cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSL Certificate with local domain

Greetings;
We have local domain which is not published on Internet.
We have Cisco Wireless LAN Controller to manage Cisco Access Points.
On Cisco WLC, we want to use captive portal for authentication login, but this show certificate warning because it uses self-signed certificate by default, that's why we need public certificate to use it for this captive portal, but the domain we have is only local (internal), not on Internet, so how we can achieve that?

5 REPLIES 5
Rockstar II Rockstar II
Rockstar II

Re: SSL Certificate with local domain

You actually have several options for intranet website @ahmedmostafa. You already mentioned the self-signed certificate but you could also just add an exception in your browser so that you don't get errors. You don'teven need a SSL assuming that this is something internal and not anything that is customer accessed. 

Additionally you could create your own Certificate Authority using OpenSSL. If you wanted you could use a external signing authority but that won't be much use if this is something exclusive to your network. I have several machines for development and internal tasks that have never had a internet connection. If you don't secure your machines/websites individually please segment and secure your network. I hope that helps? 

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

Thanks for your reply.

Actually this authentication page on Cisco WLC will be accessed by both local users and guests on windows machines and phones (Android / iPhone) and we need them to see no certificate warning, we need it to look trusted for them.

Rockstar II Rockstar II
Rockstar II

If you have a machine that is connected to the internet and/or accessed by external used them I'd just go with a SSL certificate. It's a bit expensive (depending on the need) but it sounds like that would be best given your case? 

Again I don't know your exact environment but a free SSL from letsencrypt or a like company might also work? I'm not sure what the setup is but I think you can use letsencrypt for that? Let us know which you choose. 

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

Thanks for your reply.

Can you please advise if it's a must to register domain also? because the domain we have is local domain which is not registered on Internet.

Rockstar II Rockstar II
Rockstar II

I must not fully understand your situation, setup or intent @ahmedmostafa? Typically the easiest thing to do would be to have a public address but depending on your configuration an accommodation for a local domain accessed externally could be made. It seems like you'd want a "pretty" domain though since you are so concerned about the security notice?