cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

SSL and Forwarding with masking

Hi,

The site is showing as insecure while Forwarding with masking.

Example ;

I have website admin.example.com and I am forwarding admin.example.com/test -> test.example.com with masking. 

I have a wildcard certificate for *.example.com.

But still after forwarding test.example.com shows insecure.

Kindly get me a solution asap.

Gouuri
5 REPLIES 5
Super User III
Super User III
Solution

Re: SSL and Forwarding with masking

@Gowrishankar 

That is correct - if you are using the GoDaddy forwarding. GoDaddy Forwarding does not have an SSL Certificate on it so you get a mismatch - and the masking is really just loading an iFrame - for something like this I usually do the forwarding / redirect via cPanel

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Your suggestion to use cPanel to solve this issue is not helpful for those like me who ONLY registered the domain thru GoDaddy, and want to redirect it to a domain hosted somewhere else, because in this case there's no cPanel in which to configure a work-around.

Which leaves this being a serious bug / flaw / shortcoming in GoDaddy's support for forwarding, because https is nowadays mandatory for many browsers. They should either fix this or make it clear that their forwarding is not working to today's standards. I had assumed so when I paid for the domain reg, and now I'm stuck, with customers getting error msgs because their browser, especially on mobile phones, won't even give them the option to visit my site thru the redirection link (I'm NOT using masking, but just a permament redirect).

Any suggestion who to take this up with? Not by phone, because I (a) like to include sample links and images, and (b) like to get a written reply. Yet, the 24/7 support link at the top of the website only offers phone numbers?!

Super User III
Super User III

@tempelorg

I’m very sorry you feel this way. I know that there are some GoDaddy employees that monitor the community and can pass along your feedback.

From a tech perspective, aside from the ssl issue the masking can cause other issues for example someone recently tried to link to a 3rd party site and it was coming up blank because they don’t allow for their content to be loaded via a frame, which is how the masking works. I can also say that having framed ssl can cause issues if the content you are framing isn’t secure.

I know that cloudflare has some forwarding with ssl however it isn’t masking.

I did a quick google search and this seems to be the fairly standard setup for how forwarding works.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Thanks for your understanding and support.

Please note that I wrote that I am NOT using masking, i.e. your concerns may be valid but do not concern my particular requirements.

I only jumped onto this thread because it's the only one I could find that even talks about SSL & forwarding at all, and I would have opened my own if this had been a very long one, where side-tracking would have caused chaos. I hope you don't mind.

Highlighted

So basically: (1) Godaddy tech support turned to crap on me after 15 years of faithful doing business with GD.

(2) Some of us still purchase from Godaddy but host elsewhere.

(3) Godaddy refuses to help facilitate our subdomain sites that sit under sites which have Wildcard SSL certificates.

(4) So we stop purchasing from Godaddy and stop doing business with Godaddy altogether then. 

Got it! Thanks. I'll transfer all my domains to my new host and Godaddy can just be an old, sad memory. The last straw for me was when a GD employee stole a domain that I was right in the process of selling for $800 - suddenly gone from my account, and another tech told me he saw where it had "...disappeared about 1 minute ago".