cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Helper II
Helper II

GoDaddy | Cloudflare | Error 525 | SSL Handshake Failed

Just 5 days ago, we started to experience "Error 525: SSL Handshake Failed" issues with our website via Cloudflare (CF). Our website is hosted by GoDaddy (MWH). We've been a loyal customer of CF and GoDaddy for 2 years and have never experienced this problem before.

Upon researching the issue with CF, its engineers confirmed the root cause is due to intermittent GoDaddy origin server responses when pinged by CF. They provided a copy of their logs which we shared with GoDaddy Customer Support (via email and over the phone) to substantiate the issue.

Unfortunately, the responses we received from GoDaddy were shocking. Here's a summary of their responses (over the course of 2 days of calling and trying to get a practical answer from them):

(1) "Well, it's not our deep concern to worry about an issue created by another company." (i.e., Cloudflare)

(2) "We talked to our Level II techs and they said GoDaddy is not creating the issue."

(3) "If you wish, you can pay extra so we can troubleshoot the issue. Our Managed Wordpress Hosting services do not cover additional troubleshooting."

(4) "Well, you know that we also offer CDN services and can help you with that ..."

(5) "Since you're on a Managed WordPress Hosting Plan, if this were a major issue, we'd hear about it from other clients." (this said although the tech admitted they don't have a knowledge base or process to capture common client issues for quick resolution).

Last, here's what we did to ensure our website was not causing the problem:

(1) We checked and confirmed with CF that our Crypto and DNS settings in Cloudlfare are correct and are pointed to the IP provided by GoDaddy.

(2) We re-installed our SSL Certificate (purchased from GoDaddy) and confirmed it's working properly (or at least we think it is).

(3) We shared details of the GoDaddy SSL Certificate with Cloudflare to ensure it meets their CA requirements.

(4) We confirmed that NONE of our website plugins affect this issue (i.e., interface with the SSL Certificate). For example, we turned off iThemes Security Pro and Fast Velocity Minify and the problem still persisted.

Based on the above, is anyone having the same issue? If so, what was the resolution?

Special Notes:

(1) It is my understanding that GoDaddy is doing some upgrading work with their Managed Wordpress Hosting (Apache) Servers, but they are saying that it's not causing this issue.

(2) Data package and other details about this case available to anyone who knows how to troubleshoot and fix this issue. Package consists of our written conversation with CF and a copy of their logs.

17 REPLIES 17

Re: GoDaddy | Cloudflare | Error 525 | SSL Handshake Failed

I am getting the same issue which started several days ago. All is exactly the same. No help or more updates from GoDaddy. 😞 

Product Team
Product Team
Solution

@CXLeader @dddfraser Hey folks, sorry about this.  This was an unintended side effect of a DDOS mitigation effort.  This is now and should be working for you again (let me know if not).  I'm sorry for not updating you sooner, I just came across this thread.

I'm also sorry for how we handled the communication and addressing of the the issue as you described, you deserve better than that as a loyal customer.  This was a tricky one for us to track down, but that's no excuse for how we handled it.  Sorry about that!

Thanks,

Gabe

Gabriel A. Mays
Head of WordPress, GoDaddy
Helper II
Helper II
Solution

Hi Gabe @Gabe,

I commend you for coming forward to share your response, update, and fix. Yes, we're up and running again.

Not sure what the overall impact of this issue to GoDaddy's clients was, but here's what it caused us (mid-size consulting company):

(1) 36+ net labor hours wasted

(2) Conversion rate dropped 3-5%

(3) Google, Bing, and Yandex rankings dropped 25%+ (recovery will take a while)

Based on the above, while appreciated and accepted, a simple "sorry" is not enough. Kindly share your follow-up plans to ensure this won't happen again. Our troubling questions are:

(1) Why didn't GD's front line customer service agents know about this? They took many "hits" for you and your department.

(2) How can communication channels between GoDaddy and Clients be improved? (for example, Cloudflare and many other hosting companies post a "Service Alert" on their website when there's a software or server-level issue beyond client's control).

(3) Why has GoDaddy stopped issuing Customer Feedback Surveys (via email) for customer service agents? And if any issued/answered, does anybody at GD read and do something about them? (GoDaddy appears to never "listen," because they know "everything.")

Again, thank you. Just trying to help. The issue doesn't simply end at "sorry." Further action is highly recommended.

Cheers!

Hi Gabe,

Quick question for you. I've contacted GoDaddy a couple of times about this issue. I've spent an hour on the phone, and probably twice that on a live chat. All I got was denials. Which is fair, given I only talked to first tier support guys who absolutely refused to pass escalate the issue.

