cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
assap6
Novice

Who owns the number?

If I sign up for the SmartLine service and select a number I like, will I be able to keep the number if I later choose an alternate VoIP / phone provider?  Just like a domain name.  Once purchased, I own it and can transfer hosting from GoDaddy to another provider...  Thanks.

8 REPLIES

Re: Who owns the number?

Hi @assap6, I don't believe it's possible to keep the number if you elect to move to a new service.  I'll pass along your feedback through the proper channels for consideration in the future.  

MPC

assap6
Novice

Thanks!  It looks like GoDaddy's phone service offering is as a result of it's acquisition of FreedomVoice, which does allow one to keep the number Smiley Happy  The phone numbers that are available through GoDaddy and FreedomVoice appear identical (so one would suspect both services are being offered through the same platform) but the pricing is different...  And since I already have several other things with GoDaddy, it's be super easy to just add the phone service too Smiley Happy  Thanks for the quick response! 

Community Manager
Community Manager

assap6 wrote:

If I sign up for the SmartLine service and select a number I like, will I be able to keep the number if I later choose an alternate VoIP / phone provider?  Just like a domain name.  Once purchased, I own it and can transfer hosting from GoDaddy to another provider...  Thanks.

Hi @assap6,

Just wanted to followup with you and let you know that you can port your Smartline number to another carrier as long as your Smartline account is active and within good standing. Hope this helps!

Rachel

GoDaddy Sr. Community Manager
JohnWRummel
Novice

I read the reply by a Community Manager on transporting one phone number to another carrier as long as SmartLine remains active.  I'm understand this means one gets a new phone number for SmartLine once original number is transported.  (ending up with two phone numbers on two different carriers). 

Am I understanding this as written?

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @JohnWRummel,

If you decide to cancel SmartLine services, we will miss you but you can take the SmartLine number with you to another service. This is possible as long as your SmartLine account is active (not canceled) and SmartLine account is in good standing (meaning you've paid at least one bill after the free trial). Please let us know if you have any other questions. 

Rachel

GoDaddy Sr. Community Manager
toffeemoka
Novice

Hi,  in such cases, will SmartLine provide the account number or any proof for the porting? Thanks.

jt08201
Novice

RachelM wrote:

Hi @JohnWRummel,

This is possible as long as your SmartLine account is active (not canceled) and SmartLine account is in good standing (meaning you've paid at least one bill after the free trial). Please let us know if you have any other questions. 

Rachel

Sorry looking for a little clarification here.  Scenario:  I purchase smartline and pre-pay a year.  I use the service for 11 mos, and in my final and 12 month of using the service, I decide I want to port my smartline number to say XYZ Cellular.  I port the line successfully, and then 2 weeks later I cancel the smartline service when my pre-paid year is up.  I have already ported the line to the cellular carrier.  I assume i am then free to continue with the number with my new cellular carrier?    thanks.

kendajo17
Novice

Yes.  I just did that very thing yesterday.  Have to cancel your SmartLine option through GoDaddy, then sign up again to get a new number.  But I now have my original SmartLine number on my cell phone.  I gave my carrier the SmartLine number, and my customer number and PIN.  Also gave them my GoDaddy sales rep's number for any questions.  They had it changed over in less than 24 hours.  NOTE:  You have to cancel your SmartLine service throuoghy GoDaddy AFTER your number gets ported.  And you have to cancel it with GoDaddy before it will start working on your phone.  This is my personal experience with this situation today.