cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

completing certificate request disappears from server certificates

Hey guys,

I tried phoning godaddy but they said they couldn't help me because the server im installing the cert on is not one of theirs, its one in my office. This is driving me nuts.

https://ca.godaddy.com/help/iis-8-install-a-certificate-4951

im following the guide here. the bundle zip godaddy gave me contains a p7b and a crt. 

im at this step 

• File name containing the certificate authority's response — Click ..., locate the .crt file on your computer, and then click Open.

Which isn't accurate because IIS requests a cer file by default. I assume there are the same thing? When I choose to change the extension to all types and import the CRT it imports fine. The second I click on sites to set any bindings it dissapears out of Server Certificates. From my googling this means theres no private key? Seriously how do I get this working with IIS. There details tab on the cert indicates theres no problems (everything says ok)

if i import the crt into my personal certs and export, its still exporting with no private key. how do i do this ?

thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Helper V Helper V
Helper V

Re: completing certificate request disappears from server certificates

Try this:

The file extensions .CRT and .CER are interchangeable.  If your server requires that you use the .CER file extension, you can change the extension by following the steps below:

• Double-click on the yourwebsite.crt file to open it into the certificate display.
  • Select the Details tab, then select the Copy to file button.
  • Hit Next on the Certificate Wizard.
  • Select Base-64 encoded X.509 (.CER), then Next.
  • Select Browse (to locate a destination) and type in the filename yourwebsite.
  • Hit Save. You now have the file yourwebsite.cer
~Jan Mykhail Hasselbring Web Administrator @ wwwR.us
Email:support@wwwr.us Phone:4435-WWW R US or (443) 599-9787

Smiley Very Happy

LOL
New

How did ou solve your problem?   I'm having the same problem.  I successfully "Complete the Certificate Request".   If leave the server by clicking on one of my sites to go do Bindings it's not found tu be used.  When I return to the server in the left "Connections" pane of IIS8 and open "Server Certificates" the certificate that was there after the "Complete Certificate Request" is now missing from the list.

Why is it being removed?

Calling GoDaddy Support is worthless.

I am having the same issue. Calling Godaddy Support really sucks. Please help.

New

Hi, I am facing the same issue. last year I added one without any problem. So definitely nothing is wrong with my server and godaddy should provide support. Surely something wrong with SSL certificate generation.

Employee
Employee
Solution

Hi @KenMc@ecars, and @vectorgeo,

Thanks for writing in. This is an issue with the way that IIS handles certificates that have been renewed. After your certificate automatically renews at GoDaddy, you will need to rekey the certificate using the instructions here: https://www.godaddy.com/help/rekey-my-certificate-4976 

Once you've done that, and the certificate is issued, you will be able to install the SSL certificate without the bindings disappearing. Hope this helps!

Regards,

Nicole

Tech Writer at GoDaddy