Skip to main content
Help Center
The GoDaddy Community will undergo maintenance starting on Wednesday, July 28th at 3pm PST / 6pm EST. Learn more
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
qtsales
New

Wildcard ssl for domain *and* subdomains.

What I understand from reading the product FAQs is that, a wildcard certificate works on

*.mydomain.com

or

*.subdomain.mydomain.com

However, our website names are in this format:

www.mydomain.com

www.german.mydomain.com

www.french.mydomain.com

www.*.mydomain.com

Is it possible to get a wildcard ssl cert that works for this configuration?

7 REPLIES 7
Retired
Not applicable

@qtsales,

You are thinking too hard....

A wildcard SSL cert covers your main domain and sub domains of that domain. How you format your subdomains doesn't matter, as long as they are subdomains of the main domain.

As long as your subdomains are actually subdomains, and not separate domains?? In which case you would need a UCC cert: https://www.godaddy.com/help/what-is-a-multiple-domain-ucc-ssl-certificate-3908?

"A rose is a rose by any other name." same goes for subdomains. IF you are still uncertain then please reach out to support:

https://www.godaddy.com/contact-us.aspx

The web page below

https://www.godaddy.com/help/what-is-a-wildcard-ssl-certificate-567

states that:

If you request your certificate for *.coolexample.com, you can secure:

• coolexample.com
  • www.coolexample.com
  • photos.coolexample.com
  • blog.coolexample.com

If you request your certificate for *.www.coolexample.com, you can secure:

Neither of these will work for my case.  I would need a certificate for www.*.mydomain.com.  Correct?

Retired
Not applicable

@qtsales,

That's just written out that way to try and simplify the meaning. When have you ever seen 

www.godaddy.com/community (DOES work)....

written as community.www.godaddy.com  (DOES NOT WORK) ?

Unfortunately I know I could have explained it better......... so you would need to request your cert for 

www.mydomain.com and it would cover subdomains of that domain of:

1. www.mydomain.com
  2. www.german.mydomain.com
  3. www.french.mydomain.com.......... and also:
  4. www.double-dutch.mydomain.com

Please, please though, if this looks confusing please reach out to support before making a decision as it sounds like you are a little confused by it all if you don't mind me saying so. Please refer to support for further questions. Hope this has helped.

I'll take your words for it. 

To avoid confusion your web page can simply say: *.coolexample.com will work for www.coolexample.com, www.sub.coolexample.com, whatever.www.coolexample.com etc...

Why mentions *.www.coolexample.com?  Who would want to to request a certificate that will narrow down the number of names it can cover?

Retired
Not applicable

@qtsales,

Lol, I know @qtsales, it could be a bit clearer, I'm going cross-eyed reading it!! 

You have 30 days for a refund should you be dissatisfied with your cert or it doesn't meet your requirements. Please though don't leave this to the last day. As one person on the forum pointed out, it's 30 straight days, not 30 business days, she thought weekends were not included! 

The sooner you ask for a refund, the better it looks if you know what I mean?

Like me taking back a cake 3/4 eaten and saying it taste funny, or taking 3/4 back and saying it taste funny! (though the former is prob most likely.......... well it's CAKE isn't it?). Smiley Very Happy

Tech Support confirms my suspicion.  There is no wild card certificate that will cover www.*.mydomain.com.  It will cover either *.mydomain.com or *.subdomain.mydomain.com.  To cover www.*.mydomain.com, you need to UCC certificate (basically treating each as a separate sub domain).

Retired
Not applicable

@qtsales,

Tech support eh? 

Unless each of your www.something.com's has a separate IP address (NOT really a sub domain) then there cert advert is misleading. The 'www' bit is added by alias (CNAME) for each sub or not necessary at all. Unless you really require it. So perhaps that's what the problem is. I guess you want each sub to look like a separate domain. Pay the higher price for the UCC then.................... but technically I am correct that a wildcard covers main and subs of that main. 

Screen Shot 2017-10-20 at 22.19.05.png

Cat Very Happy “I must politely inform you that I am NOT a Godaddy employee, just a freelance developer trying to help out a little when I can. Have a nice day! Cat Very Happy