cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted
Tribo
Novice

Getting 503 Service Unavailable with WordPress. What should I do?

Hello,

I currently have 8 plugins installed on my Wordpress website. I persistently get a 503 error and GoDaddy support seems like it can't really help. Can someone give me a clue on how to solve this, before I take the decision of switching ISP?

Thank you

1 REPLY
GoDaddy Pro Artisan
GoDaddy Pro Artisan
Solution

Re: Getting 503 Service Unavailable with WordPress. What should I do?

Hey there!

A 503 Service Unavailable Error is an HTTP response status code indicating that a server is temporarily unable to handle the request. This may be due to the server resources being overloaded or down for maintenance. This could actually be caused by a lot of things, including but not limited to the types of plugins/themes you're using (usually not the case though.)

What you'll want to do first is determine the underlying cause. You'll want to check the resources on your cPanel like Concurrent Connections and AWStats. In AWStats specifically, check to see how many bots are hitting your website. It may be a simple case of needing a firewall. Here's how resource limits affect your hosting.

Another possibility is that you're just not on the right type of server. Do you have multiple sites on a shared server? That can cause the issue, too.

If you could provide us as much information as possible about these things:

- What is your site URL?

- Type of platform you're hosting on and the level

- What do your resources look like?

- Are you using a firewall like Website Security Deluxe or Cloudflare?

Reviewing the resources I've provided and answering the questions will go a long way into helping figure out what the underlying issue may be.

Best Regards,

Joe

joeforrest.com | Writer, WordPress Dev, Linux Hosting Guru