need / want #2 if you were building an HTML/PHP site or running WordPress for your site.

If you are using #2 AND your domain is already posted to the server, you should be able to go Into the SSL settings in cPanel and there should be an option to get the Free SSL Certificate

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
PL281
Super User IV

@raypow 

I am an end user like you and I hear the frustration in your post. In sounds like you have a least 1 hosting product from GoDaddy (Business Hosting/cPanel) and perhaps you have the Websites + Marketing (eCommerce) or WordPress - Not sure on this part.

Let me share with you that your questions / comments while not that common are not unique and not just to GoDaddy - I've seen posts where someone has registered a domain and they then ask where do they put their website files, not realizing they need hosting as well.

That being said...depending on which level of hosting you are on, GoDaddy includes SSL certificates with some of the plans and others you have to purchase an SSL certificate. Certain products (like cPanel) allow you to install your own certificates where as other require that you purchase a certificate from GoDaddy.

Based on your further comments in your post, It sounds like you are looking to get SSL added to your cPanel and what might have been suggested was to use Let's Encrypt which is free (so a cost savings) but has to be renewed /re-installed manually every 90 days.

While cPanel (and Plesk) are fairly straight forward to use, there is still a bit of technical knowledge you need to understand / follow.

If you are running a WordPress site - you may want to consider the Managed WordPress offering - I only suggest this as then all you have to worry about is the site itself (plugin / theme updates and content) - as GoDaddy takes care of the server side of things - Just mentioning this in case you weren't aware.

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

I apologize for the rant........I have the ecommerce with marketing website, business hosting and everything i need. Im aware you must purchase hosting ect. I understand how it all works except this ssl. if i have one idk where its at (maybe i deleted it) i dont know. Everything keeps taking me around in circles and im to renew june 21st! litteraly gotten no where the past 2 months and i finaly got mad. Ive not6 given up, but im definatly regrouping and , if need be starting completly over after i do alot more research. Nobody really discloses how hard some of the aspects of building a site and making it function correctly really is. If ity helps im not an idiot, Im a machinist by trade which is extremely complicated. im capable of learning this, but wow its not all easy.

@raypow 

So I'm still a little confused on which products you have

1) https://www.godaddy.com/websites/website-builder/plans-and-pricing 

This is GoDaddy's DIY tool which is the Ecommerce Websites + Marketing I think you are referring to - this comes with an SSL certificate as part of the site so there would be nothing else you need but to point the domain to the site

2) https://www.godaddy.com/hosting/business-hosting-plans

This is the "Business" Hosting - These are higher performance cPanel / shared servers - the plans "should" include free SSL certificates as you can see from the link

You DO NOT need both 1 & 2 - you would need / want #1 if you are using the DIY builder and it meets your needs, you would need / want #2 if you were building an HTML/PHP site or running WordPress for your site.

If you are using #2 AND your domain is already posted to the server, you should be able to go Into the SSL settings in cPanel and there should be an option to get the Free SSL Certificate

View solution in original post