Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted
ckgoldstein
Skilled

500 error installing plugins after major update

I just update to 5.0.3 and let my plugins and themes update. One backup plugin failed to update and now I find I can't install any plugins or themes. 

I have disabled all plugins, but i have the same issue. I tried to add a web.config file after turning off custom errors, but no better error message appears. 

I am on a shared environment using Plesk to manage a windows server. Any suggestions? I have read all the other threads on this error, but can't seem to find a solution. 

12 REPLIES 12

Re: 500 error installing plugins after major update

@ckgoldstein wrote:

I just update to 5.0.3 and let my plugins and themes update. One backup plugin failed to update and now I find I can't install any plugins or themes. 

I have disabled all plugins, but i have the same issue. I tried to add a web.config file after turning off custom errors, but no better error message appears. 

I am on a shared environment using Plesk to manage a windows server. Any suggestions? I have read all the other threads on this error, but can't seem to find a solution. 

Morning,

500's are usually, (not always but....), do to the htaccess file. Did you happen to change anything in this file?? 

Default;

# BEGIN WordPress
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
</IfModule>

# END WordPress

Wordpress has a config.php file already - just enable the bug feature.

Hope this helps. Everyone will be upgrading if they have not already -

Mrsroadrunner Photography
ckgoldstein
Skilled

I have not changed anything other then to run the update. Where is htaccess located as i don't see one. 

GoDaddy Pro Trusted Advisor
GoDaddy Pro Trusted Advisor

Hey there @ckgoldstein,

The .htaccess file is located in the primary directory for the website installation. If this is your primary domain, it will be under the public_html directory. You can find that by utilizing File Manager in cPanel or by using a client to FTP into your server.

For instructions on how to update the file, Google is your best friend

Best Regards,

Joe

Check out my site! | My Garage Articles | Portfolio/Resume

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. I DO NOT PROVIDE ANSWERS VIA PM. If you would like personalized help, you can see my pricing on my services page. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

ckgoldstein
Skilled

I have a shared environment with multiple domains. 

Plesk is the management app, and using the Plesk file manager i see all my domains as directories, and my wordpress site as its own directory under one of my domains.

Nowhere do i see the .htaccess file. I have looked in all directories and sub directories. I do see other hidden files in other directories and the plesk file manager is set to show system files.

Others say there may not be one. . 

@ckgoldstein wrote:

I have a shared environment with multiple domains. 

Plesk is the management app, and using the Plesk file manager i see all my domains as directories, and my wordpress site as its own directory under one of my domains.

Nowhere do i see the .htaccess file. I have looked in all directories and sub directories. I do see other hidden files in other directories and the plesk file manager is set to show system files.

Others say there may not be one. . 

Evening,

See the settings in the right hand corner ? push that, in cpanel the preferences box will be a pop out box. There is where you will see "show hidden files (dotfiles). check that box, then save. now if there is a .htaccess file it will now be seen.

if not you can easily make a .htaccess file , i use notepad every day for such things. With the code above.

Lets hope this does it !! Get you on your way!! Smiley Happy

Mrsroadrunner Photography
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @ckgoldstein. A .htaccess file is something specific to Apache, which is only available on our Linux accounts. All Plesk accounts are Windows based. For a Windows account, look for a web.config file instead. 

If disabling that file doesn't work, you can try enabling detailed errors to help identify what the root cause is. This is done via the web.config file, so perhaps you've already tried that. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
ckgoldstein
Skilled

@JesseW

Thanks for that explanation. 

I have no web.config file, but i created one. Before the web.config file, the error looks like:

Installation failed: <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> 500 - Internal server error. <!-- body{margin:0;font-size:.7em;font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;background:#EEEEEE;} fieldset{padding:0 15px 10px 15px;} h1{font-size:2.4em;margin:0;color:#FFF;} h2{font-size:1.7em;margin:0;color:#CC0000;} h3{font-size:1.2em;margin:10px 0 0 0;color:#000000;} #header{width:96%;margin:0 0 0 0;padding:6px 2% 6px 2%;font-family:"trebuchet MS", Verdana, sans-serif;color:#FFF; background-color:#555555;} #content{margin:0 0 0 2%;position:relative;} .content-container{background:#FFF;width:96%;margin-top:8px;padding:10px;position:relative;} --> Server Error 500 - Internal server error. There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed.

After the web.config file I get:

Installation failed: Internal Server Error

That is trying to install 2 different plugins - an error for each install and less information with a web.confing file as directed in the help guide. 

Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

@ckgoldstein I'm not sure what that error would indicate. However, one thing that could be a problem for you is the PHP version available to you. The most recent version of WordPress requires PHP 7. However, this is not available on all Plesk accounts. Only accounts with the Onyx update will have access to PHP 7+. We are in the process of rolling this update out to all Plesk users, but it hasn't been fully deployed yet. If you don't have that type of account, you may need to consider rolling back your WordPress version. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
ckgoldstein
Skilled

@JesseW wrote:

@ckgoldstein I'm not sure what that error would indicate. However, one thing that could be a problem for you is the PHP version available to you. The most recent version of WordPress requires PHP 7. However, this is not available on all Plesk accounts. Only accounts with the Onyx update will have access to PHP 7+. We are in the process of rolling this update out to all Plesk users, but it hasn't been fully deployed yet. If you don't have that type of account, you may need to consider rolling back your WordPress version. 

@JesseW I am going to migrate away from wordpress as every update seems to break something. 

But why would you offer the wordpress update at all if you don't offer the version of PHP that is required? That makes no sense at all. I am sure you will say wordpress offers it, godaddy shows int in Plesk - godaddy could supress that. 

Community Manager
Community Manager

@ckgoldstein I can understand your frustration. Please keep in mind that GoDaddy is not the publisher of WordPress. We wouldn't be able to suppress the notices within WordPress to update. The update option within Plesk might be possible to disable but would likely take development work. Since we're putting that effort toward upgrading accounts, it doesn't seem like it's something we'll likely do though. Still, thanks for the feedback. 

ckgoldstein
Skilled

Just an FYI - waiting was the fix. Days later and some plugins are updated. Others error then update on the second try.

Hard to believe people pay for wordpress. 

I have had this experience in the past. Errors one day, updates work on another day. Go figure. 

Miki4
Novice