cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

key file

I don't know what my private key is called so don't know what to search for on my linux pc.

Any idea what I can search for or can I generate a new one?

I have these 

ca-bundle.crt*

ca-certificates.crt

gd_bundle-g2-g1.crt

5fe1b55bc58060b7.crt

5 REPLIES 5
Super User III
Super User III

Re: key file

@Barrowman 

If you're trying to secure your site with a GoDaddy SSL, I would suggest checking out all the help articles they have on installing them. If you can't figure it out, GoDaddy will install them for a small fee.

If it's a 3rd-party SSL, your best bet would be to consult their help pages if they have any.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Thanks @MrVapor,

It is a godaddy ssl but i am running it locally on my laptop at present and later on a dedicated machine. Following the help just tells me I should put the needed files in the same place as the key file. As I don't have a clue as to what it is called I can't search for it and so I can't continue.

I am entirely new to setting up this sort of thing although not with computing, especially not Linux.

Super User III
Super User III

@Barrowman 

It sounds like you're trying to perform a more complicated setup than most people. If I'm understanding correctly, you're using a Linux OS computer to serve as your temporary hosting platform. Are you using any sort of server virtualization hardware to do so? Honestly, what you're doing is a bit more advanced than most setups, so I'd need a lot more information on how your setup works.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Re: key file/?isc=gdcommment

I have nginx, mysql, php and wordpress set up on the P.C.
It's currently a http site so I really needed to change to https.
I'm keeping it as a local site until I can get this set up.
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: key file/?isc=gdcommment

Hi @Barrowman. Thanks for posting. From what I was able to find online, the name of your private key (I'm guessing that's what you're looking for) is usually specific to the domain you're installing the certificate for. For example, if you are installing the certificate for mydomain.com, the key file might be mydomain.com.key, mydomain_com.key, or mydomain-com.key. I also found that it may have a .pem extension as well. However, if you can't find the key, you may want to just generate a new CSR file and rekey the certificate. 

You may also find this article about installing an SSL Certificate on NGINX helpful. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.