cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
New

Desperately trying to get my website with it's data back!

In the Fall of 2019, I realized that my website was very slow to upload. So I mentioned this to one of the GoDaddy guys who called me to check in on me. On his advice, I ended up buying standard SSL renewal for my website as well as Website Security Essential. And then life got busy until the past week when I tried opening my website. It said that it was not secure. So I submitted a request to GoDaddy to 'clean it up and make it secure again, only to find that actually the website ceased to exist as I had not renewed managed word press ( not sure if I received reminders or if GoDaddy did not send me a reminder). With shock, I realized that 5 years worth of work and photographs have disappeared into thin air. I am deeply disappointed that there is no back up of my website or my photos. I am still holding onto hope so that somebody at GoDaddy can find my data...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Kay10 ,

As far as you mac goes -- You might try a local repair shop.  There are also some online services that you can send an hdd into for repair.  Those can be very expensive.  My local guy is really good so check out some of you local reviews.  

I'm a bit of a backup freak.  I have a saying "Work hard, work fast, backup often."  You might also consider something like Carbonite for cloud backups.  I use that in my brick-and-mortar and it has saved me a couple of times.

Good luck and hope this helps,

James

Not Just Pretty Sites, Pretty Doggone Smart Sites

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Super User II

@Kay10

What a drag....   Unfortunately, as I'm sure you can understand, backup copies of website databases cannot be kept indefinitely -- even for those who are paying for the service.

What you need to do is get in contact with GoDaddy Support right now -- the sooner the better to see if there is any chance of recovering your data.  This truly is a time-sensitive issue.

Then in the future, always make sure to keep a copy of your backups off-site (on your hard-drive or 3rd party storage) so that if this happens again, you at least have those copies to use to restore your website. 

I hope things work out for you.... 😉

Judith
"You have to be odd to be number one." Dr. Seuss

Thanks. 

Hi @Kay10 ,

There is a site called the Wayback Archive.  I don't know if you're site has made it there yet, but you can go here:  https://archive.org/web/   -- see what pops up.  I recently retrieved about 20 pics and text from an old site of mine.  It certainly was not a perfect solution to publishing, but it got me started.

So sorry you're in this situation.  

James

Thank you so much for this tip! I found several pages with photos and content of my website! I am so thankful to you. 

I wonder if you also know of a good place that can help me recoup photos from my crashed Mac-mini??! as you can see, I'm in a bit of a mess all because I procrastinated with my back ups.

Hi @Kay10 ,

As far as you mac goes -- You might try a local repair shop.  There are also some online services that you can send an hdd into for repair.  Those can be very expensive.  My local guy is really good so check out some of you local reviews.  

I'm a bit of a backup freak.  I have a saying "Work hard, work fast, backup often."  You might also consider something like Carbonite for cloud backups.  I use that in my brick-and-mortar and it has saved me a couple of times.

Good luck and hope this helps,

James

View solution in original post

Thanks. I have started using iCloud for my back ups...never heard of Carbonite. It seems to be more expensive- 6/month compared to 1.05/month. 

I am going to practice backing up on my Cgate every month. And will keep your mantra in mind!