cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

"Your Connection is not private" NET:ERR_CERT_INVALID

Hi, yesterday I set up my old website to forward it to the new domain which worked fine. However when I try to access the old site on my phone, it gives me this error but works fine on my laptop. I'm not sure what I'm missing. Can you help? What certificate am I missing?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

No worry. You should have received 2 files for each certificate request. One will contain the actual certificate you purchased, the other would contain certificates of the authority that issued that certificate.

You may have installed only the first one on your server(s). You can try to test your server, e.g., with this web service:

https://www.sslshopper.com/ssl-checker.html

it should show most common issues.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Resolver III

Hi, there may be several reasons for that behavior, but the most likely one is that you didn't install the "bundle" correctly. Web servers should send not only their own certificate but also certificates of all intermediary CAs. Failure to do that results in intermittent errors (some users see no issues, some get an error) that partially depend on whether a given browser has missing certificates in its cache. 

It should be easy to find instructions for your particular web server.

Dan

———

I've worked around (not only) SSL security for over 20 years in enterprises and startups. 

I am now running an HTTPS expiry management service KeyChest.net

Thank you Dan for such a quick reply, however I don't know what a "bundle" is or "CAs". Both domains were purchased from GoDaddy and I would have thought they were ready (the initial domain that I purchased over a year ago was), so I wasn't sure what to do. I will reach out to them for instructions though and hopefully can get it up and going asap. Thank you again!

No worry. You should have received 2 files for each certificate request. One will contain the actual certificate you purchased, the other would contain certificates of the authority that issued that certificate.

You may have installed only the first one on your server(s). You can try to test your server, e.g., with this web service:

https://www.sslshopper.com/ssl-checker.html

it should show most common issues.

View solution in original post