cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

Forbidden You don't have permission to access / on this server. Server unable to read htaccess file

hello someone can help me.

i go to my website i see this message

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access / on this server.
Server unable to read htaccesss file, denying access to be safe

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

so, i go to my cpanel i not see anything file manager in public_html folder.

how to fix it someone can help me.

i am begineer.

sorry for my bad english 😞

19 REPLIES 19
Helper VI Helper VI
Helper VI
Solution

Re: Forbidden You don't have permission to access / on this server. Server unable to read htaccess

Can you edit your .htaccess file, if you do not have one, make one

~Jan Mykhail Hasselbring Web Administrator @ fullstackwebsolution.com
Helper VI Helper VI
Helper VI

Re: Forbidden You don't have permission to access / on this server. Server unable to read htaccess

Ok... ummm. Did it work?

i cannot find .htaccess file in filezilla

New

hi @JHasselbring
I have the same issue

I do see my htaccess file but dont have a clue what to do with it

can u please assist?

TNX!

Helper VI Helper VI
Helper VI

Show me what's in it
New

# BEGIN WordPress
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
</IfModule>

# END WordPress
Helper VI Helper VI
Helper VI

What did you do prior to this error?  your htaccess looks fine

New

basically, i've uploaded backup files of my WP website taken from hostgator

i checked the wp-config file and updated it with the correct DB name, user and password

i really dont know what do to next

Helper VI Helper VI
Helper VI

@kr74,

Possibly compatibility problem... What you should've done is:

Install WP on new site, install the theme you used from your old site in case it runs codes on install, upload a copy of the theme from old site then upload your database data.  Your theme might've been dependent on something installed on your DB.

New

Wow...

Sounds WAY over my league..

Guess it's time to get some paid pro to do it for me.

Thanks a lot!

Will update.

403 Access Forbidden by CSRFProtector! - yet doesn't seem to affect anything

I've had my WP sites with you for a couple years. Since Friday, I've had an error crop up after I log into my admin area on ONE of those sites. The only thing I updated lately was JetPack, but I've updated it on the other sites and it hasn't caused a problem. 

I tried to upload a screenshot, but it shouldn't take more than a couple seconds to upload a 5 kb file.

So the error says "403 Access Forbidden by CSRFProtector!"

I looked up the error online so I get that it's a PHP error, but I don't understand what it has to do with my WP site. As it started acting more than a day after my last updating of JetPack, I can't see why that would be the problem, but it's the last update I did. 

And from my side, I don't see that it's doing anything. It gives me the error, but still allows me to go about my business. However, it keeps popping up. Not every time I log in, but it's now popped up 3 times. Once on Friday, once on Saturday, and again this morning. 

Anyone else having the same problem and know what to do about it?

@JHasselbring wrote:

@kr74,

Possibly compatibility problem... What you should've done is:

Install WP on new site, install the theme you used from your old site in case it runs codes on install, upload a copy of the theme from old site then upload your database data.  Your theme might've been dependent on something installed on your DB.

I used a simple index.php file with nothing but text in it (no other folder in my public_html) an no other folders with an empty .htaccess file and it still didn't work.

When I try to access the website via my IP and username like below, it gives a file not found error

http://IPADDRESS/~accountusername

Hello,

I have the same problem. Is there some solution?

Thank, Mike

I got in the backend of WP. 

And than I ran all updates and voilà.. the page is working now!

go.PNG

i don't have any file ?

Solution

I think you are trying to access a folder.

Check is the folder has .htaccess

Yes)  Then change the folder permission to "755"

No)   Then create a new one.

That's ALL!

Smiley Wink

What i can write inside the .htaccess file.

New

Great... This worked for me

Thanks a bunch.