But now that it is resolved, where's the Email follow up? Where's the update? Where's the apology? It seems absurd to me that I need to trawl this forums to hear that I am not crazy.

I use managed hosting to avoid headaches such as this. Now I see no reason to stay with GD.

Helper II
Helper II

Hi @Gabe,

If you don't mind, several more questions about this issue and previous comment(s): (Hint: Share with leadership for review and action)

(1) Why isn't this table updated when necessary? > GoDaddy System Status Table

Note: It did not reflect the status you described while we were experiencing subject issue.

(2) Who's responsible for updating it?

(3) Why isn't it provided as a direct link inside our MWH website dashboard? (It would definitely save GD a lot headaches when there's a system issue)

Thank you!

Helper II
Helper II

Hi @Gabe and GoDaddy Management,

Here’s one more datapoint (click below) indicating your Service Status Page is deficient.

https://www.godaddy.com/community/Community-Suggestions/GoDaddy-Service-Status-Page/m-p/118557#M5664

Can we have an update on this? I am still seeing errors this morining and godaddy phone support just point to cloudflare as being the issue, when it clearly isn't the root cause.

Product Team
Product Team

Hello @Pierrescotland & @CXLeader.  Can you confirm you're still getting this issue on Managed WordPress?

Thanks,

Gabe

Gabriel A. Mays
Head of WordPress, GoDaddy
Helper II
Helper II

Hi @Gabe,

The issue was fixed as reported a while back (see above). Have you looked into the above recommendation(s)? If so, what are the next steps?

In any case, an accumulation of verified issues with GoDaddy have given us no other recourse than to migrate some of our products to another hosting company. Their customer support service is spectacular. They always reply in less than 24 hours via phone, tickets, or chat.

Cheers!

We purchased 5 package Easy SSL package from Godaddy yesterday.One of our websites is on cloudflare and is giving the same 525 Error when we select the Full(Strict)mode on cloudflare.

I called Godaddy Support and as usual Cloudflare was blamed for the issue.

I requested them to uninstall the certificates since our website and subdomains were not functioning

Now I am in a situation where I paid $450 yesterday and I do not have functional  SSL certificates.

Can someone help

The same problem called and chatted with Godaddy. i have used godaddy and CL without any problem . From this Monday everything is down. webchat recommended moving to other hosting and when i called them - they say the problem is CL not godaddy... i have 23 websites there with ultimate hosting and all down...

Hello, I had this same issue about a year ago or so. I am now experiencing this issue as we speak for the past 3days. I’m getting same results as everyone else in terms of asking for support, I’m happy I’ve found this thread. The only weird thing is, I’m using the go daddy webstore so all in one and I’m getting same issues with cf. I’ve spoken to cf about this last time and they checked everything for me. Last time, I remember we didn’t come to an agreement on what was really wrong. But, it randomly started working so I didn’t complain now it has started happening again, and I’m getting customers complaining. No one knows what the issue is on your support team. Is there anyone that can help me in regards to this ASAP.
Thanks

Hello @Gabe
Could you read my message above?
Helper II
Helper II
Solution

All,

For those experiencing the same issue we did (see above), I can confirm the issue is GoDaddy.

They will deny everything until they fix the issue (see Gabe’s response above, for example).

Solution: Migrate your website(s) to SiteGround. They will treat you like royalty and you’ll end up with a website that runs faster, is more secure, and for an excellent price. Go for the GoGeek plan. Well worth it.

Please don’t waste your time anymore with GoDaddy. Honestly, they don’t care about you (well, maybe a few but still unable to fix problems in an efficient, practical manner).

To further support my claim, look at the questions and suggestions I provided above. To this date, tumbleweeds! (no answers, they don’t listen).

If GoDaddy believes that losing several customers won’t matter, please allow me to share this:

“Even the greatest ships
can sink one small leak at a time.”

Cheers!

We are experiencing the same problem. We are managed wordpress. The loading time of the website was so slow yet godaddy support insisted that it was ok and so did the testing tool on godaddy. After giving up on godaddy support we started using cloudflare and when we did all the delay issues disappeared. Everything was ok untill a week ago when we started getting this SSH handshake 525 error. Godaddy deny the issue is from their side eventhough everything indicates it is. Please help

At the end was only solution to move everything to Bluehost...

I am running into this issue now. Are you doing another DDOS mitigation? IS the solution you came up with specific to each client or domain?