cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Updating OpenSSH

Hello,

I was recently put in charge of doing our onsite IT work for my company. In doing that I need to make sure that we are PCI Compliant. One of the issues that we are having is that our OpenSSH needs to be updated. The problem that I am having is that I am not sure the way to do the updating. Our web developer said that it is something that needs to be updated on the server that our website is hosted on. GoDaddy support had no idea what I was talking about and said that I need to log in with putty to update it. From what I could see of what putty is that isn't what I need. I don't need to connect with SSH, I need to update it. Does anyone have any information to help me? Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Re: Updating OpenSSH

@mcscope 

The first question is what platform / server are you on - cPanel / VPS / Managed WordPress / Websites & Marketing.

Depending on your answer to the first question, you may have to switch platforms in order to be able to pass a PCI Scan.

If you are on a VPS where you have root access (not just SSH) than this can be accomplished - and it can be done via the terminal on WHM - 

To upgrade OpenSSH - I've had to to do it from sources - it is a multiple step process and you should make sure you are comfortable doing command line updates

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Re: Updating OpenSSH/?isc=gdcommment

>From what I can see we have Managed WordPress. When I log in and click on "My Products" Managed WordPress is one of the products. I can click that and it brings up a field saying "Deluxe Managed WordPress Websites" and then under that our domain. Is that platform able to update OpenSSH? Thank you for the help!

Regards,

Malcolm Cooper

Kaleidoscope Pizzeria & Pub
<personal data removed>

From what I can see we have Managed WordPress. When I log in and click on “My Products” Managed WordPress is one of the products. I can click that and it brings up a field saying “Deluxe Managed WordPress Websites” and then under that our domain. Is that platform able to update OpenSSH? Thank you for the help!

Super User III
Super User III
Solution

@mcscope 

No you are not able to update ANY of the server side elements - as this is a MANAGED environment you are restricted. You can select PHP version but that is about it.

I host the majority of my sites on Managed WordPress and it is great for the sites that don't need PCI compliance. However as of the last time I needed to do a scan, the platform itself would not pass a scan due to ports / protocols being open.

I have a VPS Gen4 which I host my WordPress sites on which need PCI compliance - Using ConfigServer Security & Firewall add-on for WHM I'm able to lock down the ports. Within WHM I was able to adjust the cyphers / protocols. Then it was just a matter of upgrading OpenSSH and one or two other items and it passed. I have my server scanned monthly by TrustWave

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community