cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Moving to a new server - exported PFX certificate and imported but getting host name mismatch

We are in the process of moving our web application to a new server, and need to set up the certificate for SSL on the new server.

It's my understanding that I can export the certificate from the old server as a PFX file, and import to the new server.

I've done this - but I get the error:Screen Shot 2018-02-11 at 18.17.52.png

In case the screenshot above doesn't work - the error is host name mismatch.

Is this just because we haven't yet updated our DNS to point to the new server? Or do I need to do something different to effect the transfer.

Our certificate is not a wildcard certificate. It's for the domain cloud.ourdomainname.com where ourdomainname is, of course, our domain name!

2 REPLIES 2
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Moving to a new server - exported PFX certificate and imported but getting host name mismatch

Hi @JamesLavery. Welcome to GoDaddy Community! 

I'm fairly certain that you'll actually want to rekey your certificate if you need to move to a new server. You can find more information and instructions regarding this in this help article. Hope that helps. If not, feel free to provide more information. Others in the community may be able to provide you with additional suggestions.

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

Re: Moving to a new server - exported PFX certificate and imported but getting host name mismatch

Thanks - that article is pretty clear.

However, it looks like I need to wait until we're ready to make the new server fully live, and only then re-key and install the certificate on the new server. I can subsequently take the old server down. In this way the old server goes down before the old certificate is removed.